Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 5:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Appreciate the responses. Gezere, I think you mistaken me for an full fledged armchair commando, though on this thread I certainly do sound that way (hence why I signed my post that way). I am merely an apprentice a-commando.

I brought it up this little 'what if' game so people don't get comfortable with their performance where there are at. I never said anyone actually said not to practice, but I just don't understand why you think the 'what if' game is stupid. I merely kept stressing my point. I brought up my response to CPF's post just to stress that same point.

Two opponents, one with a gun actually pointed right at me. I sure hope I do better than get two marginal hits in that situation. Isn't that a pretty 'close call'? If you were the old man, wouldn't you like to assess what went well and what could have gone wrong, and what you could do to do better next time? Especially for something as fundamental as making adequate hits.

I see Slamdunc's response though. **** goes down, you can't really expect how it is going to go down. That is a reason I'll accept for why playing the 'what if' game is stupid. If you are trying to criticize my general 'I've never been in a firefight but he should have shot more accurately' I'll accept that as an answer too, its just that you never really brought up why the 'what if' game is stupid aside from 'who gives a ****,' which someone who has never been in a gunfight like me, wouldn't understand.

As far as my own shooting ability goes, I'm talking pistols. I am just getting into rifles. I place smack in the middle of local IDPA shoots, depending on the event I'll be high marksman to middle sharpshooter. I am obviously very very far from the jaw-dropping performance of truly good shooters. Among everyone I know that owns guns that do not actively compete or used to compete, I do better (those who I'd see as being the 'average gun owner.' I do know there are non competing guys out there are on different levels better than me. I don't really consider that 'good' by any extent (that would be like coming out with my measly amateur record and going "ha look how good I am" mainly by the virtue of most people with two fists never been in a serious fight before) but just to distinguish myself from someone who proclaims themselves expert of some sort based on the size of their gun safe and the years of ownership. That being said, I'm fully aware I'm no expert on this matter either.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    You'd probably be surprised how common that is. Unlike H2H fighting where minor mistakes might not cost you much in shooting it could me a world of difference.
    I was most surprised when he casually jabbed the gun at the ajar door and loosed of a shot or two into the street.

That could have gone badly wrong.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Appreciate the responses. Gezere, I think you mistaken me for an full fledged armchair commando, though on this thread I certainly do sound that way (hence why I signed my post that way). I am merely an apprentice a-commando.
    For all the **** I'm giving you I do know you are smarter than that and I know you mean well. I'm just smacking you with a little reality.
    I brought it up this little 'what if' game so people don't get comfortable with their performance where there are at. I never said anyone actually said not to practice, but I just don't understand why you think the 'what if' game is stupid. I merely kept stressing my point. I brought up my response to CPF's post just to stress that same point.

Two opponents, one with a gun actually pointed right at me. I sure hope I do better than get two marginal hits in that situation. Isn't that a pretty 'close call'? If you were the old man, wouldn't you like to assess what went well and what could have gone wrong, and what you could do to do better next time? Especially for something as fundamental as making adequate hits.

I see Slamdunc's response though. **** goes down, you can't really expect how it is going to go down. That is a reason I'll accept for why playing the 'what if' game is stupid. If you are trying to criticize my general 'I've never been in a firefight but he should have shot more accurately' I'll accept that as an answer too, its just that you never really brought up why the 'what if' game is stupid aside from 'who gives a ****,' which someone who has never been in a gunfight like me, wouldn't understand.
    The main reason for the "who gives a ****" is because its a 71 year old man. One that showed more balls than most people in such a situation and he handled it well.

As far as my own shooting ability goes, I'm talking pistols. I am just getting into rifles. I place smack in the middle of local IDPA shoots, depending on the event I'll be high marksman to middle sharpshooter. I am obviously very very far from the jaw-dropping performance of truly good shooters. Among everyone I know that owns guns that do not actively compete or used to compete, I do better (those who I'd see as being the 'average gun owner.' I do know there are non competing guys out there are on different levels better than me. I don't really consider that 'good' by any extent (that would be like coming out with my measly amateur record and going "ha look how good I am" mainly by the virtue of most people with two fists never been in a serious fight before) but just to distinguish myself from someone who proclaims themselves expert of some sort based on the size of their gun safe and the years of ownership. That being said, I'm fully aware I'm no expert on this matter either.
    That's all well and good but the main point I've been hammering home is that IDPA and being in a shootout are two very different things. Trying to use that as a gauge on how you will do is not good because, as I said before, its involves more than just shooting. Highly trained guys have been killed by far less skilled people.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk
    I was most surprised when he casually jabbed the gun at the ajar door and loosed of a shot or two into the street.

That could have gone badly wrong.
    I agree it could have gone bad. However, I don't think he just "casually jabbed the gun" I think he was scared and was confronting the issue. We all know bullets just don't disappear into the ether when you miss but when you are the man in the arena you really don't focus on that you are focusing on the threat at hand. Not saying you should disregard where your rounds go but it really is on of the last things on your mind when you have an immediate threat.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 7:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha L-AZA. Appreciate the responses.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms