Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 10:10am

Style: Korean Capoiera

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it...

That site was brilliant. The author that site was a straight-shooting, thoughtful and experienced man. To say it was just some wanker spouting off is quite foolish.

It's a pity that he didn't allow someone to publish his "Mu" articles elsewhere on the web.
    It's a cryin' shame.
    SK

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sad that 24fc is gone. Rob was a great writer and while I didn't like mr redmond I agreed with him on most things. I hope that he writes a book besides the one about his trip to japan. I will buy both if he does. I just hope he can keep his ego aside.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:40am

Style: Shotokan Karate-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Guys,

I would say 24 Fighting Chickens (www.24fightingchickens.com), popular karate website, is a lot of crap. Rob Redmond heavily edits all the replies to his articles, so that it appears as if he always wins the argument. I have posted very good points contrary to his views and he deletes them without warning, in order to avoid his embarrassment.

I also wonder about whether he really knows what he is talking about, because oftentimes his thoughts seem to come from someone who isn't even proficient enough to deserve a blackbelt. One example is his lack of understanding of the use of hikite, he thinks it has no value and only represents pulling the opponent towards you, forgetting that it plays a strong role in the overall rotation of the torso. Also, Rob has NEVER posted anything on his site to demonstrate that he has good karate skills. He has never posted himself in action, whether in photos or video doing some basic technique or kata. All he does is talk karate but there is no demonstration that he can do as well as talk. If ever you meet this guy in person, I bet if you have the chance to see it, he probably can't even do his basics properly. Feel free to kick his diabetic ass.

Also, it is clear to me now that Rob engages in Shotokan bashing just to gain attention for himself, maybe even to earn extra income. Recently he has been heavily promoting his 'Kata' book, a pictureless e-book expensive at 25 dollars! Pretty expensive consdidering he incurs no publishing and papaer costs! This guy is full of ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 2:13pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey gang
    it is a shame that Rob took down his site. I have had a tone of fights with him over his strict anti JKA stance and Yes, he can be caustic and rude if you dont tow the RR line. But the most agravating thing about his site was he often had some truth to his rants. I learned alot from his site, even if some of it was dispite him! He is a great writer with mad skills at the key board, but he does place himself up on a ivory tower at times. I know alot more about him than he knows and he is a good guy, not a fraud, but perhaps a bit self pumped up. To answer KSM, He did do fair Karate and never said that he was a master. he uses different definitions of "expert" and yah, he takes advantage of the undereducated to create a 24FC following. But most of it is not crap. it is just the harsh truth posted on a web site owned by a disenfranchised student that did not like the politics around him. i would say that if you were to read his site and try and figure out his purpose it would be, In my words not Robs, to create a counter balance to the Pro JKA propaganda....but Rob does go over the edge at times. he is only human you know!

Kensei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 2:34pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    Hey gang
    it is a shame that Rob took down his site. I have had a tone of fights with him over his strict anti JKA stance and Yes, he can be caustic and rude if you dont tow the RR line. But the most agravating thing about his site was he often had some truth to his rants. I learned alot from his site, even if some of it was dispite him! He is a great writer with mad skills at the key board, but he does place himself up on a ivory tower at times. I know alot more about him than he knows and he is a good guy, not a fraud, but perhaps a bit self pumped up. To answer KSM, He did do fair Karate and never said that he was a master. he uses different definitions of "expert" and yah, he takes advantage of the undereducated to create a 24FC following. But most of it is not crap. it is just the harsh truth posted on a web site owned by a disenfranchised student that did not like the politics around him. i would say that if you were to read his site and try and figure out his purpose it would be, In my words not Robs, to create a counter balance to the Pro JKA propaganda....but Rob does go over the edge at times. he is only human you know!

Kensei
    Hi Kensei - this is an ancient thread. Rob's re-opened 24FC as a blog with some of the old content intact. KSM just re-opened the thread so he could rant about Rob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read threw the thread and the other one that he was writing on. and I felt it important to comment. Robs new "blog" style forum is alot easier for him to handle I guess. And Yah, he does rule over it as a dictator would, but hell...its his web site. If he wants to put that Funakoshi was a circuls clown he could!

Anyways, I saw alot of things in the other thread. First off KSM got sandbagged a bit and upset, which is fair...he started loosing an argument and went down fighting. By the way, you could still argue that Rob was wrong in things that he said even if he was a third dan! But I think Rob has provided enough to show his rank...does not mean he is right in what he is saying. I have a favorite saying "even monkeys fall from trees". Or even experts can be wrong...even if they are amazing writers. Redmond is the real deal, he is not always right, but he is the real deal!
    Kensei

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:26pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Redmond is a good writer with opinions that make his pieces interesting to read. His essays dramatically increased my book knowledge about Shotokan and its culture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Redmond is a fantastic writer with better skills than most of us, including me. he has a great analytical mind and he can debate you into the ground. That does not mean he is always right. But I have learned alot from him over the years. I research what he says and were it is coming from. it is mostly his own thoughts and some I agree with and others I think are BS. it is like anything else, dont believe everything you read simply because it is laid out in a believable fashion. My biggest beef with rob is his inability to see the other side in any way hape of form. But again, that is his right to do so. And arguably his is often correct, which can piss you off even more! LOL! Rob seems to be a good guy with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but that is not a insult, most of us have chips on our shoulders, especially us old timers who have seen a dump truck full of BS come down the pike.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey gang

Kensei
    I have already stated in the other thread that I stand corrected as regards my accusation that Rob Redmond is a fraud yudansha. This has been cleared up and I have admitted that Rob has singificant karate credentials in shotokan.

Yes I agree with you and most people here that he heavily edits his site, and those arguments which are effective enough to prove him wrong he is wont to delete from the reply threads. Not exactly what you would expect from a truly open-minded individual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read threw the thread and the other one that he was writing on. and I felt it important to comment. Robs new "blog" style forum is alot easier for him to handle I guess. And Yah, he does rule over it as a dictator would, but hell...its his web site. If he wants to put that Funakoshi was a circuls clown he could!

Anyways, I saw alot of things in the other thread. First off KSM got sandbagged a bit and upset, which is fair...he started loosing an argument and went down fighting. By the way, you could still argue that Rob was wrong in things that he said even if he was a third dan! But I think Rob has provided enough to show his rank...does not mean he is right in what he is saying. I have a favorite saying "even monkeys fall from trees". Or even experts can be wrong...even if they are amazing writers. Redmond is the real deal, he is not always right, but he is the real deal!
    Kensei
    Blackbelts deteriorate in their skills if they don't keep at it. It seems nowadays Rob's not much into karate anymore, based on his own details of his current training regimen. I suspect a lot of his beef comes from this lack of training and perhaps from viewing karate from a lazier perspective.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast