Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: what's up

Style
    tkd/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what's up

Lets get this over with. I wrestled from junior high through colledge, and no I wasn't anywhere near olympic material. But that wrestling saved my ass in the street many times through the years. Started TKD a year ago to just learn something fresh. I took the time to find a real school that works with the now in mind instead of the yesteryears. We work a lot of joint locks take downs and modern selfdefence with all the cool ass kicks. And before anyone talks **** about tkd and mcdojo, the average time for a blackbelt at my school is 7 years. Look forward to talking **** with you guys.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be welcome!

How's the sparring in your gym?

Style
    tkd/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We, do light contact bare knuckle, and wear full pads for the rough stuff. There are a lot of people from other styles so we do limit sparring at times. For instance, myself coming from a wrestling background and being a heavyweight, I would be limited to counters with my feet only and no throws or grabs. We try to get everyones weakest link to be an strong point.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonk View Post
    We work a lot of joint locks take downs
    Do you mean you use Joint locks in order to take someone down?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. There's lots of knowledge on here.

Cheers!

Style
    ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets get this over with. I wrestled from junior high through colledge, and no I wasn't anywhere near olympic material. But that wrestling saved my ass in the street many times through the years. Started TKD a year ago to just learn something fresh. I took the time to find a real school that works with the now in mind instead of the yesteryears. We work a lot of joint locks take downs and modern selfdefence with all the cool ass kicks. And before anyone talks **** about tkd and mcdojo, the average time for a blackbelt at my school is 7 years. Look forward to talking **** with you guys.

Welcome, which school of TKD might that be? WKF ITF?

Style
    tkd/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a lot of joint manipulation. There is a lot of hapkido techniques wrapped up in our system. We definitly do not practice for sport. Joints are a great way to take someone down. They follow the pain, or they end up broken.

Style
    tkd/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school was an WTF school, but started moving away from them 7 or 8 years ago when they started adding hapkido into the system. We are now with the AIKIA. Our Master was a 6th dgree in Chang Moo Kwan, and a 4th degree in Sim Moo Hapkido. What we do now we call Muldo for water art, or simply mma.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We definitly do not practice for sport. Joints are a great way to take someone down. They follow the pain, or they end up broken.
    I wrestled in school. I have a fair amount of experience with standing joint locks and I can tell you, they are very difficult to pull off against an opponent who is both fully resisting and has a modicum of grappling skill.

They are quite a few counters to standing joint locks as well.

I'm telling you this because I know many people overestimate the efficacy of standing joint locks. They require a high degree of precision to pull off against a skilled opponent in a non-cooperative environment.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last