Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Injury Advice

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1
    Style
    Boxing, MMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Injury Advice

    Whats up. This is a GREAT FORUM. I just got two sports hernias repaired one on each side and of course I'm taking at least 6 weeks off from exercise and contact sports. Here's the question my surgeon is telling me the body blows from years of sparring might have caught up to me. That I should throw in the towel on full contact sparring after this and that if I do continue to spar I will likely have further complications with my core. My loved ones of course are singing with glee but they don't understand the trade off. Life isn't the same when you're not sparring.

    I'm 33, not old but a bit older than most of the hernia repair threads where the guy bounces back like a complete maniac. Also none of those threads had a Dr. telling them it could be from taking too many shots (which I would like people's opinion on if that's even a thing that gives hernias). Lets say after two months I feel fine. It's going to be hard to not put the gloves back on. Throughout my life I've always had loved ones complaining about me fighting and all that **** so I've become desensitized to words of caution. However this is the first time a Dr. has said something along the lines of "you ought to quit."

    The problem is, these people have never done it before and through the years I've had like a million loved ones try to say "it's not worth it." Complete bullshit. Fighting is awesome, its the best exercise and the best endorphins, sure I probably wouldnt ache in a hell of a lot of the places I ache if I hadn't done it; but I would never trade those aches for the experience in my life. However, these hernias were the real deal. They slowed me down real bad at work, made me gruff to my loved ones, and just gave me a miserable demeanor at random times for years. They cost me money and quality of life for 3 years since I just assumed the throbbing constant pain was me getting older or something and never bothered to get it checked. Fixing them was not that horrible but also not just complete bullshit and very expensive.

    What do the 1,000s of years combined experience of this forum have to say? I'd appreciate the opinions of those a little older though being that when I was in my 20's I generally ignored all my injuries and just fought through them while they healed themselves lmao. Just want some advice from people who know the thrill of fighting and can realistically give me a good idea how bad the trade off with injuries/pain gets as you get older. These other people, they just don't understand and I've had a lot of fulfillment with the sport for the past 15 years.

    Oh, one last thing: WOW, I feel way better. If anybody reading this has a hernia GET IT FUCKING FIXED you'll be so much happier.

  2. #2
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,456
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd check with a sports medicine specialist. A surgeon is quite likely to tell you stop doing something that might **** up their handiwork without thinking anything of it.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11
    Style
    Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey pos26,
    whoever tells you "you ought to quit" has crap in their head, they have already quit, so not to feel less worthy they tell others to quit.

    There's this story of a soldier who repeatedly parachuted, his knees got severely injured, his whole body was like an old van and totally useless, he was now in a wheel chair. All doctors told him he was not going to walk ever again. He put on weight, overweight, his body was a mess. Now he can run (probably faster than you and me), he can do some pretty tough yoga postures, handstands, whatnot. See if you can google that, the story is quite motivating.

    So no, don't quit, keep talking to specialists. But BE SMART, your body is not for ever, it wears and tears, and much more if you don't use it properly, but if you train smarter you can make it last more. You are too young, and you have a lot to go, and learn, and improve. You can get in the best shape of your life. How in shape is this doctor? How's his life? Don't take advice from anyone just because they have a piece of paper that says "Doctor".

  4. #4
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,119
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dan.peterson View Post
    Hey pos26,
    whoever tells you "you ought to quit" has crap in their head, they have already quit, so not to feel less worthy they tell others to quit.

    There's this story of a soldier who repeatedly parachuted, his knees got severely injured, his whole body was like an old van and totally useless, he was now in a wheel chair. All doctors told him he was not going to walk ever again. He put on weight, overweight, his body was a mess. Now he can run (probably faster than you and me), he can do some pretty tough yoga postures, handstands, whatnot. See if you can google that, the story is quite motivating.

    So no, don't quit, keep talking to specialists. But BE SMART, your body is not for ever, it wears and tears, and much more if you don't use it properly, but if you train smarter you can make it last more. You are too young, and you have a lot to go, and learn, and improve. You can get in the best shape of your life. How in shape is this doctor? How's his life? Don't take advice from anyone just because they have a piece of paper that says "Doctor".


    Do you have a learning disability?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11
    Style
    Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Do you have a learning disability?
    Probably so. There's stuff for me that's hard to learn, like stuff I don't like, for example, Dancing.
    Why do you ask?

  6. #6
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,119
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to know the sort I'm dealing with.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11
    Style
    Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a learning disability yourself?

  8. #8
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    12,286
    Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I'd check with a sports medicine specialist. A surgeon is quite likely to tell you stop doing something that might **** up their handiwork without thinking anything of it.
    I am with ermghoti on this one 100%. Sports Medicine docs are usually the best route for people who wish to continue training or participate in "sporty" type stuffes.


    Quote Originally Posted by dan.peterson View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    He literally means " are you having a bad day/drunk/high/mentally deficient? Cause what you just said makes me think that"
    Do you have a learning disability yourself?
    He might have some slight brain damage or lasting concussion side effects but mainly he is just an asshole.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 1/14/2017 1:55pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #9
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,119
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's mean to poke fun at retards.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11
    Style
    Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am with ermghoti on this one 100%. Sports Medicine docs are usually the best route for people who with to continue training or participate in "sporty" type stuffes.



    He literally means " are you having a bad day/drunk/high/mentally deficient? Cause what you just said makes me think that"

    He might have some slight brain damage or lasting concussion side effects but mainly he is just an asshole.
    LOL Alright... yeah I mean, I was speaking my mind about the topic. Thanks for clearing that up BackFistMonkey. I understand "what I'm dealing with now", same as what he is dealing with, a human being. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in