Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 6:12pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maybe a Change in MMA

So I have a year in Kyokushin I'm a blue belt and the last two months I was not able to train (first I got sick and required antibiotics then exams and work) I really like Kyokushin except well the kata and some of the traditional position (zenkutsu dachi and the kiba dachi) but I dont like that my school is too knockdown oriented we dont sparr with punches to the head we do no clinch or throws never.

One of my biggest fears on the street is if some bad **** happens ending on the floor (maybe because I went to the floor a couple of times fighting as a kid) so they say judo is awesome and from I have seen is quite interesting.

Maybe stick a longer with Kyokushin or start judo I dont know tell me your opinion What is judo like and such.
    I really think a lot on self-defense because there is a large crime rise in my country and I dont want to be another number on the stadistics nor another dead body in the news

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 6:23pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like one possible recipe for your problem is Muay Thai. It's like good karate, but with standing grappling and punching faces.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    So I have a year in Kyokushin I'm a blue belt and the last two months I was not able to train (first I got sick and required antibiotics then exams and work) I really like Kyokushin except well the kata and some of the traditional position (zenkutsu dachi and the kiba dachi) but I dont like that my school is too knockdown oriented we dont sparr with punches to the head we do no clinch or throws never.
    Sad to hear. We did kata, which I didn't mind, and did knockdown but we also sparred with glvoes and punches to the face were allowed.

One of my biggest fears on the street is if some bad **** happens ending on the floor (maybe because I went to the floor a couple of times fighting as a kid) so they say judo is awesome and from I have seen is quite interesting.

Maybe stick a longer with Kyokushin or start judo I dont know tell me your opinion What is judo like and such.
    I'm obviously one to advocate the mix of Kyokushin and Judo and it will come in handy but understand that martial arts training is actually a small part of self defense. Its actually the plan B or C in a situation.

I really think a lot on self-defense because there is a large crime rise in my country and I dont want to be another number on the stadistics nor another dead body in the news
    I sure no one does but don't think MA is going to be your sole answer. Yes it good to be able to handle yourself in a physical confrontation but you need to develop other more important skills as well, such as situation awareness and making yourself a hard target (meaning you give the impression that it would be too much risk for someone to deal with you over someone is an easy mark)
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 6:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously you have over 400 post and your asking this site about how it feels about judo?

also cause well why not

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The best way to avoid being a dead body? Be aware of your surroundings, learn to recognize a situation escalating before it hits the point where you're going to be sucked into an altercation, and avoid that situation completely. Sprinting is probably the best sport for "self-defence" in my opinion. The best MA for self-defence? Probably judo. It's definitely worth checking out in your area. And as it's rather cheap, if possible, I'd recommend cross-training it with your Kyokushin.

Of course, you already said you're too busy to even train, so how do you think you're going to become proficient enough in any MA to use it for a self-defence purposes? But anyways, if you had to choose one: Judo.

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I sure no one does but don't think MA is going to be your sole answer. Yes it good to be able to handle yourself in a physical confrontation but you need to develop other more important skills as well, such as situation awareness and making yourself a hard target (meaning you give the impression that it would be too much risk for someone to deal with you over someone is an easy mark)
    I understand that, I have read for some time this page http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

I usually try to know the places where I'm going the bus lines to go and leave. I try to walk in a sort of imposing way (slight arm swing) I look over my shoulder when opening the door and on dark streets. Maybe this is not enough and I'll try to be more alert.

I dont have the money to do 2 martial arts at the same time for the moment do you think starting judo would be the best option?
    If you can give me some more advice on the other parts of self-defense I would most apreciate it

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lordb: Thats other posibility

you can all judge how much I suck from this video

This was in january

I think there is slight improvement after this I trained in the competitors class for a time and did twice a week full-contact sparring where I got knocked several times I was the lower belt there so It was always a downhill battle I could only do it twice a week and nothing more because of how I would end this was around 3 weeks then normal training and I got sick and such
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 7/20/2012 8:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:04pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you blue shorts guy?
    is brown belt guy your cousin from that thread a while ago?

It doesn't seem as if you have any confidence in your punches.
    not that I'm experienced enough to say anything, I have half your experience.
    But you gotta be confident enough to take a punch and especially if your doing kyokushin you gotta get in there and pound the body with hooks and use the leg kick as a combo finisher not the starting move.

If you go back to Kyokushin try to get a lot of practice in throwing all kinds of punches. On the street a bare knuckle punch to the stomach could take someone out if you give it enough power.

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes thats me the blue shorts dude
    That day I had sort of sore the arms so my punches really sucked

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 1:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lordb: Thats other posibility

you can all judge how much I suck from this video

This was in january

I think there is slight improvement after this I trained in the competitors class for a time and did twice a week full-contact sparring where I got knocked several times I was the lower belt there so It was always a downhill battle I could only do it twice a week and nothing more because of how I would end this was around 3 weeks then normal training and I got sick and such
    GreenWulf, you are fucking terrible in that video. How long have you been training?

Perhaps it doesn't matter whether you Kyokushin or Muay Thai. Judo would be a good addition if you can find it. But your concern about avoiding getting into **** should far outweigh your concern about getting out of it. The thing is that no matter what you train in, if somebody gets the drop on you or you are seriously outnumbered, or "outgunned" or whatever, there is a high chance that you are fucked. The stuff you say about the bus routes is solid and wise. Do more of that **** to stay safe. As Gezere said, martial arts is a last resort.

Asia has you covered on the
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast