• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 3:06pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my second sparring session this afternoon. Great fun again, and we went double sticks this time too.

I recorded a bit of it this time, so you could experience the full extend of my gothtarded ass-hattery.

Here is a picture of me looking like I might know what I'm doing:

Here's a video making it clear that I don't:

It was our last session, so I could blame it on being tired, but I fear this may have been our best performance anyway.

Its all as I expected it to look really, except for one thing. Compared to how it felt, it all looks like it's in slow motion. It felt like everything was happening pretty fast, but clearly not. I thought adrenaline was supposed to have the opposite effect.

There is appears to be a major lack of power in the strikes, but I think this is out of mutual politeness. It's early days, and we are both English Gentlemen. We can fix that.

I can see loads to work on (bad footwork, hunch-back, blocking with my head, single-range, etc.) What am I not seeing that I need to fix, or what is it I need to work on first as a priority?

On the up-side, I made some excellent Yorkshire puddings this week, so here's a picture of me doing something well:

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 3:14pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking good.

With the caveat that I'm not very experienced myself (but I do spar a lot) I'd say you probably want to work on combos, don't just counter with single strikes, try to give him a 1-2, especially on the way out (people score on me all the time doing this).

Also, AFAIK Arnis alliance allows strikes to everything from the toes up, so don't be afraid to beat up his legs to slow him down.

Thirdly, is that a Blitzsport helmet I see?

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 3:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I'd say you probably want to work on combos, don't just counter with single strikes, try to give him a 1-2, especially on the way out (people score on me all the time doing this).
    Thanks Fuzzy. It's a throwback to my TMA Japanese martial arts heritage. Every time one of us moves, and the other makes a single counter move, I think its finished, and press reset. It's a hard old habit to break. The compliant training I get in class has fostered it fairly too :-(

Thirdly, is that a Blitzsport helmet I see?
    It's not. I was going to get a Blitz one, as I get trade rate there but was advised not to on the basis that they only do two sizes (Junior and Adult), so might not fit well.

I went for a Playwell one in the end as they do 4 adult sizes.

"To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 3:33pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Thanks Fuzzy. It's a throwback to my TMA Japanese martial arts heritage. Every time one of us moves, and the other makes a single counter move, I think its finished, and press reset. It's a hard old habit to break. The compliant training I get in class has fostered it fairly too :-(
    I totally get that myself, so I know where you're coming from. As much as I dislike the compliant nature of drills like Abesedario I find they really help to imprint on my brain the idea of HIT HIM MOAR. No doubt one of the more experienced FMA guys will be along with good drill suggestions.

It's not. I was going to get a Blitz one, as I get trade rate there but was advised not to on the basis that they only do two sizes (Junior and Adult), so might not fit well.

I went for a Playwell one in the end as they do 4 adult sizes.
    I see, it looks a bit similar to my Blitz one in the video so I was going to warn you that they're not great when compared to the WEKAF ones, putting you at a possible disadvantage.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally prefer a more dynamic footwork. Keeping a boxers bounce, circleing more, and only moving in to strike. Otherwise staying just outside of his effective striking range. That would allow you to control the fight a little more and not stand flat footed right in front of him taking strikes.

Also try what crafty dog calls "snakey" stick movements. When you hold the sticks without moveing them, it can cause you to telegraph your strikes. It kind of feels gay when you dance around waving your sticks, but I noticed that it relaxes me and makes my strikes quicker.

Just my $0.02! Good video!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd add in a 3rd thing after the 1-2 exchanges you're doing.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 12:58pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take tango lessons.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd add in a 3rd thing after the 1-2 exchanges you're doing.
    Can you spell that out for the thickie please. (unless there was vid in your post - I'm on the iPhone)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Take tango lessons.
    As well, or instead?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you spell that out for the thickie please. (unless there was vid in your post - I'm on the iPhone)
    Basically, I saw lots of exchanges where one person is extending one stick out to occupy the opponent's stick, then swinging the other stick somewhere else, then moving back. So, a 3rd thing would be following up after the 2nd shot.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha. Thanks for that.

I find it hard after sticking that first stick out, to bring it back in again.
    I used to have the same trouble in Thai boxing after throwing a jab.
    If the opponent reacts aggressively instead of defensively (or we just both make our move st the same time, that initial probe (or jab) just turns into a cowardly extended arm trying to hold the bad man away from me.

I'm guessing that third thing is going to want to be with that first hand, so that's going to take some work.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast