Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:13am

Style: MACP Level 1 +1 Mana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't suppose you'd think about making trips to the North County area...I know of a few places there.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali11324 View Post
    Ideally, I would be able to introduce the idea of aliveness to the place I am already.
    You pay them to teach you, not the other way around, no?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:54pm

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SARS_Attacks View Post
    I don't suppose you'd think about making trips to the North County area...I know of a few places there.
    I am in the North County. I am in Rancho Bernarndo just south of Lake Hodges. I know of some good places in Poway but I want to start my search right in the neighborhood and then branch out as need be.

I brought the up idea of shopping around and looking at different at dinner. So we are going to do that. Of course the first reaction of my kids was like, "No we really like this place." And that is fine, but I explained to them that if they want to continue here, they need to be open to checking out different places. Then if we go through the available options and they really can't find a place that we can agree on as a family, we will stay where we are. I also said that if we are going to stay where we are their will be some caveats.

They have BJJ there two nights a week from 7:30-9:00 taught by a brown belt named Tommy Moseley (sp?). I think Tommy has a very young kid in the youngest kids class. They did the regular point sparring class and then joined me in the BJJ class. My 7 year old loved it and my 10 year old was kinda luke warm about it. They are going to start coming with me every Tuesday and Thursday now.

On the sparring thing, they do point sparring for the kids and I'm fine with that for younger kids. I am aware that you can pick up bad habits from point sparring, but I am ok with it as an introduction. The weird thing is that as you get older, their is less opportunity for live training. So they will spar from like 7 years old until they become teenagers and then there's no more sparring???? Although when I ask them about sparring for adults it seems like they used to just a couple of months ago and they talk about it as if we are going to start again.

So the plan for now is to continue at this place while we are shopping around and taking free classes everywhere that will let us.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $120 a month for point sparring and 2 nights a week for brown belt BJJ instruction is extremely high for a school in San Diego county.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 8:14pm

Style: MACP Level 1 +1 Mana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in the North County. I am in Rancho Bernarndo just south of Lake Hodges. I know of some good places in Poway but I want to start my search right in the neighborhood and then branch out as need be.
    I probably should've specified that I was referring to the Escondido and San Marcos area. I know Esco has a Gracie Barra gym on Grand Ave. San Marcos has the SD BJJ Academy run by Paulo Fernando...and unless they've moved(which they may very well have) I believe is over by Hometown Buffet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:09pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    $119 seems pretty high to me, your in San Diego its one of the best cities in train BJJ the rates are cheap because of the competition something like 70 schools in the county and we have some top notch people that have trained some awesome instructors such as
    Fabio Santos
    Dean Lister
    Saulo
    Xande
    Oh man I didn't know the Ribeiros were in San Diego. I pretty much exclusively took Baret Yoshida's class when I lived in SD (I trained off and on, which is part of why I'm still so lousy).

To the OP: you are not going to convince the Kajukenbo instructors to add aliveness to their training. They have almost certainly heard any argument you can throw at them from other students before you joined. They've probably heard it from the Jiu-Jitsu guys and FMA guys who operate out of their school as well. You should go ahead and try to make the case for aliveness anyway, but you're unlikely to succeed. At that point, you'll probably have to consider leaving.

How long have you been at the Kajukenbo school?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 7:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad, he's in California and can't find one of the good, alive Kaju schools.

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 2:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stonghold the gym I train at is opening up a location in Rancho Bernardo
    they are 1st starting off with one class a day at the rec center
    check out their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-St...44839218882732
    I cannot stress this enough of how good of a coach, Coach Henry is with the Kids.
    Go check them out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 2:22pm

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Stonghold the gym I train at is opening up a location in Rancho Bernardo
    they are 1st starting off with one class a day at the rec center
    check out their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-St...44839218882732
    I cannot stress this enough of how good of a coach, Coach Henry is with the Kids.
    Go check them out
    Thanks, this looks really good. I can't be there on the 2nd for their first class but I will definitely check it out the following week. I am guess that depending on the turn out, they are looking at opening an actual school in the area.

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 4:46pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as they may talk and truly believe their Kajukempo style. The place just does not have the aliveness that it should. The kids point spar once a week and as adults we do no sparring whatsoever.
    That majority of Kajukenbo is pretty alive; no point sparring, lots of contact, sparring with every class. It sounds like you have a bit of an outlier. Maybe show him a video of Fight Quest Kajukenbo, and say that you are interested in that type of training?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast