Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 3:47am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me teach cosplayers about martial arts

So, for my business, I go to a **** ton of anime conventions. They are, by far, the most profitable venue I've found for my clothing line. They are also super-mega-fucking-fun.
    I've decided I want to start doing panels at cons, and specifically, I want to do panels about martial arts to parse about the glamorous pop culture from the shitty, underwhelming reality. This demographic (nerds), seem particularly prone to falling in with the bad crowds (aikido, ninjutsu, etc.) based on their esoteric and exotic nature. I sure as **** did before I had it beaten out of me by reality and dissapointment.
    So yeah, TheMightyMcClaw Presents: Oriental Fighting Arts of the Orient: An Introduction to the Horrible World of Martial Arts. Something like that. It'll probably take the form of an hour-long powerpoint presentation. In that time, I want to strip out as many youthful illusions as possible that a presentee may have. Topics I'm considering including:
    -Things To Stop Being Impressed By: rank inflation, self-promotion, and how any doofus can open be a martial arts instructor
    -Introduction to the concept of the McDojo
    -Style Vs Style/Not All Martial Arts are Created Equal
    -The Four Basic Categories of Martial Arts: Striking, Grappling, Weaponry, and Pointless Bullshit (kata/internal energy work/etc)
    -Street Vs Sport
    -Why Martial Artists Can't Get Along
    -Fake History/Ninjutsu is Not 700 Years Old
    I'm planning on ending it with a Q&A session and an open challenge for a Karate Deathmatch against anyone who's feelings I've hurt
    I also want to throw in a fair number of videos: Kiai Master vs Karate/MMA guy, Judo White Belt chokes out Ninjutsu Black Belt, and so on and so forth. It's basically going to be hyper-condensed YMAS.
    So yeah, suggestions? Anything else I should throw in to educate the nerdy masses?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something about why real martial arts is fun and awesome? Maybe phrase the thing positively as much as possible, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and all that ****.

Also, don't forget:

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kata isn't necessarily pointless bullshit. Judo kata at least.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:50am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A nice health amount of point sparring, Yes I do Shotokan but I don't support point sparring, I have done it and might do it again for the fun of it but in no way shape or forum does it get you ready for close-in fighting. On the kata point I like to think of my kata as a calisthenics, and an exercise in body awareness, ya know where my body bits are in space.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:21am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about something on dojo's that are run purely to make money (GKR Karate springs to mind here or probably some of the TKD you have in the States). E.g. classes full of kids, poor quality instruction, lots of gradings that you pay through the nose for/long expensive contracts and threats of litigation if you try to leave.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:28am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just show them a few techniques that could be useful in larping. Use the four hundred pound guy wandering around in the ninja suit to prove your point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:45am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedtex88 View Post
    Just show them a few techniques that could be useful in larping. Use the four hundred pound guy wandering around in the ninja suit to prove your point.
    How do you know that is not his "cover"

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I'm planning on ending it with a Q&A session and an open challenge for a Karate Deathmatch against anyone who's feelings I've hurt
    I'm good with the Q&A thing; despite the fact that many of these 'socially challenged' individuals are well-read, they need food for thought. A physical representation of the things they have been reading about may help to boost their interest.

If you can exercise your skills as both a martial artist and an entrepreneur, it is a win-win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:34pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McClaw:

I'm in your area, and train at a no frills, inexpensive Kyokushin dojo which spars quite frequently. If you want any footage of an example of good Karate, I'm sure you'd be quite welcome to come and get it. Hit me up.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:48pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog Brothers footage is always a winner
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast