Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. appliednorva

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:22am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Applied Wing Chun

I'm a student of Applied Wing Chun under SiFu Duncan Leung, and he has always told people that if your not sure about your teacher ask to punch them. Don't let them tell you the pattern, but keep it random. If they can cover within the real of reality then they are most likely legit. As for sparing, it is not fighting. Sparing helps with your timing and distance, to learn how to fight on the street you unfortunately have to experience it. Also, to guys beating each other up doesn't make wither one much better. Normally you should start with a senior guy giving you pressure with only a few movements, we at first use just hands and as you confidence grows so does the spectrum of what the aggressor will use. And Wing Chun works fine against Muay Thai, but you have to train timing and distance correctly. Sorry for possible being slightly off topic.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:30am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by appliednorva View Post
    And Wing Chun works fine against Muay Thai, but you have to train timing and distance correctly. Sorry for possible being slightly off topic.
    Welcome to Bullshido, a website where we demand proof of claims.

Please provide video proof or a documented fight/match where -ing -un worked fine against Muay Thai.
    Shut the hell up and train.
  3. appliednorva

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It wont let me post the link, but if you go on youtube and look up applied wing chun china a video should be the 3rd-5th down and the caption will be in Swiss German. This is a vidwo of the sparring the Thai is using Muay Thai and the Swiss is useing wing chun.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a student of Applied Wing Chun under SiFu Duncan Leung, and he has always told people that if your not sure about your teacher ask to punch them. Don't let them tell you the pattern, but keep it random. If they can cover within the real of reality then they are most likely legit.
    It isn't reality because you asked them and they are expecting the punch.

As for sparing, it is not fighting.
    Yes, most of us know this already.

Sparing helps with your timing and distance, to learn how to fight on the street you unfortunately have to experience it.
    No, you really don't.

Also, to guys beating each other up doesn't make wither one much better. Normally you should start with a senior guy giving you pressure with only a few movements, we at first use just hands and as you confidence grows so does the spectrum of what the aggressor will use.
    *shrugs*

And Wing Chun works fine against Muay Thai
    Proof please, because I have yet to see this happen with anyone that ONLY train Wing Chun.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh, is this it?

I hope not. That is little more than a drilling session, and has no resemblance to a real match.
    Last edited by jnp; 7/15/2012 11:55am at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:50am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Uhh, is this it?

I hope not. That is little more than a drilling session, and has no bearing on comparing it to a real match.
    It also doesn't show what he thinks it shows.*

*which is basically what you said, but I was going to post the same thing and you beat me to it so I had to post something.:tongue:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a student of Applied Wing Chun under SiFu Duncan Leung, and he has always told people that if your not sure about your teacher ask to punch them. Don't let them tell you the pattern, but keep it random. If they can cover within the real of reality then they are most likely legit. As for sparing, it is not fighting. Sparing helps with your timing and distance, to learn how to fight on the street you unfortunately have to experience it. Also, to guys beating each other up doesn't make wither one much better. Normally you should start with a senior guy giving you pressure with only a few movements, we at first use just hands and as you confidence grows so does the spectrum of what the aggressor will use. And Wing Chun works fine against Muay Thai, but you have to train timing and distance correctly. Sorry for possible being slightly off topic.
    Hi there.

Welcome to Bullshido.

I am also a student under the Duncan Leung lineage of wing chun. Who exactly to you train under (unless you are in China and train under Duncan himself)?

As you might be able tell from lurking around this site, Wing Chun has a pretty bad rep around here...and for good reasons. However, I have found that the "proof-based" critiques of people on this site match up well with the "take-it-as-a grain-of-salt-until-you-try-it-yourself" approach that I was taught to train wing chun with.

I know Sigung Leung trained a group of guys in China, and then took them over to Thailand to some sort of Thai vs. wing chun fighting tournament...where, if I understand correctly, they did well, and ended up winning half and losing half of the fights. Maybe you can find some documentation on that event to help move the discussion along?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 11:15am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is the video he was talking about:

But even so Lionknight's comment holds, it doesn't what he thinks it shows.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 12:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Hi there.

Welcome to Bullshido.

I am also a student under the Duncan Leung lineage of wing chun. Who exactly to you train under (unless you are in China and train under Duncan himself)?

As you might be able tell from lurking around this site, Wing Chun has a pretty bad rep around here...and for good reasons. However, I have found that the "proof-based" critiques of people on this site match up well with the "take-it-as-a grain-of-salt-until-you-try-it-yourself" approach that I was taught to train wing chun with.

I know Sigung Leung trained a group of guys in China, and then took them over to Thailand to some sort of Thai vs. wing chun fighting tournament...where, if I understand correctly, they did well, and ended up winning half and losing half of the fights. Maybe you can find some documentation on that event to help move the discussion along?
    Yes, and take this with a grain of salt as well. Yes, that's the same as saying I heard.
    Oh and before you flip out, it has rep because of EXACTLY how he posted. If half the chunners didn't post like arrogant douchebags, their art wouldn't be nearly as ridiculed.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I know. I'm asking him because I have been unable to verify that little nugget from anyone outside of the lineage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast