Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. top knot

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, uh, yeah, heh heh.

I got wrangled into taking Aikido/Iaido with my wife and sister-in-law (let the poking me with sharp sticks begin), and I actually had a lot of fun. The up-side is that I'll be taking Kendo as well, starting next week. (sweetness!) My BJJ aspirations, far from OVER, have simply been laid aside for the time being.
    Yeah, I know the feelings toward Aikido in general on the board, and I'm cool with the ribbing I'm sure I'll get, but she gave me those damn puppy dog eyes!:SadTroll:
    Anyway.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 11:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by top knot View Post
    I got wrangled into taking Aikido/Iaido with my wife and sister-in-law (let the poking me with sharp sticks begin), and I actually had a lot of fun. The up-side is that I'll be taking Kendo as well, starting next week. (sweetness!) My BJJ aspirations, far from OVER, have simply been laid aside for the time being.
    Yeah, I know the feelings toward Aikido in general on the board, and I'm cool with the ribbing I'm sure I'll get, but she gave me those damn puppy dog eyes!:SadTroll:
    Anyway.
    ***** whooped no can defend.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  3. top knot

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Completely and utterly true *sigh*
    But I'm alright with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 12:12am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate it's cool that you're enjoying yourself with the wife.

I don't think anybody is going to give you any hard time as long as you enjoy what to do and don't claim effectiveness and ****.

Good luck.
  5. top knot

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 12:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't dream of it ^_^
    My original goal in getting into something was to reclaim some flexibility and hopefully lose some weight. The 'effectiveness' bit came into play as I read the forum and got some (admittedly very sound) advice from some forum members. Alas, the wifey put her foot down (with a resounding Kiai, I'm sure) and now I'm taking what is (in my opinion as of this writing and having had a single class) a somewhat more vigorous form of Tai Chi. Which is cool, for what I'll use it for. My real fun will come from the Kendo classes she is 'graciously allowing' me to take in addition, because they won't cost any extra.
    Now that I've just exposed to what extent how pussywhipped I am, I admit that I did, indeed, turn over control of our finances to my wife when we got married, because I am an impulse shopper (HA HA! new Jeep FTW! 29k worth of Jeep I never drive FTL :(...) and she told me that the BJJ was simply too expensive (and gave me those damn puppy dog eyes! THE EYES, man, THE EYES!!!), so I bowed my head like the good hubby I try to be, and tipped her a wink, and we'll get along famously for it, ha ha.

Just call me my wife's bitch... *sigh* ;)

Postscript: Out of curiosity, (I searched, but I'm not sure if I found anything definitive on the subject) Is there anyway to take modern Aikido and, uh, 'harden' it up? Or is that more or less a pipe-dream at this point in my 'martial education'?
    Last edited by top knot; 7/20/2012 12:56am at . Reason: Added a goofy postscript.

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 1:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway.
    That's cool!

Like you're not going to have fun? Iado and Kendo? Brother, you're going to be in sword city! How cool is that?

So what if Aikido doesn't turn you into a one man army with fists full of death boners? You'll still pick up some ancilary stuff that will translate to more punishing arts. Joint flexibility and break falls come in handy. It's definitely good excersise. Plus it's super formal and steeped in ritualistic tradition which should be a good accompanyment for the equally formal sword arts you're doing.

Also, bitchin pants. Totally bitchin pants.

Enjoy yourself mang!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 2:05am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Postscript: Out of curiosity, (I searched, but I'm not sure if I found anything definitive on the subject) Is there anyway to take modern Aikido and, uh, 'harden' it up? Or is that more or less a pipe-dream at this point in my 'martial education'?
    The problem ain't softness, the problem is lack of experimentation and putting yourself in near realistic fighting situations (sparring).

You can harden it up all you want with loud Kiai and tough joint locks but as long as you don't spar...

I only did Aikido for 3 years though before I quit, maybe once you become advanced you can find out something I couldn't.

Also maybe if you're interested you could look into finding some Judo, it's dirt cheap usually, effective and is close to BJJ.

Kendo and Iaido is sweet I couldn't find any here, you're lucky mate.

But mate as long as you're enjoying yourself and ain't really concerned with the fighting aspect who cares just go out there and have a good time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 2:26am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't dream of it ^_^

There's some Croatian who developed 'Real aikido' you can youtube it. I never trained it, so I have no experience with this style, but it still looks pretty compliant and dead to me. The only difference seems to be the attacks are more 'realistic' than shomenuchi. I don't believe it is widespread as yet.
    Also aikido can be cool for disarming someone who is poking you with a stick or something and feels oversecure.
  9. top knot

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 3:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That's cool!

Like you're not going to have fun? Iado and Kendo? Brother, you're going to be in sword city! How cool is that?(respectfully snipped)
    Also, bitchin pants. Totally bitchin pants.
    Enjoy yourself mang!
    'ppreciate it, bruddah. I fully intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb
    There's some Croatian who developed 'Real aikido' you can youtube it
    Erm, that sounds like a good time ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mister
    I only did Aikido for 3 years though before I quit, maybe once you become advanced you can find out something I couldn't.
    I doubt it, but it's nice to dream, eh?
    Also maybe if you're interested you could look into finding some Judo, it's dirt cheap usually, effective and is close to BJJ.
    Judo is much less expensive than the BJJ, for certain. I think I'll stick to the full-course-meal that I've set before me, rather than dreaming of naughty desserts...

Thanks, fellas, I appreciate the input.
    -S.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 3:51am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't dream of it ^_^
    My original goal in getting into something was to reclaim some flexibility and hopefully lose some weight. The 'effectiveness' bit came into play as I read the forum and got some (admittedly very sound) advice from some forum members. Alas, the wifey put her foot down (with a resounding Kiai, I'm sure) and now I'm taking what is (in my opinion as of this writing and having had a single class) a somewhat more vigorous form of Tai Chi. Which is cool, for what I'll use it for. My real fun will come from the Kendo classes she is 'graciously allowing' me to take in addition, because they won't cost any extra.
    Now that I've just exposed to what extent how pussywhipped I am, I admit that I did, indeed, turn over control of our finances to my wife when we got married, because I am an impulse shopper (HA HA! new Jeep FTW! 29k worth of Jeep I never drive FTL :(...) and she told me that the BJJ was simply too expensive (and gave me those damn puppy dog eyes! THE EYES, man, THE EYES!!!), so I bowed my head like the good hubby I try to be, and tipped her a wink, and we'll get along famously for it, ha ha.

Just call me my wife's bitch... *sigh* ;)

What I keep hearing on this board is that when you get a style of Aikido that actually practices with aliveness, it just winds up looking like bad Judo. That said, I'm not speaking from personal experience.

Kendo is a hell of a lot of fun. Be warned that Kendo schools typically don't let you spar for a while (at the school I went to, it was a year; that's part of why I left). I think that the reason they do this is because they want you to have reasonably good form when you start hitting people for real, but I think they also see the act of putting on the bogu and sparring as a privilege that has to be earned.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast