Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 2:04pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Military Uniforms Allowed in San Diego Pride Parade

So the Navy, then the whole DoD decided it was fine to let active duty service members wear their military uniforms in the parade, provided they met the criteria for being "in uniform".

As an Army vet and a fan of equal rights, I love this. Especially since it actually DOES now fall in line with the military's institutional values, which is also super cool.

Who ever thought that the military would be one of the leaders in assuring equal rights to the LGBT community? Not me.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...iforms-parade/
    Last edited by wetware; 7/20/2012 2:23pm at .

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the man or woman working or fighting along side of me does their job and doesn't let me get my ass kicked, he or she is o.k. with me. I don't ask, I don't care, nothing to tell; to each their own.

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:07pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My historical understanding is that the us military has a pretty good record of following orders and the spirit of orders given by the civilian command regardless of their opinions before policy is implemented. Am I misinformed on this? Very few counter examples come to mind.

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:11pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    My historical understanding is that the us military has a pretty good record of following orders and the spirit of orders given by the civilian command regardless of their opinions before policy is implemented. Am I misinformed on this? Very few counter examples come to mind.
    Nope. The military will pretty much do whatever stupid **** they are told to. This, however, is a good thing.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    The military will pretty much do whatever stupid **** they are told to.
    This is very true; I always did what I was told to do as long as it was lawful. We can always wine and complain about it later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 12:15am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on the uniform. The Marine Corps would **** kittens if someone wore cammies to a parade...gay or no. Moving beyond the 'gays in the military' theme, its been my experience that people in the military really do not like that standout and flaunt their status....basically braggarts and such. I can not see any other motivation for wearing a military uniform to a gay parade other than to make a spectacle and be controversial. I kind of shirk at that a little, whether its gay people at a parade trying to make a statement, or people demanding their military discount at McDonalds, or Soldiers who wear their cammies to Bdubs. But whatever...in the military if its allowed, its ok. And I've never had to deal with being a homosexual in the military so I really don't know what those people actually feel and where they are coming from. I just get a little put out by those using military status for personal gain or self-inflation But as I stated before, I don't have the same experiences as them and don't really know what their motivations/intent are. I hope its genuine pride rather than just wanting to make waves.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 5:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I just get a little put out by those using military status for personal gain or self-inflation
    I halfway agree with you on this point; politicians do this all the time. If you served in the military and applied for any type of government job, did you use your veterans preference points for civil service, etc? Isn't that the same thing?
    But as I stated before, I don't have the same experiences as them and don't really know what their motivations/intent are. I hope its genuine pride rather than just wanting to make waves.
    IMHO, most of these folks are doing it out of genuine pride. When I was active duty, I knew a couple of lesbian soldiers, but no males. There may have been a few males in the mix, but the females were more obvious about it; they had neither shame, nor pride in their sexuality when they wore the uniform.

The gay & lesbian soldiers swear the same oath as straight soldiers, and as long as it doesn't effect their performance, who cares? IMHO, gay and lesbian soldiers do not deserve any more or less rights than anyone else, just equality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 8:12am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's cool. The DADT thing came out right when I got to Afghanistan...so it was kind of interesting to see if there was a difference when I left for the field and when I came back a few months later. Actually not much difference, given all the stress they made over getting us DADT "training." There was some issue with a couple lesbians that got in trouble, and the one gay guy I somewhat worked with in the MEF compound didn't indicate any positive or negative effects...though he did take a male date to a formal military event a few months after we got back.

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 10:03pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on the uniform. The Marine Corps would **** kittens if someone wore cammies to a parade...gay or no.
    <shrug> the number of times I saw dress uniforms being worn by contestants in game shows, makes me think pride parades are a step up.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 10:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    the number of times I saw dress uniforms being worn by contestants in game shows, makes me think pride parades are a step up.
    All except for Jeopardy, I love that show. Those others with the costumes and challenges, I'm with you there.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast