Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:40am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good starting position for me? People keep coming over the top

I am having this problem, I roll, with a bunch of young explosive guys and they are just too quick for me.

At the beginning I could muscle them but those days have passed.

I am 30 5,10 fairly strong but not that fit, not enough to keep pressure on.

I am just looking for some techniques or even a style I should pursue, its getting to me a bit how easily I am getting put on my back but I just don't seem to have any answers for their attacks and scrambles.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having been in your boat 2 times now, I can tell you that it really is just going to come down to putting the time in on the mat.
    Their is no "secret" technique to help you over come stronger faster more technical people.
    Start focusing on the basics big time, my best guess would be to really start paying active attention to your base/combat base
    I also highly recommend
    Doing this

to improve your pressure and movement.
    But yeah it is going to come down to getting into better BJJ shape and putting the time in to get use to the timing and intensity.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My approach to dealing with people who are much stronger and more explosive is

• If I end up on my back, that's OK, but I don't try to play closed guard -- they explode and they stack and they pressure and it's uncomfortable. Rather, I play any kind of guard that lets me take pressure off. Half guard with knee shield, half butterfly with knee shield...knee shields are my bread and butter here: I don't care how hard they pressure or how much weight they bring to bear if I can carry it on a mechanical structure rather than with strength. They can't collapse my femur, after all.
    • From the top, I want to put as much weight down and exhaust the more athletic players as much as possible. I do this either by playing a mobile knee-on-belly, where I follow as they squirm; or by going to conventional side control, making sure to get high by the head and far from their bridging strength at the hips, and killing the near arm. I might avoid mount since the explosive players can bump me, but I'll look for the back.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those drills look like cool things to do solo if you're away from the gym. Does it matter what size ball you get? (At first I mean. I have a medicine ball)
    Last edited by XXIV; 7/26/2012 12:54pm at .

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ the OP:
    Talk to your coach?
    We sometimes work specifics when rolling, ie say start in combat base and if you get
    put on your back>mounted, then reset.

Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    Those drills look like cool things to do solo if you're away from the gym. Does it matter what size ball you get? (At first I mean. I have a medicine ball)
    Yes, it's based on height and there's usually a chart on the packaging or sometimes on the balls themselves.
    I'm sure if you google "stability ball size chart" you'll get what you need.

edit: Andre Galvao and Leo Vieira

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, 65cm. They're great to sit on at work too, so comfy.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually with that particular drill it is good to switch between different sizes. The medicine ball will teach you different angles and pressure then one of the stability balls. Its good, I use to have 3 different sizes ones that I would rotate through doing 5-7 min rounds of constant movement with 1 min break for about an hour a day. I got pretty good at being "heavy" I really need to get back to doing it again....

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, 65cm. They're great to sit on at work too, so comfy.
    XXIV, please read the following stickie: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115963

All posts in the technique fora; Basic Technique, Advanced Grappling, Advanced Striking, Physical Training and the Armory, are moderated for on topic posting. We have other forums for meandering discussions, the technique fora are not among them. Please ensure that your post has something to do with the OP before you decide to hit the "submit reply" button.

Lastly, I realize you were probably not aware of any of this because you're new. So, don't sweat it.

You should know however that it is ultimately your responsibility to read the stickies (the threads at the top of each forum that say, "XXIV! Read me!") so that you understand the different posting requirements or guidelines of the different fora.

PSA: Fora is the Latin plural of forum.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I am having this problem, I roll, with a bunch of young explosive guys and they are just too quick for me.

At the beginning I could muscle them but those days have passed.

I am 30 5,10 fairly strong but not that fit, not enough to keep pressure on.

I am just looking for some techniques or even a style I should pursue, its getting to me a bit how easily I am getting put on my back but I just don't seem to have any answers for their attacks and scrambles.
    I've had the same issue.

I'm a big, strong guy, and as long as I'm on top, I'm feeling good. I think often for guys like us, we have to FORCE OURSELVES to develop a bottom game.

I start on my butt (damn near) every time I roll. I've been doing this for a couple years now. I get beat so often I should press charges on someone...but my open guard has gotten much better and I finally feel like I've got a solid strategy when someone is on top of me.

I feel like I wasted about my first 2 years of bjj trying to muscle everything. I was stubborn and stupid...and wouldn't listen when people laughed and told me that **** wasn't going to work. I mistook my success against people who aren't very good as actual successes.

So...my opinion...you've identified a part of your game that needs a lot of work. Embrace it and work that part of your game for the foreseeable future.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 7:32am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.

I wasn't looking for a secret technique but more just a path to follow. I generally start in combat base, and was also wondering whether a seated base going for butterfly guard might be better for me.

But there is definitely some things here that I am going to take on board.

cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast