Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Etiquette

So I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I need to train more! My current school only holds striking classes one day a week and there is always a chance I will work late and miss that day. I don't want to switch schools, the instruction is really good imo.

There is another MMA school in my town that offers striking classes. My question to y'all is, would I be cheating on my school/instructor/training partners if picked up an extra class at this school? Would that be considered bad form?

My instructor, iirc, said something along the lines of collabing with other MMA gyms to support the popularity here when I first started training with him. I'm pretty sure both schools have fight teams (I know mine does), so that's one of the reasons I feel like this might not be the best idea.

3nput plEEz!
    Last edited by itwasntme; 7/15/2012 11:03am at .
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    So I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I need to train more! My current school only holds striking classes one day a week and there is always a chance I will work late and miss that day. I don't want to switch schools, the instruction is really good imo.

There is another MMA school in my town that offers striking classes. My question to y'all is, would I be cheating on my school/instructor/training partners if picked up an extra class at this school? Would that be considered bad form?

My instructor, iirc, said something along the lines of collabing with other MMA gyms to support the popularity here when I first started training him. I'm pretty sure both schools have fight teams (I know mine does), so that's one of the reasons I feel like this might not be the best idea.

3nput plEEz!
    (1) You intend to discuss this with your instructor when?

You are the customer. He's providing a service. Both places having fight teams would be the only reason to worry about your instructor's reaction.

(2) You intend to discuss this with your instructor when?

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 10:46am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you on your gym's fight team?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    (1) You intend to discuss this with your instructor when?

You are the customer. He's providing a service. Both places having fight teams would be the only reason to worry about your instructor's reaction.

(2) You intend to discuss this with your instructor when?
    I nonchalantly brought it up one time how I didn't understand why he didn't add another striking day on say, Friday when there are no classes. He said people weren't likely to show on Friday since we're mostly young and party goers. Idk if that is from his personal experience or fears.

I also realise this is not what you meant by "when do you intend to discuss this with my instructor?" since I was beating around the bush, but it was my attempt. I don't want to be too forward since I pay, a very reasonable amount, per class.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Are you on your gym's fight team?
    No, which is the only reason I feel like it might not be such a bad idea.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:19am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also realise this is not what you meant by "when do you intend to discuss this with my instructor?" since I was beating around the bush, but it was my attempt. I don't want to be too forward since I pay, a very reasonable amount, per class.
    That's not an attempt, it's a cop-out. If you were to bounce after justifying that as your "attempt" and your coach found out about you training at this other place, he'd probably be pissed and within his rights to be.

Don't be such a pansy about it. I don't know how it is everywhere, but where I lived, certain coaches didn't get along so great with other coaches, and would definitely feel slighted if you were to just up and leave without talking to them first. The fight scene is a pretty small world, and everyone generally knows everyone in a particular area. Which means the same thing happens anytime you have a group of people who run in the same circle for long enough- drama inevitably develops, and someone gets to not liking someone else. And don't forget, this isn't just social "he said she said" high school bullshit you may create. This is their business we're talking about, and people tend to get pretty involved where money is concerned.

Making an offhand comment about how maybe there should be more striking classes is not talking to them about it. Sack up and tell your coach the same thing you told us- you like the place, but you don't feel like you're getting what you need in terms of striking instruction, and you were thinking of checking this other place out, but you wanted to ask him if it was cool first because you respect him and don't want to step on any toes. Maybe he won't like it and tell you to jump off a cliff, or maybe he'll take it seriously and see about adding some more striking if he knows his students really want it. Or maybe he'll say "Oh, yeah, I know the dude who runs XYZ Gym, he's great, we go way back." Point is, you don't know. And if he doesn't like it, at least you legitimately did your half and you can walk away with a clean conscience, instead of having to ask a board full of complete strangers if you did the right thing or not.

At the end of the day, it's your dollar. If you're not getting what you want, take your money elsewhere. It's your choice as the customer. Just don't be a dick about it, you don't generally get your bridges back once you burn them.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    That's not an attempt, it's a cop-out. If you were to bounce after justifying that as your "attempt" and your coach found out about you training at this other place, he'd probably be pissed and within his rights to be.
    I have no plans on jumping ship. Like I said, the instruction is good and it's closer to home. I just wanted an extra day of training per week.

Don't be such a pansy about it. I don't know how it is everywhere, but where I lived, certain coaches didn't get along so great with other coaches, and would definitely feel slighted if you were to just up and leave without talking to them first. The fight scene is a pretty small world, and everyone generally knows everyone in a particular area. Which means the same thing happens anytime you have a group of people who run in the same circle for long enough- drama inevitably develops, and someone gets to not liking someone else. And don't forget, this isn't just social "he said she said" high school bullshit you may create. This is their business we're talking about, and people tend to get pretty involved where money is concerned.

Making an offhand comment about how maybe there should be more striking classes is not talking to them about it. Sack up and tell your coach the same thing you told us- you like the place, but you don't feel like you're getting what you need in terms of striking instruction, and you were thinking of checking this other place out, but you wanted to ask him if it was cool first because you respect him and don't want to step on any toes. Maybe he won't like it and tell you to jump off a cliff, or maybe he'll take it seriously and see about adding some more striking if he knows his students really want it. Or maybe he'll say "Oh, yeah, I know the dude who runs XYZ Gym, he's great, we go way back." Point is, you don't know. And if he doesn't like it, at least you legitimately did your half and you can walk away with a clean conscience, instead of having to ask a board full of complete strangers if you did the right thing or not.

At the end of the day, it's your dollar. If you're not getting what you want, take your money elsewhere. It's your choice as the customer. Just don't be a dick about it, you don't generally get your bridges back once you burn them.
    I understand that what I said was a bitch out, I just didn't know if I was within my rights to ask about it since I'm in the minority as far as students who attend regularly and are dishing out more money than me.

As far as your comment about asking a message board full of strangers, I think that's a little weak seeing how this site is supposed to be about No BS MMA and sharing No BS Info. I just wanted to see what actions more experienced martial artists would suggest and if they thought I paid this man enough money to be making requests. Don't take this as me trying to undermine your advice, I definitely see where you're coming from. I could PM somebody how much I pay a month and then maybe they would understand why I didn't just come out with my request.
    Start a training log!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 1:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    As far as your comment about asking a message board full of strangers, I think that's a little weak seeing how this site is supposed to be about No BS MMA and sharing No BS Info.
    Learn how to fucking read or STFU. He is telling you it is dumb to tell an instructor to adjust their classes, for YOU, while telling perfect STRANGERS the truth and asking if you did the right thing. The only thing weak is your reading skills and self esteem issues.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 1:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Learn how to fucking read or STFU. He is telling you it is dumb to tell an instructor to adjust their classes, for YOU, while telling perfect STRANGERS the truth and asking if you did the right thing. The only thing weak is your reading skills and self esteem issues.
    [QUOTE=Neo Sigma;2705059]Making an offhand comment about how maybe there should be more striking classes is not talking to them about it. Sack up and tell your coach the same thing you told us- you like the place, but you don't feel like you're getting what you need in terms of striking instruction, and you were thinking of checking this other place out, but you wanted to ask him if it was cool first because you respect him and don't want to step on any toes. Maybe he won't like it and tell you to jump off a cliff, or maybe he'll take it seriously and see about adding some more striking if he knows his students really want it. Or maybe he'll say "Oh, yeah, I know the dude who runs XYZ Gym, he's great, we go way back." Point is, you don't know. And if he doesn't like it, at least you legitimately did your half and you can walk away with a clean conscience, instead of having to ask a board full of complete strangers if you did the right thing or not./QUOTE]

You're so full of win, bro!
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how you've conveniently replaced "etiquette" with "rights".

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 1:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme poor quoting when in rage mode View Post

You're so full of win, bro!
    Quoting his text makes you more of a failure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast