Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Body Kick

Of all the attacks I have in my arsenal have the most trouble landing this one with either leg.

I tried putting it with combinations but when i throw it im too close

or sometimes I throw it and i just catch their arm/forearm. I just cant see how this kick fits in the big picture of fighting.

Any strategies or tips for landing the body kick cleanly will be greatly appreciated (other than telling me to ask my coach)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 5:59pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually mostly ONLY connect with body and leg kicks when I spar. I like to throw it occasionally (but not too often) right after a successful theep kick sets up my range (e.g. throw a rear theep kick, which switches your stance, and follow up with left thai kick). It also works well (relatively) for me if I throw one after shaking off a clinch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like one of my biggest problem with the kick is range. I just have no awareness whats so ever with body kicks :(

im either just catching the ankle or it turn is to a retarded knee strike

I dont teep too much either, but ill try that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 9:17am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by informer24 View Post
    Of all the attacks I have in my arsenal have the most trouble landing this one with either leg.

I tried putting it with combinations but when i throw it im too close
    In that case, take a look at your punching technique. If you're leaning into your punches, you won't be in a good position to follow up with kicks.

or sometimes I throw it and i just catch their arm/forearm. I just cant see how this kick fits in the big picture of fighting.
    You have to time kicks to land when the arm isn't there, or arc them to get under the elbow and into the ribs. The more you spar, the better you'll get at these.

Any strategies or tips for landing the body kick cleanly will be greatly appreciated (other than telling me to ask my coach)
    Practice on a heavy bag: Jab, right kick; cross, (switch) left kick. With proper technique the punches should flow smoothly into the kicks, and everything should land solidly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 3:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ This. Kicks and punches have the same range, so if you're traveling in too deep with your punches, your kicks will be crowded. Are you throwing really tight hooks or uppercuts, then trying to follow up with kicks? That will crowd them for sure.

As for landing with your ankle, are your punches connecting before you throw them? Is your partner moving away from a flurry before you attempt a kick? You have to re-assess your range every time your opponent moves. This might sound complicated, but after enough pad work, it will become second-nature. Develop these habits now. Trust me, you do NOT want to land with your ankle against someone with good MT defense.

lordbd, totally agree on giving somebody "a kiss goodbye" after clinch.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 7:12pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a similar problem but I'm a Kyokushin practicioner, I seem to only be able to land this combo with the foot and not with the shin

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 1:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ehh, I definitely have better range with my kicks. Its mostly body type but I lean back further with long ranged kicks; kinda like a shoulder twist with punches, it gives you more range.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 5:35pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    ehh, I definitely have better range with my kicks. Its mostly body type but I lean back further with long ranged kicks; kinda like a shoulder twist with punches, it gives you more range.
    Good advice I'll try that

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 2:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bag work. Do more of it. Kicking and punching the heavy bag in combinations will force you to learn the proper range.

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 2:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: U.S Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A trick i normally use to land a body kick is getting into clinch range and circling to the side and back some, and throwing the kick outside of their vision it makes it seem faster and gets the range right for me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast