Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    Kicks and punches have the same range...
    I do not recall ever seeing or hearing this phrase before.

Could you elaborate?

Posted On:
    3/06/2013 8:57am

Style: beiplychaiplyLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My homepage

Hello. And Bye.

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 9:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    Kicks and punches have the same range...
    I don't recall ever seeing this stated before.

Could you elaborate?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I primarily throw left body kicks, because, y'know, liver.
    I had two main setups for them: the first was to come in with a jab, cross, switchstep, left kick. I'll generally take the switchstep as I'm throwing the cross. I'm not really looking to land the punches, I'm just using them to get the other guy's attention high and conceal the switch.
    The other was just right leg kick, left body kick. Just seemed to get my hips set up nicely for throwing the second kick.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 3:45am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

Could you elaborate?
    That was one of Kidspat's sayings, i think you could find her justification of it with a search.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/17/2013 5:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    That was one of Kidspat's sayings, i think you could find her justification of it with a search.
    If it's from her, the claim might be understandable. As the height of people is, most of the time, primarily determined by the length of their legs--and as she posted that "it sucks to be small"--then her punching and kicking ranges might well be similar.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 8:20am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to disagree with her view.
    Try the following, get into a regular stance (lets say left hand forward) and do a regular Righthand, with good hip involvement, check how far you get. Do the same with a retarded lung punch, that should give you another few inches.
    Now try a regular teep (how the **** do you spell that MT stuff?) and then a round house with good hip drive and check again.
    I would like to see the person that comes up with the same range of motion... and heck with a kick I can slide it a bit to gain even more range, not so much with a punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 10:27am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer to land body kicks with the middle of the shin, and that range is pretty much identical to my punching range.

I can, and do, throw longer kicks as well, but when the target is your opponent's body nothing beats a solid mid-shin kick (except a pull-down knee, but that's a different conversation). It hurts... a lot.

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 11:30am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you kick like that, then you are more in line with the comment of Kid Spatula.

I guess that is more a question of how you kick... for instance you can do Jop-Chagi/Doljo-chagi (trad. and copetition)/PandeDoljo-chagi, which are all TKD/Karate kicks and get that extra reach.
    Or you go more with the MT way and then you give up a bit of range in exchange for less broken toes.
    But even then, if you turn the heel of your base foot towards your opponent (as you should!) then you get a bit extra range you won't have with a punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 8:34pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

Could you elaborate?
    Gladly. In the context of MT round kicks, this is more or less true. Sure, you can lean back a little bit to (barely) stay out of punching range of someone the same exact size, but my statement, made in vast generalities as it may have been, was referring to setting up combos involving round kicks. Since round kicks employ the shin, you're forfeiting a few extra inches of range that another kick might afford. Even within MT, the teep, which is a front kick using the ball/bottom of the foot, has a longer range.

The main point I was making is that you don't really need to change up your range when connecting punches in kicks, unlike the way you do to move in for knees or elbows.

For the record, I'm not Kid Spatula. I'm a dude, and small or no, as long as you're a somewhat proportional human, your MT round kicks will have about the same range as your punches.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast