Thanks Tiga that is very helpful.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 10:10am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just find a school & take a class instead of interwebing it.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 4:49pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The basics work fine

Sapu lawar and sapu delem are.....exactly the same as ko ouchi gari and D'ashi barai, sans gi. Works full speed

The putar kepala only requires head control and an underhook.You can do it from controlling a clinch or stuffing a shot.

The first takedown I learned in silat was an arm weave that to this day is still the most common way for me to finish a single if the other guy hips in to stuff me.(the arm weave with your leg wrapped around one leg like a sitting half-guard)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 2:12am

Style: Aiki, I-Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently was at a Silat school in Miami, Florida and on my first visit the teacher kicked me in the face at full speed. (At the least,I couldnt even see his foot!) As well as many other attacking drills and series to prove just how fast Silat really can be to the human eye. Not that Silat people prefer to kick to the face, but it was to answer a question I asked. In fact, I am looking for a couple of guys who would like to join me in making the trek down to Miami every Saturday and then hopefully a few times a week. This teacher is known as Guru Santi and he teaches the way I like to be trained. Laughing and clowning all the while that he teaches so you dont feel like you are being trained by Martin Cove from the Karate Kid. lol. His mantra must be " If I am going to teach you every which way to break a guy into pieces or kill him,we may as well laugh and have a good time. Really cool guy. He studied and is certified under "THE" Cliff Stewart. Has also studied Silat in Indonesia and I was impressed that he also took JKD, Wing Chun and grappling arts for years before putting in over 10 years in Silat. If you need more than this guy, you should just buy a Bazooka and an AK-47. LOL. People, I'm 54 years old, it took me 25 years to find a guy who I know can teach me what I need to know, to do serious damage, yet not make me worried about broken bones and torn ligaments and injuries. And he will answer your questions until YOU are happy with the answer. For me, that's all I can ask for. Is he the best there is out there? I can answer it definitively by failing at martial arts for 25 years. The answer is: WHO CARES! I wasted soooo many years going from teacher to teacher thinking there was a mystical old man somewhere on top of the Wu-Dong mountain in China that was going to find me and give me "the secrets." Now that I wasted all that time studying the exotic arts, now I just want a deadly ,fun and practical art for the street. Besides, haven't you guys noticed as a rule that guys who are considered as "the best" in their style, often don't produce good students. My theory is because they were naturals and don't understand what "normal/average guys go thru. Maybe that's why Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali never taught a single guy how to be like they were. So.....I want someone to carpool with me like twice a week to start, and if we show good initiative, I have no doubt Santi will let us come pretty much as often as we feel we need. I made a 120 mile trip just to meet him last week. You mean distance is stopping you? So, move to Florida! When you want something bad enough,you do it. I want this to be the last stop for me. My last school. My last style. I am giving you guys who want to learn a seriously practical art like Silat the benefit of my 25 yrs of wandering around America searching.

I want guys that we can be laid back, develop a good friendship and train together. That sadly leaves out 40% of the people on this board. LMAO! But even Phrost has said, many of you guys are putting out too much crap and have no respect and he even said it has to stop. Me, I'm about people. You put me with friendly people, training has to be "fun." You put me with guys who have to be able to knock me on my ass, my training with you is "done." lol So if you live anywhere in Florida, especially South Florida get in touch. Leave your number. I am willing to make a 125 mile round trip every day if necessary. Who here that wants to learn real street applicable Silat is willing to do the same? I hate training alone. So getting a couple of you to train with, will make it more fun. After all, at 54.................

Anyway, I'd love some company ,and a car pool buddy or two, and if any of you Silat guys have any advice for me, let me know. Im new at Silat.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just looking to spar against other students what's the point in sparring against an MA with 28 years with my total of maybe 5 months in my life. Of course he will kick my ass.
    Small point: You want to train with people who will kick your ass. If you have someone with tons of experience prepared to spar with you, take it. Its not about winning its about learning. If their real good and want to help you get good you're on to a winner. Good luck.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 1:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pakua42 View Post
    I recently was at a Silat school in Miami, Florida and on my first visit the teacher kicked me in the face at full speed. (At the least,I couldnt even see his foot!) As well as many other attacking drills and series to prove just how fast Silat really can be to the human eye. Not that Silat people prefer to kick to the face, but it was to answer a question I asked. In fact, I am looking for a couple of guys who would like to join me in making the trek down to Miami every Saturday and then hopefully a few times a week. This teacher is known as Guru Santi and he teaches the way I like to be trained. Laughing and clowning all the while that he teaches so you dont feel like you are being trained by Martin Cove from the Karate Kid. lol. His mantra must be " If I am going to teach you every which way to break a guy into pieces or kill him,we may as well laugh and have a good time. Really cool guy. He studied and is certified under "THE" Cliff Stewart. Has also studied Silat in Indonesia and I was impressed that he also took JKD, Wing Chun and grappling arts for years before putting in over 10 years in Silat.....
    Santiago Dobles. I know him. Cliff's materials are good.

*edit* OP, I'd say more but I'm fairly sure it's all been said.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    Unless crime got much worse I would probably never even carry a knife so that's why I am focused on mano to mano. Its funny though everyone in our school carries a knife.
    If you are not interested in carrying a knife...I really don't understand why you are interested in Silat or Kuntao?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 11:23am

Style: Pencak Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    If you are not interested in carrying a knife...I really don't understand why you are interested in Silat or Kuntao?
    Pfff what a strange comment. As if that is the only value of Silat or Kuntao. Not even strange, but perhaps even arrogant statement.

Some guys say all movement of silat come from the knife, later adapted to the hands, which is in most silat styles, NOT true. The knife is an extension of the hand, not the other way around.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Is it really a strange comment? I mean, these are predominantly knife and blade arts no?

I didn't say that they don't have any open hand applications...but it seems weird to me that somebody who isn't interested in carrying a knife would want to train an art where at least 50% of the time you are training with a knife.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast