222019 Bullies, 4135 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 24 of 24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Steve is offline
    Steve's Avatar

    The gift that keeps on giving

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,205

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:18am

    supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    Redmond is a fantastic writer with better skills than most of us, including me. he has a great analytical mind and he can debate you into the ground. That does not mean he is always right. But I have learned alot from him over the years. I research what he says and were it is coming from. it is mostly his own thoughts and some I agree with and others I think are BS. it is like anything else, dont believe everything you read simply because it is laid out in a believable fashion. My biggest beef with rob is his inability to see the other side in any way hape of form. But again, that is his right to do so. And arguably his is often correct, which can piss you off even more! LOL! Rob seems to be a good guy with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but that is not a insult, most of us have chips on our shoulders, especially us old timers who have seen a dump truck full of BS come down the pike.
    The crux of your beef ignores the fact that it's Rob's site.

    He can choose to post whatever he likes.

    There's nothing you can do. Get over it.
  2. kensei is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    61

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 12:10pm


     Style: shotokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkSpockMcCoy
    I have already stated in the other thread that I stand corrected as regards my accusation that Rob Redmond is a fraud yudansha. This has been cleared up and I have admitted that Rob has singificant karate credentials in shotokan..
    Wait a second lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I was pointing out that Rob may be a Yudansha, and it is great that you withdrew your comments about his rank being questionable, but that does NOT make him an "expert"! Yes, his credentials as a third dan are not in question, but he has stated he is an expert. By my thinking he is an advanced student….and one that does not train anymore at that. He does a workout to get a bit of fitness out of it, but he has stopped studying the art itself. So, him saying he is an expert may not be accurate. He may be a third Dan, but some would say that does not make him an expert. In fact in some places he has said he does not like using that term, and in others he calls himself an expert. Confused? I am! Rob is an expert at the written word. Rob is great and could be called an expert debater; Rob is great at setting up web sites and mixing opinion with fact. But, an Expert at Karate, well that is debatable I guess. I would rather say Rob knows a lot about Karate from a student point of view, like most of us. And no, that is not a shot at Rob....it is a point of contention in the Karate world and the fact that his name is used a lot (good and bad) may make him a famous student, but he does not teach or train, so I personally would not call him an expert.... but again, that is just coming from a guy with the same rank and who still puts a Gi and belt on every other day to go train...

    Quote Originally Posted by KirkSpockMcCoy
    Yes I agree with you and most people here that he heavily edits his site, and those arguments which are effective enough to prove him wrong he is wont to delete from the reply threads. Not exactly what you would expect from a truly open-minded individual.
    Rob is NOT an open minded individual! Having said that he is still rational and while you may not be able to sway him you can expect a candid, if not some what caustic, response about why he feels the way he does. Open minded? No! My suggestion is read his stuff, consider the source and go from their. Does he misguide people and delete responses to his board he does not agree with or that prove him wrong, Yes! But it is his soap box! I know it ticks you off, but my suggestion in that case is to start your own site and openly debate him. He is not a cancer on Karate as some say, he is a disenfranchised student that wanted more from his Karate than he got. it is to bad that he feels the way he does, and sometimes rightly so. But his behavior and tendency to delete those that disagree with him are his choice on his web site. when you own the show you can do what you want, right or wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkSpockMcCoy
    Blackbelts deteriorate in their skills if they don't keep at it. It seems nowadays Rob's not much into karate anymore, based on his own details of his current training regimen. I suspect a lot of his beef comes from this lack of training and perhaps from viewing karate from a lazier perspective..
    perhaps there are other reasons for his beef as well. I could speculate as to why he is ticked off, but it would be just that…Speculation. Rob has so many strengths that it is sad to see it colored with his other issues. First off you are right, he does not train the way a Sandan should, and Yes… the old saying about the kettle and not keeping it heated probably pertains directly to Rob and his health issues and training. Rob has past knowledge, that much like his skills will have dulled over time. But that should not counter his ability to run a nice web site and tell everyone what he thinks. Now the ironic part of all of this is that I have noticed a mellowing of sorts in Rob over the years. His original site was open warfare if you did not agree with him. He would try and rip you apart verbally, now he simply hits the delete key and ignores you.

    I am not saying that you are wrong or off base in any way, shape or form by the way. I am saying that a bit less passion and a bit more consideration for the source would probably help you out. Rob is not fodder for Bullshido, he is a guy with an opinion, a great grasp of the written word and the knowledge to set up a web site.
  3. kensei is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    61

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 12:11pm


     Style: shotokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    The crux of your beef ignores the fact that it's Rob's site.

    He can choose to post whatever he likes.

    There's nothing you can do. Get over it.
    This is correct and the best thing to do if you do not agree with him is not go to his site, that would hurt him more than arguing with him.
  4. KirkSpockMcCoy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    128

    Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:04am


     Style: Shotokan Karate-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kensei, I fully concur with you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.