Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. top knot

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdogg View Post
    Kendo is a hell of a lot of fun. Be warned that Kendo schools typically don't let you spar for a while (at the school I went to, it was a year; that's part of why I left). I think that the reason they do this is because they want you to have reasonably good form when you start hitting people for real, but I think they also see the act of putting on the bogu and sparring as a privilege that has to be earned.
    I'm quite alright with that. I'd rather be more secure in the knowledge that I am better prepared to not hurt myself or others than if they were like "Here, go have fun." I don't have any delusions of being a wizard noobie world champion. I'd just like to learn the skill, and some competition in the (however far-flung) future would be nice.
    The one question I have is - Must one wait until one is '1-dan' before competing? 'tis a rumor passed down to me by an old man on a mountain, far, far away... ( one of my friends said it was the way it was, but doesn't profess any experience in that arena - consider it a 'friend of a friend' story, if you will.)

MG,
    -S.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 5:19am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If weigh-loss and flexibility are your goals, I think you chose an okay combo. I left aikido because I wasn't getting good cardio or losing weight, but I do remember that the days that were really intense were the sword days. Really tones up those arms and burns some calories. And you'll do lots of stretching at the beginning of class.

Strap a sword to your back when you're out and about. It's not concealed, so no permit necessary depending on where you live, and no one will mess with you.

And with regard to making Aikido more practical...

Last edited by lordbd; 7/20/2012 5:20am at . Reason: added content

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 5:28am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by top knot View Post
    I'm quite alright with that. I'd rather be more secure in the knowledge that I am better prepared to not hurt myself or others than if they were like "Here, go have fun." I don't have any delusions of being a wizard noobie world champion. I'd just like to learn the skill, and some competition in the (however far-flung) future would be nice.
    The one question I have is - Must one wait until one is '1-dan' before competing? 'tis a rumor passed down to me by an old man on a mountain, far, far away... ( one of my friends said it was the way it was, but doesn't profess any experience in that arena - consider it a 'friend of a friend' story, if you will.)

MG,
    -S.
    I don't know if you really have to wait till 1st dan to compete, I wasn't really in the sport for long enough to know about that sort of thing. However, I really doubt that there is a first dan requirement at all schools, although it might be the case at some schools. I have read stories from people on this site who compete in naginata-do (which is quite a bit less common than kendo, but also looks really cool) who weren't that experienced in the art, so that also leads me to believe that there isn't a consistent 1st-dan requirement in kendo.

I think there are a few people on this forum who have been doing kendo for a long time; try typing kendo into the search function and look through a few threads. That should give you a pretty good idea of who to talk to; afterwards you'll just need to find a way to get their attention.
  4. top knot

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 5:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Strap a sword to your back when you're out and about. It's not concealed, so no permit necessary depending on where you live, and no one will mess with you.to making Aikido more practical...
    I live in Texas, where swords are illegal to carry anywhere, bokken and shinai are considered 'clubs', also illegal to carry. For absolute need, I have a beretta px4 that I normally carry on or about my person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 5:34am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Texas, where swords are illegal to carry anywhere, bokken and shinai are considered 'clubs', also illegal to carry. For absolute need, I have a beretta px4 that I normally carry on or about my person.
    Texas is a great state, but I did not realize that you can carry a gun with no problem, but you aren't allowed to carry swords under any circumstances. Thats just prejudice against anachronistic self protection and homestead defense.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Texas is a great state, but I did not realize that you can carry a gun with no problem, but you aren't allowed to carry swords under any circumstances. Thats just protecting stupid people from themselves.
    Seriously, if you have the option to shoot a fucker, why would you even consider muddling around in melee range? Besides that it would be fun, I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  7. top knot

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the law is rather specific about when deadly force is authorized, etc. Melee range may be all that you have, for instance (if someone is chasing me down... I can't fuckin run to the FRIDGE without gasping...) there may not be enough threat to use deadly force, yet enough reason may exist to beat the crap outta the guy (or, conversely, me get the crap beaten out of me...)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:38am

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Postscript: Out of curiosity, (I searched, but I'm not sure if I found anything definitive on the subject) Is there anyway to take modern Aikido and, uh, 'harden' it up? Or is that more or less a pipe-dream at this point in my 'martial education'?

I am no expert when it comes to Aikido but I do have an internet connection so Youtube-Do FTW:

Tomiki Aikido: Player 1 tries to "stab" Player 2. Player 2 tries to defend. Afterwards P1 hands P2 the "Knife" and it's his turn.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_u-cCSPoA
    ^^First comment made me LOL

And Toshu Randori:

EDIT:Greetings from a fellow San Antonian, homie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:49am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having given it the 'eye' test in the past, I pretty much equate that Real Aikido program with basically Yoshinkan with some more newaza added in. I've seen video clips of that younger looking guy from the Real Aikido testing in Yoshinkan.

Aikido can be a really great platform for fitness...if your school isn't afraid of people falling down (ie getting up and down constantly for two hours is a decent workout). Too many aikido schools are lax in that students are often socializing on the mat, or they don't teach ukemi well and people don't like to fall, or attacks are weak which spawns weak techniques, which spawn limited physical movement (poor exercise). Hope it all works out. I am also jealous as I've always wanted to get into kendo and compete...but the closest place is almost three hours away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:56am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If weigh-loss and flexibility are your goals, I think you chose an okay combo. I left aikido because I wasn't getting good cardio or losing weight, but I do remember that the days that were really intense were the sword days. Really tones up those arms and burns some calories. And you'll do lots of stretching at the beginning of class.

Strap a sword to your back when you're out and about. It's not concealed, so no permit necessary depending on where you live, and no one will mess with you.

And with regard to making Aikido more practical...

Bernie Lau is actually three steps up my Aiki lineage. If stories are true, he's used the techniques in realistic situations more than a few times, but you know how stories are....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast