Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Hitokiri88
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai and Kyokushin are among the best striking arts known to man. I've taken Kyokushin and I've seen the power of Muay Thai. As far Kyokushin practitioners not punching in the face, it shouldn't be much of a problem because you'll train punches powerful enough to knock someone out with a punch to the chest or stomach which is a much bigger target. Besides, who's telling you can't punch in the face in a SD situation, huh?

If Kyokushin offers a an extra hour and Saturday sparring class, you should run with that. That's a BIG bonus.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    The other thing is MT is 2hrs a week but karate is 3hrs plus there's the extra hour of sparring on Sundays.

That would be my deciding factor right there.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a free pass in that dojo or gym?
    If so you will want to do conditioning in the abs and legs so you can take the punches much better during fighting also practice some other excercises for Cardio, balance and power like striking the bag doing pushups, jumping squats and lots and lots of abs
    I learned late that all of that REALLY improves you at the time of kumite

Style
    SD, JJ, Kettlebells
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's another good point - I've never really trained for kumite/hard sparring. Back in my old TKD days the instructor just told us to get on with it so it was usually a bit wild and I am not sure what the point of any of it was.

Any recommendations for some good conditioning exercises for sparring or just jump in and see how it goes?

How long is it before you normally spar in kyokushin anyway? I know it's a feature of most belt tests.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's another good point - I've never really trained for kumite/hard sparring. Back in my old TKD days the instructor just told us to get on with it so it was usually a bit wild and I am not sure what the point of any of it was.

Any recommendations for some good conditioning exercises for sparring or just jump in and see how it goes?

How long is it before you normally spar in kyokushin anyway? I know it's a feature of most belt tests.
    The only way to get better at sparring is to spar. Sure, endurance exercises are good for this, but for your first few times you're going to get gassed, no matter what. Nerves, stress, and not being used to the possibility of getting your head, body, or legs rocked are going to make you tense up and tire much more quickly. The more comfortable you get with sparring (and realizing nobody is trying to kill you), the less tense you'll be and the longer you'll last.

Stay up on your cardio and spar, that's how you'll get better.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Abs lots of them to condition you muscles and a mild version of this to start

The part of the head is just a waste dont do that
    Ask your fellow practicioners for some sparring
    You should also do some jumping rope and trade mill to improve your cardio
    Hit the bag is also a must but I recommend you to start slow and focus on technique

About sparring where I train you can sparr from the first day but untill the blue belt (the first one) sparring is quite light
    the first day after I got my blue belt was ONE HELL OF A TIME I can tell you that , they go hard on colored belts and brown/black can sometimes expect to fight several fresh opponents in sucession

So my points are: Abs, trade mill, rope, conditioning, and stretching
    After some time (some months if you are keeping it up) do some harder conditioning more everything and start going to competition classes if they have them

As my sensei said: Its all about Conditioning but this must be progressive.

Always be hidrated before any class and dont forget to go the bath

Take it slow and gradually start pushing your limits, I'm on the process of preparing for a competition so I will also increase the days I train untill 5 per week.

OSSU! and good luck

Style
    Kickboxing/kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    both of em are awesome. . .
    i prefer kyokushin tho.. . .
    i bet you'll like the hardening and conditioning training. . .

Style
    Muay Thai, FMA/JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To OP, there have been many excellent points raised by other posters but I think it's important to realize that sparing without (the potential for) head contact is not realistic sparring and will not be helpful for self defense. I'm not trying to be macho: there are specific strategies for defending against or evading head attacks which you will not learn if you don't practice them when sparring. Indeed, sparring with only body contact will lead to many bad habits (eg keeping your hands too low).

personally, I'm biased for MT. I've done several striking arts over the years but I think MT provides the best foundation.

However, i must admit that the two hours / week offered by your local MT gym really isn't sufficient. Assuming that the class time is divided between technical training and conditioning, it will be a long time before you would become competent. Kyokushin is probably a better choice in your situation.

Style
    Kickboxing/kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kinda pains me to say it but i agree somewhat with nerdmrt, though i think it would be more than sufficient in the streets fighting a skilled opponent might leave openings. It tends to cling more to block/absorb than evade. . .
    Im starting to train mt too, to widen my vision so to speak. . . .

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi

My main interest in martial arts is self defence/protection and I wanted to add something to my training with more sparring and a place near me offers both MT of Kyokushinkai karate - both of which spar. I saw part of a karate sparring session today, lots of good hard body contact but I notice they don't punch to the head. Not that I want to get punched in the head but that's what most people try and do.

Both classes run twice a week and the karate class has an extra sparring session on Sundays. So as a guy about to hit the big 40 I was wondering if anyone had any views on which would be the better class to take.

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for the replies. I have no interest in competition - I am pushing 40. I am not interested in belts either. I just wanted to get some more resistant training with some decent contact. You can do decent contact in the SD stuff but ultimately there is usually some form of role play in most drills whereas I believe sparring develops attributes you can't get from that.

The classes are the same price at this gym and included in the monthly fee. Each runs twice a week but the karate offers an extra sparring only class on Sunday morning. I had a quick look at that and it looked like hard training but sensible as in no-one was taking liberties/cheap shots. They didn't have any Muay Thai running while I was there.

The other thing is MT is 2hrs a week but karate is 3hrs plus there's the extra hour of sparring on Sundays.
    Style: : SD, JJ, Kettlebells
    With the information that you provide I would recommand Muay Thai:

You are 39 (I myself am 36), so I know that the recuperation of our bodies isn't what it used to be when we were 20 in combination with the fact that "fighting" comes after work and (family) life, so there's not so much time to train.

Kyokushin has more of a focus on taking the (bareknuckle) bodyshot while Muay Thai is about turning out of a punch or going with the punch to redirect the incoming force.
    While Muay Thai will still toughen you up, in the long run it will less roughen your body up than Kyokushin.

This is important because you are already doing SD classes, JJ classes and Kettlebell training, so downtime because of injuries (here comes the recuperation part in) will affect all does training sessions.

Also you live in the UK where even London, Manchester and Liverpool are relative safe cities, in combination with your age and the type of life that accompanies it, well to be honest I don't see you go hardcore clubbing more than twice a year ;-).
    So I'm guessing that you won't be subjected to random violent attacks on a daily base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last