Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:06pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My single speed road bike has just been sitting around since I switched to a commuter multispeed bike to get to work/elsewhere. I've been thinking about converting my single speed to a fixed gear for tooling around; that vid may be the tipping point for me.
    Tipping point for me as well, saw that and decided to start looking at a fixie for my winter bike. Don't know how much they are in the states but in the UK you can get a decent one for sub 150 quid ($200ish dollars or the GDP of Greece)

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because then you're not "keepin it real".
    (I advocate at least a ft brake.)
    If you practice you can lock up the rear wheel, but of course that doesn't slow you down that well.
    I've seen some nice injuries from the drivetrain, when people were working on(read: screwing around with) their bikes.
    The wheel acts like a flywheel and the chain/cogs can take a finger nicely, if not cleanly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Because then you're not "keepin it real".
    (I advocate at least a ft brake.)
    If you practice you can lock up the rear wheel, but of course that doesn't slow you down that well.
    I've seen some nice injuries from the drivetrain, when people were working on(read: screwing around with) their bikes.
    The wheel acts like a flywheel and the chain/cogs can take a finger nicely, if not cleanly.
    Hear what your saying, I'm going to use at least one brake and see how I go. I've seen loads of fixie cyclists in London with no brakes - not sure I fancy not being able to brake in an emergency. Locking the back wheel sounds ok as long as you are not going to fast or are likely to hit the back of a taxi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 1:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    WTF was that at 1:15?
    Watched the whole film last night, it was just a bit of a "piss take" as we would say in the UK, they were just messing around.

By the way - the full film is superb, I spent yesterday evening with a big grin on my face - well worth getting.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12