Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob here to learn

Hi all, quick background and introduction-

My names Gav, im a 26yr old Male, trained in Kung Fu and Kick boxing as a kid but stopped at 15-16. Since then ive just been bodybuilding and im missing the martial arts allot recently. Im starting Muay Thai next week plus abit of BJJ and Krav Maga. Ive joined here to learn and discuss those disciplines and others with those in the know. Im miles away from being able to do the splits again or being fighting fit but im looking forward to getting there.

Any tips are more than welcome.

Gav.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Gav. I'm 26 too! Anyway, I just started doing Muay Thai, and if nothing else it'll whip your ass into shape (in a way that is different from bodybuilding). Doing BJJ too sounds awesome. Have fun here, and don't be surprised if you get questioned re: whats going on at your Krav Maga classes.

chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers lordbd. The Krav Maga is a monthly 6 hour day course run by Komie Haghighi. Unfortunatly thats the only class in my area. Not ideal but its just a top up of another discipline to add to my regular Muay Thai and BJJ classes/training. I decided on Muay Thai and BJJ for the high cardio levels involved, with bodybuilding im big built and strong but have lost my flexibility massively. Plus I like the simplicity of Muay Thai, whilst it still being practical, powerful and very effective.

Have you/do you train anything else besides your new Muay Thai class?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy86 View Post
    Cheers lordbd. The Krav Maga is a monthly 6 hour day course run by Komie Haghighi. Unfortunatly thats the only class in my area. Not ideal but its just a top up of another discipline to add to my regular Muay Thai and BJJ classes/training. I decided on Muay Thai and BJJ for the high cardio levels involved, with bodybuilding im big built and strong but have lost my flexibility massively. Plus I like the simplicity of Muay Thai, whilst it still being practical, powerful and very effective.

Have you/do you train anything else besides your new Muay Thai class?
    Two different types of cardio, even. The MT-BJJ combo does wonders for your body, even if you're already in bodybuilding shape. I used to do both, thought I was in pretty fair shape when I started too. Obviously, I had no idea what my body was capable of, yet.
    Good choice. I promise you'll have fun, and with that combo, you'll definitely learn a lot of practical stuff.

Good luck continuing your MA journey, and welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do qigong daily as part of an iron palm conditioning thing and I just started submission wrestling once per week. My main thing is MT though. I have a tae kwon do and akkido background too.

chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The head trainer at the Gym/Dojo is Jim Burns. He wrote the book, the art of boxing and seems to be very strict with tecnique and form.(Glad he is this way) He works closely with Al Peasland, a well known close protection trainer in the UK. Cant wait to get back into it now. Started my old stretching routine tonight ready for next weeks lessons.

chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know much about the iron fist training, I will have a read up on it tommorow. Off to sleep now, its 1.30am and im up for work in 5 hours :-(

Thanks for the welcome lordbd

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers slamdunc.

chewy86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot to mention/ask. There is a bloke at work who teaches the... As he refers to it 5 Martial Arts of the samurai. Does this add up/make sense or is it bullshido? If not I may slip the odd session of that in with him, to widen my skill set as they use "live swords" as he refers to them and other weapons. this may help with my self defense knowledge in regards to defense against weapons and street attack situations.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last