Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 9:06am

Style: Goju Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what you mean..I donīt believe in grades and donīt grade myself....officialy graded once because sensei made us go to the black belt officially...never came back :)

Just train for the sake of it. But really, most martial arts are serious and teach you the basics to fight pretty fast. Also when you teach you have to contemplate that different students have different goals. Karate for me has to be individualized, not everyone is the same and different people require different techniques.

In old times not all the Katas of the curriculum where taught in Goju Ryu. Choyun Miyagi, the founder taught maybe 3 Katas to someone and other different to another being depending of their physical qualities.

Everyone bashes Karate and praises Muay...forgeting they are sooooo similar. This meaning that both can teach you how to fight fast enough.

Also the sparring varies a lot from different places, but full sparring is one of the things you have to do since you start training, learning with the seniors and your teacher. Is obvious that if you donīt fight, you are not going to learn how to fight.

As I say itīs all contemplated within any serious system.
    IN Muay you do a LOT of shadow boxing, and technique in front of a mirror...and I dont hear people assuming that they donīt spar/fight...because of the very complete competition aspect of the art.

But there are Gyms that do Muay Boran, and no competition and many gyms for Tourists in Thailand where they do Bullshit sparring for Tourists...Meaning this that when something becomes huge and famous, thereīs always going to be Mcdojos etc...karate was HUGE and now itīs paying the price...but also people are aware of the bullshit and are looking for the real deal.

Nowadays with all the info around is hard to bullshit anymore...also thanks to BULLSHIDO, as I am learning myself jeje...looking to the Luke Holloway post right now...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 1:31am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a two-part question here.

(Part 1) Are you more interested in training traditional karate or in learning to fight and/or defend yourself? If you are training just because you love karate and you're not interested in being a real fighter, then it's time to find a new club. If you're really interested in practical fighting skills, though, we go to Part 2.

(Part 2) Is your karate instructor really qualified to teach this other stuff? Does he have any rank/certification in the muay Thai and jiu-jitsu he is adding to your training? A very common story these days is a TMA instructor who takes a few lessons in BJJ or kickboxing and then starts teaching them alongside his own art to try and seem more legitimate.

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 5:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Much depends on situation.

I've spent much of my "professional" life in occupations where one of the more prominent tasks involve breaking up fights and getting the combatants off the premises.

In such situations, one must be cognizant of what degree of "attack" (if any) is legal. When we get younger, newer guys at any club I've worked, I remind them of two things: 1) they are always on camera (in addition to club-cam, bystanders whip out the smartphones as soon as voices get raised or glass breaks), and 2) never do anything you cannot justify to a judge if things wind up in court.

That means listening to all sort of provocation (short of death threats, which are actionable within reason) without suckerpunching the douchebags who make them--but being ready to act the nanosecond the provocation becomes more than verbal. Yes, that means regular alive-training and yes, that means you have to take the role of "attacker" when you spar and roll. As Riv pointed out, the best way to learn to deal with a potential adversary is to learn what he does and why.

I'm not aggressive by nature, but will react to any attack with enough legal force to end the attack and expel the attacker. Another doorman once told me that the world is not just predators and prey, it's not that simple: some of the "prey"--such as African cape buffalo--are very dangerous to any predator that attempts to take them down. Cape buffalo kill more lions than are killed by any other animal (including armed humans).

I've only competed when it was required for advancement. In a competition context, I might have made a good ref, but not a fighter...unless the situation I'm facing is actually dangerous, I'm just not aggresive. Some people are just like that, but that doesn't necessarily make them easy targets in a self-defense scenario.
    Cape Buffaloes sometimes (when stalked) circle and actually ambush the hunter..being a herbivore means nothing to those ghetto cows.
    BTW from your experience as a doorman, what is the most frequent attack you see from your average pub guy?

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    BTW from your experience as a doorman, what is the most frequent attack you see from your average pub guy?
    Unarmed, you mean?

Pathetic attempts at grab-left suckerpunch-right, AKA hockeyfighting.

Armed? Same thing with a bottle or something in the right.

EDIT: The Cape buffalo circle-in-the-grass trick has even cost the lives of armed human hunters. The latter don't seem accustomed to think of anything that looks bovine being able to think and act tactically.

Fact is, even a glance at the eyes of wild animals shows their difference from domesticated ones. The wilderness does not forgive stupidity.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 5/30/2013 2:16pm at .

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 9:55pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FassMaNo1 - sounds like you've had a rough time at some points. Check out Jeet Kune Do as a solid discipline. It differs from most because in the power stance your strong side is your lead side. This closes the distance between you are your opponent which allows for less time to strike with efficiency.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234