223864 Bullies, 3714 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 81
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. XXIV is online now
    XXIV's Avatar

    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mount Olive, NJ
    Posts
    541

    Posted On:
    7/26/2012 1:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a white sash w/ stripe in Hung Ga kung fu because I decided I didn't like testing for belts and could measure my own progress after that. IIRC there's no real governing body for some TCMAs so i figured it'd make little difference.
  2. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:37pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rank happens.
  3. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    7/26/2012 10:30pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    I'm a white sash w/ stripe in Hung Ga kung fu because I decided I didn't like testing for belts and could measure my own progress after that. IIRC there's no real governing body for some TCMAs so i figured it'd make little difference.
    Sounds like a cop out to me.
  4. XXIV is online now
    XXIV's Avatar

    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mount Olive, NJ
    Posts
    541

    Posted On:
    7/26/2012 10:53pm

    supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Sounds like a cop out to me.
    Actually I ended up moving away about two years ago to be honest. I still train there when I can get back down south, I just don't test for sashes. I have a much different (and good!) relationship with my Sifu than I do with my coach up here.

    I can see how it would sound like a cop out though. I didn't word my initial post very well and re-reading it, it sounds almost 'pissy' so my apologies for any misunderstanding Omega.
  5. Kave is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    72

    Posted On:
    7/26/2012 10:55pm


     Style: MMA noob

    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Sounds like a cop out to me.
    Sounds sensible to me. I stopped being interested in grading in BJJ, partially because I only compete in No-gi. Wrestling/Muay Thai/Boxing etc don't seem to need belts, and personally I don't feel like I need any recognition beyond my competition record (which is currently pretty poor, but I hope to change that).

    The only reason why I would consider grading at my current school, is that higher grades have access to harder classes, but other than that I really see little-to-no value in gaining a coloured belt.

    I guess if you're training in a dead art and have no way to realistically measure your progress (beyond time spent training) then ranking may be of value. When I trained in Wrestling the lack of a ranking system was not ever an issue, and now that I am training in a system with ranking (BJJ) I truely fail to see any useful advantage that ranking provides
  6. doofaloofa is online now
    doofaloofa's Avatar

    I'm Svelte!

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 4:17am

    supporting member
     Style: mma

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its more important to have a belt colour that you like, or that goes with your gi

    Green brings out my eyes
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
    ― George R.R. Martin
  7. DaidoJukuJoe is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 9:34am


     Style: Daido Juku - Kudo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blue Belt in Daido juku. Rigorous 30 minute warmup followed by 100 jump squats and pushups, light sparring for 15 minutes against numerous opponents, then finally 2 minute Kumite. I've done two in a year and a half, the first from white to blue, the second just moved up one kyu. I hate belt testing. Probably won't do it again, I leve Japan in 6 months. Essentially got two belts in two years.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:05am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    Sounds sensible to me. I stopped being interested in grading in BJJ, partially because I only compete in No-gi. Wrestling/Muay Thai/Boxing etc don't seem to need belts, and personally I don't feel like I need any recognition beyond my competition record (which is currently pretty poor, but I hope to change that).

    The only reason why I would consider grading at my current school, is that higher grades have access to harder classes, but other than that I really see little-to-no value in gaining a coloured belt.

    I guess if you're training in a dead art and have no way to realistically measure your progress (beyond time spent training) then ranking may be of value. When I trained in Wrestling the lack of a ranking system was not ever an issue, and now that I am training in a system with ranking (BJJ) I truely fail to see any useful advantage that ranking provides
    That's because you're an idiot. Even MMA has ranking of sort, as does wrestling. Saying you've grappled 4 years of high school and wrestled since you were 9 does not hold the same weight as Olympic Champion. Who'd you think was more dangerous? If you're at a school that holds ranks and belt and you opt out of testing or accepting your rank then you'd better be willing to be honest about your resume when you go to practice.

    One of my white belts just tapped out a bjj brown belt in competition. I awarded him his rank right there. Everybody else's comment was "What took you so long?". I told them if you're going to keep ducking promotions then I need something tangible to point at when we validate the rank. I think that's validation enough.

    We have higher rank that will only grapple with higher rank because they know it's safer. Our active fighters shy away from the beginning classes for the same reason. There's rank in all aspects of martial arts even combatives.

    You compete in No gi? There's rank according to experience.
    You compete in Muay Thai? There's rank or would you put an amateur with a pro?
    You compete in Boxing? Great, look at my Muay Thai comment.

    Get over yourself. This is an old tired argument and you don't have enough bullets in your gun to prove your point.
  9. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,138

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 12:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I think its more important to have a belt colour that you like, or that goes with your gi

    Green brings out my eyes
    White brings out my pasty, Irish complexion.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  10. doofaloofa is online now
    doofaloofa's Avatar

    I'm Svelte!

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 12:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    White brings out my pasty, Irish complexion.
    Though black is classic and goes with everything
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
    ― George R.R. Martin
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.