Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 5:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thoughts on switching from Judo to BJJ due to neck injury.

In May 2011 I took an Osoto-Gari and landed on my neck, the impact shaved off the bottom of one of my vertebrae. I'm healed and back to training, but the neck just isn't the same and I'm worried about mobility and health as I age. I'm 37 now. I was looking for some thoughts on whether or not BJJ would be easier on my neck.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lot of people feel that BJJ is less hard on an aging body than judo. they're probably right. judo is really hard on me for sure.

i would wonder if getting stacked is going to give you problems, though, as that seems to happen a lot in BJJ.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 6:10pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can avoid getting stacked by just releasing the sub, or allowing the person to take what they need, ie, breaking your guard to let them guard pass. A mate at training wrote me a message one night after I stacked him in a roll, his message was "I should've let go of that triangle". Apparently his neck got cricked. If you are in danger, don't let pride **** you up, let it go.

I'm not saying let everyone walk over you, but if you have an injury that requires special attention, try not to get in positions where it will matter and if you do, just concede. You're in training, not the Mundials. Loosely related, my recent calf injury had me concerned so when it became an issue on rolling, rather than risk injuring it further, I just let them do what they were attempting with little resistance and worked on not getting in that position in the first place, as well as working from the shitty position I ended up in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 7:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ definately easier on the body. I'm 47 and still train. Wouldn't think about doing Judo right now.