Posted On:
    11/27/2012 3:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Really? Is it really a strange comment?
    No, most times practitioners think you are insulting their art.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/27/2012 3:40pm at .

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiga View Post
    Pfff what a strange comment. As if that is the only value of Silat or Kuntao. Not even strange, but perhaps even arrogant statement.

Some guys say all movement of silat come from the knife, later adapted to the hands, which is in most silat styles, NOT true. The knife is an extension of the hand, not the other way around.

In my (limited) experience, the beauty of these arts is that they repeat themselves. If the knife is signifcantly different from the empty hand or the staff, someone along the way made up some bullshit and slapped it on a style that they didn't fully understand. The blade is intrinsic to the art. I'm not really interested in the chicken or egg argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 3:02am

Style: Pencak Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Is it really a strange comment? I mean, these are predominantly knife and blade arts no?

I didn't say that they don't have any open hand applications...but it seems weird to me that somebody who isn't interested in carrying a knife would want to train an art where at least 50% of the time you are training with a knife.
    I know plenty of silat where the amount of time using the knife is much less. I'm afraid a lot of silat practitioners train it in a jkd/kali environment so the amount of silat exposed to is already minimal. And it also colors the view on what silat is supposed to look like.

If you start looking more into proper minangkabau silat, the West javanese silat and for instance the hokkien kuntao then you might get a broader perspective on these styles.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah...I really don't care that much. I shouldn't have to find some obscure style to show me what Silat keally looks like.

I've trained a little Kuntao Silat with Uncle and Keith in Boulder...and I feel like i've got a decent idea of what their art is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah...I really don't care that much. I shouldn't have to find some obscure style to show me what Silat keally looks like.
    If you trained with uncle Bill then you should know that his mix of kuntao and silat has partly it's roots in west-javanese Cimande silat which is definitely not practiced by just wielding a weapon (although they do also train with the golok).

Maybe you should do a little more research before you make assumptions about styles you only know a little about.

It would be silly for me to say that all wingchun practitioners just do chainpunching in triangle stances without taking to account that there are many variations.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look...I'm not trying to argue with you...I'm trying to tell you that from a simple and logical perspective, if you are looking for empty hand self defense training...Silat or Kuntao seem like a less than the obvious or best suited choice. That's all.

I'm not trying to minimize the effectiveness of these arts...though from a simple self defense scenario sometimes how they are taught are destined to land you in manslaughter charges for dealing with a minor altercation with a sequence of 6 fatal cuts to arteries. LOL. I kid. I kid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 4:34am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look...I'm not trying to argue with you...I'm trying to tell you that from a simple and logical perspective, if you are looking for empty hand self defense training...Silat or Kuntao seem like a less than the obvious or best suited choice. That's all.

I'm not trying to minimize the effectiveness of these arts...though from a simple self defense scenario sometimes how they are taught are destined to land you in manslaughter charges for dealing with a minor altercation with a sequence of 6 fatal cuts to arteries. LOL. I kid. I kid.
    I appreciate you keeping your cool. Perhaps you are right as far as the agressiveness of some of the techniques used, which might be overkill. I live in Holland and we are not allowed to carry knives with us, as is the case in most countries of Europe. USA is a bit 'special' in that area, especially some states. On the other hand we train 85% empty hand and I see it as perfecty suitable to defend yourself. We get to meet muay thai guys, jiu jitsu, mma etc.. and I don't feel our system is lacking or a less suited choice against these types of MA. Just different that's all. We don't train for the ring. Is it for everyone? No. Is it effective? hell yeah.

There are silat styles resembling wing chun, praying mantis kungfu, karate, hell even styles specific for groundfighting and nothing obscure about them.

Concluding I don't see any reason to train silat without constantly carrying a knife.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 7:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this vid w/o a doubt proves Silat's effectiveness

"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345