Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 8:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri88 View Post

I should note that we don't train for competition, but Shihan encourages us to participate on our own and some of us do. That in mind, we don't learn as much techniques as you would at a BJJ school, but that's because are techniques are street smart and usually not really designed for sport and ground fighting is a last resort. Ironically, we do A LOT of newaza.
    BJJ is street smart as well. I am constantly surprised that schools still use this line of logic to sell to their students.
  2. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys. I'm not choosing my words correctly and I'm saying foolish things. My Shihan has NEVER said that BJJ isn't street smart at all. That was my personal belief and I shouldn't have included it. I didn't mean that BBJ isn't practical for street defense, but I know that their are some techniques that shouldn't be practices on the street. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In fact, BJJ is taught at one of our other schools. As far as black belts competing, we do have a black belt that competes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, first off, what Ming is trying to say is if your school isn't competing then, according to our criteria, your grappling isn't a 10.
    10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors
    It isn't required at your school therefore, it isn't a 10. Also, a=one BB competing. Competitors means more than one and more likely a full fight team.

There are techniques, in all arts, that are low percentage and fit the criteria of "shouldn't be practiced on the street."
  4. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't intend to mislead anyone, and I misunderstood that particular category. Honestly, my school is a really good school and I just wanted to write an honest, unbiased review. Ming asked me questions and I answered them to the best of my ability, that's all. I'm guilty of saying too much with out sufficient knowledge and I am sorry if I've offended anyone.
  5. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling Rating: 7

Sorry again about this misunderstanding Ming and It Is Fake.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:30am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one is offended, people are asking and clarifying. It looks like one of the better JJJ schools and you spar, wear gloves and have a yearly get together. That's a plus for people that want TMA.
  7. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. We try to train hard and make the best of what we do.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling Rating: 7

Sorry again about this misunderstanding Ming and It Is Fake.
    it's hard to tell if a 7 is an accurate rating, from what you have told us.

you said that a black belt competes, but not in what division(s) or how he does, or what sort of other background he has. as IIF pointed out, a single student can be the exception and not a good representation of what the school is teaching.

you also haven't answered my question about judo competitions. many JJJ schools say that they incorporate judo techniques, but if the students can't use them in judo competition, then most likely they are not learning them properly. i always question places that teach "judo" but don't compete.

i do commend you guys on putting on gloves and sparring under different rule sets, but i have seen first hand what happens without proper pressure testing under open competitions, and it's usually not very good.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  9. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood. I know we have a black belt that has competed in what I believe is the Naga purple belt, brown, and black belt divisions. I also know that he does in fact train in BJJ. For more specifics, I'd have to ask him. As I've stated before, there also have a affiliate BJJ school associated with us where we are welcomed to train with whenever. I never claimed that we were a Judo school, I merely wanted to describe that we do a lot of throws and randori. Neither would I ever claim that any of us can go toe to toe with some who practices pure Judo as throws are their primary area of focus. I changed the to 7 because I feel that the criteria is met.

"6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military)."

We've had members who successful in tournaments. What else can I say?
    My instructor has taught military/police. Check our website.

Certainly it isn't a 10, but 7 is justified.

It was just a my personal review, but your skepticism is appreciated.
    Last edited by Hitokiri88; 7/18/2012 12:39pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're getting a bit defensive over this, which isn't necessary. my goal is to help you present your school in the most accurate light so that a potential student can know what to expect. many find our scoring system confusing, so we often have to ask very direct questions to get to the point.

Understood. I know we have a black belt that has competed in what I believe is the Naga purple belt, brown, and black belt divisions. I also know that he does in fact train in BJJ. For more specifics, I'd have to ask him. As I've stated before, there also have a affiliate BJJ school associated with us where we are welcomed to train with whenever.
    you see, this all leads me to think that the success in BJJ comes from the BJJ training, therefore the JJJ grappling instruction is still in question.

it's fantastic that you have an affiliate BJJ school that you can train at, but they're the ones that are teaching the BJJ, not your school (if that makes sense.)

I never claimed that we were a Judo school, I merely wanted to describe that we do a lot of throws and randori. Neither would I ever claim that any of us can go toe to toe with some who practices pure Judo as throws are their primary area of focus.
    if you don't compete in judo competition, then you don't know how good your throws are. i watched the videos you posted, and it looks like judo throws are being taught, using judo terminology. the only way to know if they are being taught properly is to have the students compete in judo.

I changed the to 7 because I feel that the criteria is met.

"6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military)."

We've had members who successful in tournaments. What else can I say?
    well success at the novice level doesn't say much. it's how people do at the intermediate and advanced levels that really speak to a school's strengths.

My instructor has taught military/police. Check our website.

Certainly it isn't a 10, but 7 is justified.

It was just a my personal review.
    the military/police thing is actually something i wish we would take off of the list, as it's one of the most common appeals to authority we see around here, and it often doesn't mean much at all.

a 7 may very well be justified, but IMO we don't have enough info yet.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast