Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 7:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I think it's a simple miscommunication.

Many judoka from my club will often give me an advantage in ne waza just so they can work from a disadvantageous position and work their way out.

For them, it's not a matter of "Oh look how much I'm better than you, I can give you a head start and still win!" It's a matter of them getting prepped for a comp.

This plays well for both me (more of a counter attacker than attacker) and for them.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 12:01pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my point of view if the skill differential is large it is up to the less skilled person to be the aggressor. It gets a little hazy with coloured belts fighting each other but had the OP been fighting his instructor I would consider laying back and waiting for a mistake lazy and disrespectful. Maybe BJJ culture is different in this regard, I can only speak from a Judo POV.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 12:23pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    From my point of view if the skill differential is large it is up to the less skilled person to be the aggressor. It gets a little hazy with coloured belts fighting each other but had the OP been fighting his instructor I would consider laying back and waiting for a mistake lazy and disrespectful. Maybe BJJ culture is different in this regard, I can only speak from a Judo POV.
    I think BJJ strategy is a bit different in this regard. Consider: In judo, if you have me pinned, you're winning and it's my job to get out of there; you have no reason to move. In BJJ, if you have me pinned but aren't doing anything, it's just stalling; I know you'll have to move if you want to win.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12