Posted On:
    7/23/2012 1:58am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SFL- MMA Reality Show in India

India's Super Fight League! Wiki entry from their community Facebook page:

The Super Fight League, or SFL, is an Indian mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion. The organization was formed in late 2011 by Sanjay Dutt and Raj Kundra. The SFL is the first MMA promotion based in India. SFL events can be watched on Colors in India and on YouTube live worldwide due to a 3 year contract between the promotion and the website.

History
    The SFL was founded by celebrity entrepreneur IPL cricket team owner Raj Kundra and Bollywood megastar Sanjay Dutt in January 2012. It's intent is giving Indian mixed martial artists a platform to compete and grow in its home country whilst bringing in talented fighters from different parts of the world. They launched their first event on March 11, 2012, which was headlined by Bob 'The Beast' Sapp and James 'The Colossus' Thompson.

On January 1, 2012, Ken Pavia was named as CEO of the Super Fight League. He was asked by Kundra personally to become CEO of the SFL, with Pavia saying in an interview "Raj Kundra believes he needed experienced in each department of his organization and has put together the most impressive team that I have seen in 10 years in this sport".

On February 27, the SFL announced that they had signed Todd Duffee, Trevor Prangley,Baga Agaev, Paul Kelly, Xavier Foupa-Pokam and Lena Ovchynnikova to four fight exclusive contracts.

India's SFL is currently producing a reality show with male and female fighters. A bastion of progress!

Will they all be in the same house? Will it follow a TUF format of the later or earlier years? What does the winner win? Being the birthplace of martial arts, according to many, what is the calibre of the fighters from India? What is the state of MMA where nuclear weapons are constantly primed, aimed and ready?

With India having a massive potential market through sheer size of population, we must wonder the heights this organisation can reach. I have many questions mainly related to the Indian culture and whether this is in keeping with tradition, or against it and whether it will matter either way. Enlighten me.

As a relatively young organisation, I'm interested to see their growth in India, as they will be providing yet another rival to elbow the UFC in the face as Dana attempts to tap into the Asian market.

Also, ring girls. India comes second to Venezuela in holding Miss World titles. Yes, I went there.

Keep informed here: http://www.facebook.com/SuperFightLeague
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their first few events how have been notably crap. Case in point:

This new show gives me hope, though. It seems like they're finally focusing on fostering homegrown talent, and the female tournament is a huge plus.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 8:42pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Great Gama was from India; considered one of the greatest wrestlers ever. A wide variety of martial arts are indigenous to the country. So there is definitely a tradition to build on. I don't know much about India but have met very diverse people from there. I suspect you can't make a statement on whether this is in line with their countries overall culture. The population alone should eventually produce some serious talent. Sounds like a good development for the sport.
    Last edited by mike321; 7/24/2012 8:47pm at .

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 1:02am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The first episode.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.