Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. top knot

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taking my first step into a larger world

Well, an aborted go at Judo aside, I'm about to enter the world of the grappling arts, specifially, I intend to observe a class tomorrow night (monday night) and, if all looks well, sign up to start wednesday night. Wish me luck, any advice for a first-time BJJ student, who is a greatbigtubalard accomplished at 40-oz curls and remote-fu more than anything else, vis-a-vis the initial training? What should I expect (in a general sense, not this specific school, unless a Bully has been there)?
    here's the place I'll be attending:
    www.marrajj.com/
    Thanks, in advance.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 4:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get to worked up if a small woman or 15 year old boy rolls you up.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're there to train, not to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 6:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, so... what to expect? 10-15 minutes of warm-ups, which, based on your description of your physical condition, will gas you completely out. Maybe they'll roll to warm up, same result as above. Don't worry, they've seen it before.

At my gym, n00bz get segregated, and shown how to shrimp, bridge, butt-scoot, and swim/Superman/whatever-on-your-belly. This will also gas you out. If they don't have a specific n00bz plan, you'll drill a couple of techniques specific to a position, which will soon gas you out.

At the end of class, you will probably roll a couple of rounds, being encouraged to use the day's techniques, or you may be directed to drill the techniques from the starting position under full resistance, e.g. sweep from guard, switch after 60 seconds or upon acheiving side control, repeat with a different partner after five minutes. Something like that. This will gas you out.
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  5. top knot

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    This will gas you out.
    man, I'm actually sort of glad to hear this. Strange as it may sound, I had this overriding and completely irrational fear that it was going to be this strange, surreal AA type event where I was gonna have to get up and introduce myself to everyone and tell them about myself.
    I have a phobia about public speech, I guess.
    I can't say that I can handle what they're going to throw at me, but it will be more welcome than the nightmarish scenario I cooked up. Thanks, y'all.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah my first BJJ/Wrestling (it's a blend) class I was gassed out just from the warmup. Jumping Jacks, Shrimps and Sprawls. They didn't separate me, I was the only n00b, so I just tried to learn the techniques of the day! We did double leg takedowns and armbar drills from the mount - Got my 2nd wind but I was already dead.

And you know what, OP? It's totally ok to be gassed out, it's ok not to be amazing as a noob. You're not supposed to be. :)

It is humbling when a 15 year old boy is able to take you down and you're twice his size/weight. Kid's also a high school wrestler but wow it was pretty cool. He was helping me with my technique.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    Yeah my first BJJ/Wrestling (it's a blend) class I was gassed out just from the warmup. Jumping Jacks, Shrimps and Sprawls.
    Jumping jacks? What a sucky worthless exercise. One word of advice, when getting stressed and gassed, ease back, don't be like me and injure yourself trying too hard to keep up. Gradually build up strength and be careful - experienced people won't hurt you, other n00bs though...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Oh, so... what to expect? 10-15 minutes of warm-ups, which, based on your description of your physical condition, will gas you completely out. Maybe they'll roll to warm up, same result as above. Don't worry, they've seen it before.

At my gym, n00bz get segregated, and shown how to shrimp, bridge, butt-scoot, and swim/Superman/whatever-on-your-belly. This will also gas you out. If they don't have a specific n00bz plan, you'll drill a couple of techniques specific to a position, which will soon gas you out.

At the end of class, you will probably roll a couple of rounds, being encouraged to use the day's techniques, or you may be directed to drill the techniques from the starting position under full resistance, e.g. sweep from guard, switch after 60 seconds or upon acheiving side control, repeat with a different partner after five minutes. Something like that. This will gas you out.
    This has been my experience, so far. I've been taking classes for about a month. Luckily I do exercise, and am not a total couch potato, but I get gassed all the time in bjj class.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Jumping jacks? What a sucky worthless exercise. One word of advice, when getting stressed and gassed, ease back, don't be like me and injure yourself trying too hard to keep up. Gradually build up strength and be careful - experienced people won't hurt you, other n00bs though...
    I like them because they loosen me up, I guess that's why we do them. The constant shrimps though, they gassed me. I already injured myself - sprained my ankle during the double legs because I was trying too hard to keep up with everyone else.

Instructor usually has us jump rope for other classes.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 9:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping jacks? What a sucky worthless exercise.
    I'm going to have to side with numerals chick. It's jogging in place with range-of motion. Useless when I was 20 though.

One word of advice, when getting stressed and gassed, ease back, don't be like me and injure yourself trying too hard to keep up. Gradually build up strength and be careful - experienced people won't hurt you, other n00bs though...
    Good call, I meant to add that. I mangled myself several times by refusing to quit when I was done. It's tough to tell when stopping means you're not giving it 100%, and when you're about to lose two weeks of training, but if I was starting over, I'd err on the pansy side.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast