Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Buddhist_Budoka

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No rolling for months in BJJ?

Hey all,

I have a question regarding training standards in BJJ and whether or not my school is adhering to them properly. I don't think the school is a McDojo or really a scam overall, but I do want to know if this is a bad policy on their part. Hopefully this is the proper forum for my question.

Basically, my MMA gym (heavily emphasizes BJJ) wont let students roll/spar until they have achieved one stripe on their white belt. From what I understand, this can take anywhere from 1.5 to 4 months to achieve. I know of the concept of aliveness and that it is one of the great strengths of BJJ, that one can train against a resisting opponent from day one. But having to wait a few months seems to be putting this effective training method and learning opportunity off. Is this the norm in BJJ gyms? I have heard from others that many gyms start students off rolling from day one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 7:35pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained bjj for like 3 classes and had to roll every time even though I was intimidated and didn't know much. The gym was pretty reputable so I thought rolling every time was common practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 7:56pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhist_Budoka View Post
    Hey all,

I have a question regarding training standards in BJJ and whether or not my school is adhering to them properly. I don't think the school is a McDojo or really a scam overall, but I do want to know if this is a bad policy on their part. Hopefully this is the proper forum for my question.

Basically, my MMA gym (heavily emphasizes BJJ) wont let students roll/spar until they have achieved one stripe on their white belt. From what I understand, this can take anywhere from 1.5 to 4 months to achieve. I know of the concept of aliveness and that it is one of the great strengths of BJJ, that one can train against a resisting opponent from day one. But having to wait a few months seems to be putting this effective training method and learning opportunity off. Is this the norm in BJJ gyms? I have heard from others that many gyms start students off rolling from day one.
    I've only been to two different schools, so my experience is limited.
    First one: I was expected to roll my first class.
    Second one: The new people that I see coming in are expected to roll by their third class, at the latest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:11pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure the standard is to roll from the very beginning but it's not completely ludacris to imagine a particular instructor wanting students to build a few fundamentals before they start rolling.

Out of the ordinary? Yes.
    A sign that something is seriously wrong? Not necessarily.
  5. Buddhist_Budoka

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses lordbd and BJMills. I think you're right; its unconventional and frustrating, but probably not a red flag.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:47pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, people start to roll in some form on day two -- your very first class, the instructor tends to prefer that the complete beginners watch and get a sense of what it's about, but the next class, you're in. However, beginner classes don't always have free rolling; sometimes it is, sometimes it's positional sparring (e.g. guard, or some specific position we've been working in class).

We also tend not to put the brand new guys together in sparring, for reasons I expect are obvious, but rather pair them up with the senior guys in the class.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to 3 schools.

First school was way way old school. You rolled on your first class. No intro for newbs, just get in and do it.

At the second place they did just positional sparring for the the basic class and only about 10 min worth at that. The way that they lined everybody up by rank practically ensured you got newb on newb action.

At the third place, the basics class was mostly positional rolling at about 20 min per class with no newb on newb action allowed. If you went to an all levels class there would be open rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:43pm

Style: GJJ,MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhist_Budoka View Post
    Hey all,

I'm glad that you asked this question because I just recently started at a BBJ gym in Philly and he said I'm not allowed to roll for like a few months....I was like oh okay...because on the website it said open mat after class isn't just about more experienced belts beating up on lower ranking belts but actually a great time for inexperienced students to learn one on one from higher ranking belts.....all I've done is watched....me and a few other white belts...got tired of just watching and usually leave after the class is done. I'm surprised this is not the norm...I also was told that at my gym ranking takes an extremely long time....so..I hope I dont have to wait to get a stripe...that could be a while. wtf..

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 10:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to 3 different BJJ School all of them had newbies roll day one.
    Sometimes they maybe taken to the side during the rolling time 1st to be taught the basic basics other times they are just thrown in with the sharks.
    Normally we tend to go pretty easy on the new guys as they are already overwhelmed and gassed out.
  10. Buddhist_Budoka

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it seems the common experience for people is start rolling pretty quickly into training, either on the first day or within the first week. That makes it pretty disappointing that my school is an exception to this rule. I can only train there for 3 months because I am only home for the summer before I have to go back to school downstate. I will continue BJJ there, but it would be nice to start rolling soon to get some experience before my training really slows down for school and what not.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast