Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 1:07pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Japanese Jiu-Jitsu Program @ Team Bushido MMA (Ottawa, Canada)

(Before anyone tells me it should be writte "jujutsu" I'm simply writing it the way they write it on their website to make it easier to search for.)

Does anyone know anything about this program?

The instructor is "world reknown renshi Brian Aylward" according to their website.

http://youtu.be/wSHqj7tWoV4

Does anyone know what style of Jiu-Jitsu he teaches or what the training is like? Ottawa seems to be very hit and miss for JJJ. I've had very positive experiences ( www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102667&page=1 ) like I've had very negative experiences ( www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114931 ). So I'm wondering if anyone knows how alive and realistic the JJJ program at Team Bushido is.

Links:

http://teambushido.com/welcome-back-2012-here-we-go/

http://teambushido.com/home/programs/

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 5:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He appears in a series of youtube videos with Brian Cheek, founder of "Jukoshin ryu". Cheek was apparently one of the highest graded members of the BJC (Judo) 30 years ago before he left to form his own style.

I doubt he has any links with any koryu, but if he's a student of Cheek, what he teaches would probably be real enough.
    Last edited by dlloyd; 7/19/2012 6:01pm at .

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    7/21/2012 2:47pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hit or miss has a lot more to do with the instructor than the "style" of jiu jitsu. Most of what is taught around here is "meat and potatoes" basic punch, kick and throw. It has been many years since I've trained with Brian as an instructor, but he was enthusiastic, helpful and knowledgeable back then, can't see much having changed as he has had more time to get knowledgeable. Try it out, see if you like what he teaches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 1:44am

Style: jiujitsu, karate, shorinj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked it out not long ago, cdnronin as usual is right. They are basically teaching can-ryu and other generic jjj style techniques but when I was watching i noticed a twist. They were doing what seemed to be henka on what I was taught for years at therien and other dojos. The henka was biased towards a more mma style (realistic for sport and defense) in the way that some things were taught. This in my opinion is a good thing. Team bushido (nabil khatib and co) seems like a good choice. Go for it, get a feel for it and let us know what you think. Train hard but wisely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 6:48am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brian is a super good dude; great attitude, relaxed and patient teacher, and all around fun guy. I really like his approach to the martial arts as he likes strong, aggressive training in a positive setting. I can't comment on his technique as I am too noob in newaza to have an opinion, but I was always impressed by him.

I will actually be seeing him in a week and a half for a seminar and am looking forward to getting some mat time with him (its been awhile). He is very good friends with one of my aikido teachers and usually comes down to Ontario for our summer seminar to teach newaza. Last time I trained with him, we went over some sweeps and transition to strike combos. I wasn't training in JJJ at the time, so its hard to recall what we were doing, but I do remember getting the feeling he was throwing in techniques from a variety of backgrounds, and I know for a fact he spends a lot of time learning from as many people as he can. I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to train with him in a regular class at his school...just different types of MA seminars.

I did not know he had videos and stuff online, thanks for sharing that...it will be cool to check out.
    Last edited by daishi; 8/02/2012 6:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 9:09am

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Brian years ago before his school was basically run out by 100% martial arts.

He is an honest guy that actually knows his limits. He would bring in different people to teach newaza, kick boxing, etc, etc for his students and have them drop by on a regular basis to enforce the teachings.

As was said above, he enjoys a very aggressive game and encouraged his people to enter the local comps ( at least while I was there )

Team Bushido is no nonsense, I can only imagine them bringing him in for positive reasons. IIRC- it was Team Bushido members that came in regular to teach his then fledging MMA rec club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 7:07am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    I trained with Brian years ago before his school was basically run out by 100% martial arts.

He is an honest guy that actually knows his limits. He would bring in different people to teach newaza, kick boxing, etc, etc for his students and have them drop by on a regular basis to enforce the teachings.

As was said above, he enjoys a very aggressive game and encouraged his people to enter the local comps ( at least while I was there )

Team Bushido is no nonsense, I can only imagine them bringing him in for positive reasons. IIRC- it was Team Bushido members that came in regular to teach his then fledging MMA rec club.
    Which should be noted...Brian actually has his own martial arts school called Giri Martial Arts (at least he did when I saw him last two years ago). I am not sure when he got involved with Team Bushido, but like bamboo said, it was probably as a technical advisor to bring his experiences to their fighters.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that both Team Bushido and Ronin Mixed MMA are sister schools, it depends on the location you are situated. They are both premium schools.

I hear the main draw of Team Bushido is Nabil Khatib, while the main draw for Ronin Mixed MMA is Jamie.

I hope this helped, as I said earlier, East-end vs West-end.
    Last edited by El3ctr1ck; 8/27/2012 11:48pm at .