Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/22/2012 10:59pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Um, some of you may not realize it but the point of the thread wasn't to criticize dojos who don't allow noobs to be choked out within five minutes of starting their first session of the jits. It was meant to be 1) an attempt to fool most of you into thinking this was a thread about how Judo is awesome and BJJ is not, only to find out you wasted one minute of your life you will never get back and 2) a discussion about the relative value of the product and why a dojo would say no to $800 up front payment for six months training, which someone actually did indeed answer.
    You missed the boat, this thread is now about the awesome creativeness of battlefields and his reigning awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 6:01pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't follow a two-car funeral. Seriously, I could not find my ass with a mirror and a six-cell flashlight.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 7:04pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I couldn't follow a two-car funeral. Seriously, I could not find my ass with a mirror and a six-cell flashlight.
    Don't worry, being dazzled by my brilliance is disorienting. People are always saying I've "lost them" mid conversation, acting confused and banging their heads against walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never saw a bjj school here in Brazil where you would stay all this time without rolling. Off course I just went to some of them, there are plenty. I see no technical reason why you would not be allowed to spar. Without the live rolling you are taking away the one main characteristic that made judo and bjj in what they are today. One day without rolling is normal. The first few times the person is rolling, he should start on his knees and roll only with more experienced people. At least the first time. I explain the rules to them and say they should try to get to the position they just learned that day, that's usually the armbar in their first class, but it could be something else off course.

It also depends a lot on the person. Recently there was a person coming for the first time in training. He had no other experience in any martial art. Just by seeing him warming up and practicing the drills I knew that he could start his first roll with me from standing position. The second roll with another white belt, no problem. But that's an exception. Now, more than one day without any kind of rolling, that's really strange and pointless in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 1:53pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually kind of wish we did that at my gym. Maybe it'd cut down on meat heads and noobs spazzing...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234