Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 8:32am

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Khan v. Garcia [spoilers]

I like Amir Khans style. Fast hands. Slick boxing. Big punch volume. But last night was not his night. Garcia looked tough but outclassed in my opinion until round 3 when he unloaded a hook that put Khan down hard.

That's when you realize that Garcia is a predator just waiting in the high grass for the best time to strike.

I wonder where Khans career goes after this.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of the opinion that Garcia caught him with a lucky shot. As opposed to Garcia being the predator looking for an opening.

Congratulations to Garcia. It was not an easy task.

Also, does Khan have too much pride to survive? He just went all out in Round 4, instead of trying to recuperate. Although, it was a very hard knockdown to recover from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see the lucky shot interpretation as well, but I plan on keeping an eye on Garcia in future fights to see if he repeats the pattern. This was the first Garcia fight I've seen. He made it look like a boxer v. puncher sort of bout. Damn Khan looked slick before he took that shot though, I like how he darts in, hits a 3-4 punch combo, and dances back out.

I'm wondering if Khan has too many more chances before he either retires or at least gets downgraded from champion/contender to just "good fighter" or gatekeeper for up-and-comers. He has talent, but he's also shown that he's not as invulnerable as people hype him up to be.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boy is only 25. He has all the talent, all the right people and all the chances. Unless something terrible happens or he loses motivation, has lack of character etc, he will be a Great by 30.

"boxer vs puncher bout" yeah, I was actually surprised that Khan wasn't more of a boxer. I mean, he definitively wasn't as conservative of a boxer as he could've been.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddie Roach said the same thing. He thought Khan was too pissed at Garcia to stick to a safer gameplan. Made for a good fight but a startling loss.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 3:51pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only saw partial highlights today.

Like Tranquil Suit, I think Garcia was fortunate with his Left Hook landing on Khan's neck and this was very difficult for him to shake off and gain effective Recovery.

I also saw Garcia swinging for the fences with powerful hooks. The thought occurred that Khan could/should have profited by firing straight punches. Garcia was open and the straight punch would have beaten the hook.

I read The Guardian account, which said that Khan might re-build but that he's chinny; the inference being that he should consider Retirement. I'm not so sure, and the reason is that fluke landing of the hook on his neck which set him up for failure/KO. Kenny Bayless was quite right to stop it.

Amir does like to get into a punch-up but, really, it's the Art of Self-Defence - to hit and not get hit. He'll come again; he's popular, personable and there's money to still be made.

I'll have to have a look into Garcia (I've got Boxing News but haven't had time to read it) although apparently Garcia's father is a nightmare.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see Khan fight Marquez for the Light Welterweight title if Marquez keeps his WBO strap. That speed and agression might make an interesting fight against an ironclad counterpuncher like Marquez.

It was looking more likely that we'd be getting another Pacquiao v. Marquez upcoming in the fall though.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 6:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing Khan will now get ummm 3 gimme fights before fighting anyone serious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 9:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess you gotta build back up that confidence and bankability. I'm invested in him now just because I like the way he fights. I'll be emulating him (hopefully just rounds 1 and 2) when I spar on Friday. He needs to do that Peterson rematch eventually too. But for now its back to outclassing journeymen I suppose.
  10. zhainerobenson

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 8:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool post!