Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:28pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your opinions please

I was at the gym today sparring and my partner had me in mount, I was conserving energy waiting to attempt a sweep or get a scramble going. After a bit of waiting he asked if I give up, I replied with he can try to finish me I would like to work from the position, afterward he commented that I was being to prideful.

I haven't been taking Jiujitsu long and was wondering if I was committing some kind of gym faux paux by not submitting when chokes are not really causing me enough discomfort to force a submission. thanks for any input, I know it's not a big deal just curious what some of you higher level belted guys think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:32pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like you were being pretty reasonable.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:37pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a competition, I believe the ref would eventually tell the guy on top he has to make a move, as he'd be considered stalling.

In training, I think there should be some give-and-take, and neither training partner should waste the other's time -- and it is a waste of time if both people are just lying there making no attempt to improve their position (or move to an effective submission). Still, though, I'd expect the guy on top to be the one to move. And if you were being too prideful by not tapping (to an ineffective submission), then what of his refusal to let it go and do something useful?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your respective experience levels? Was your partner a much more advanced student going easy on you? If so, he has a point about not waiting until damage is really done to submit. Or, is he also a noob and thinking that just by getting the mount he's "entitled" to a submission?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say he had me mounted for less than two minutes, just thought it was odd that he brought the pride thing up, i don't consider myself prideful and probably have never been accused of being such. Just something I was thinking about on the way home today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was a purple belt and I am a white belt, but it was not as though the whole roll was a long stall so I found his question odd.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As another purple belt who rolls with the noobs pretty frequently, I really don't expect anyone to tap is my chokes are too crappy to force them. (Rather, I regard it as my job to either finish the choke or switch to something else; and if I have four or five years of experience on the other guy, I ought to be able to.) I suppose it depends on how hard you were fighting. Sometimes, spazzy beginners will fight chokes until they're pretty much purple and frothing at the mouth rather than tap, which IMO is a waste of time and facial capillaries -- there's a tendency among some white belts to attempt to compensate for lack of skill by fighting five times as hard and ten times more tenaciously. But I wasn't there; I don't know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:50pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** him. You're newer and told him that you wanted to try to work from that position. That's not pride its learning how to work from a bad position.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    **** him. You're newer and told him that you wanted to try to work from that position. That's not pride its learning how to work from a bad position.
    Which is, of course, what white belts necessarily spend a lot of time doing and should be learning anyway...

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 8:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudenoodle View Post
    I was at the gym today sparring and my partner had me in mount, I was conserving energy waiting to attempt a sweep or get a scramble going. After a bit of waiting he asked if I give up, I replied with he can try to finish me I would like to work from the position, afterward he commented that I was being to prideful.

I haven't been taking Jiujitsu long and was wondering if I was committing some kind of gym faux paux by not submitting when chokes are not really causing me enough discomfort to force a submission. thanks for any input, I know it's not a big deal just curious what some of you higher level belted guys think.
    Sounds like it could be a simple miscommunication. I'd just pull him aside and see what's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    As the semantic pedant, I will disagree with your assessment. Unless there is more context provided.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast