Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 9:03pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is kwonkicker still around? I bet he could chime in with some good stuff.

Also, Kpop sucks dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 12:43am

Style: TKD, Boxing, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most TKD schools are crap, no argument there, but some can be better than most. My old school was weird in that it does mid contact sparring ( you can punch pretty much as hard as you want anywhere to the body, as well as kick at about 60% strength, as well as use light strikes to the headgear, but no jabs directly to the face ), promotes the boxing style "chin down, hands up" mentality and we don't have a completely sideways stance, but rather a more slanted one. No chest gear, We didn't train for competition or sport, punches were thrown just as much as kicks, and having a class without sparring was very rare.

My Krav Maga teachers ( after my first class ) were amazed when I told them my striking skill came from being a BB in TKD, since they are so used to all of the really shitty ATA students around here. They all thought I had boxing training ( with randomly good kicks ). Still have a lot to work on though.

So I guess TKD can be a decent-good martial art if trained the traditional way given the right circumstances and if the student trains in and out of class with the right mindset. I wish the rules weren't so damn restricting though! I never got why I couldn't kick to the legs or knee the other guy if we trained those moves in drills and kata....
    Last edited by Urbanassassin; 7/16/2012 12:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 4:45am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
    I've learned many, many times more about fighting in 2 months of MMA than I had in a year of Shotokan. One thing I will give to Karate though, is that the sideways stance protects the groin a lot better than a standard stance. However, that comes with a lot of tradeoffs, like free crippling leg kicks, no power on the front hand, and looking like an idiot.
    Ya know I always find it funny how many guys take this extremely bladed stance, like I saw a dude, standing completely to the side, I think he may have even been giving his back a little. I know from how I was taught the stance is the hips facing about 45 degrees and the front knee and foot forward, the rear leg turned forward as much as you can. I will say this though I did kickboxing before karate and we fought completely square so I don't now maybe I blended a little but I don' know anyone in my dojo who completely blades up.
    The sad thing is the checking low kicks with the shin is in karate but barely anyone trains it.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:05am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I had a conversation about karate and TKD with some folks last night, and I was curious what people on here thought... While I realize the ridiculousness of stuff like point karate or Olympic TKD, what is it about those martial arts, and others like it, that people find so silly and ineffectual? There has to be some benefit to it, especially since they spar and compete quite a bit.

I ask because I have sparred with a number of really good karate and TKD guys, and they are difficult opponents... They hit hard, accurate, defend well, and have lots of live experience. In fact, the hardest I have ever been kicked in the head was by a TKD guy. Of course, some of the stuff they do has its weaknesses (ie completely sideways stance, hands low, snapping kicks with the foot, etc.), but I could say the same thing about some aspects of BJJ and judo, as well.

I want specifics. Be as vitriolic as you want.
    You need to shut the **** up.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:07am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own a gym where there is a TKD program, and they spar really hard. They've also developed their own league that uses the old full-contact karate rules, so they work all the basics: keep your hands up, chin down, etc. Same stuff I do in my boxing classes, but they have all these beautiful kicks in their arsenal, as well.

My main complaint about the style is that they don't allow kicks to the legs, which I think is a huge shortcoming... They don't even have an effective way of dealing with lower-body kicks at all.
    You still need to shut the **** up.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi108 View Post
    you still need to shut the **** up.
    ok bro got it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I remember checking a kick in TKD like I did in MT. Got told off. I get the feeling I should drop a "nuff said", but there's more to say.
    A few years back, I was invited to spar at a TKD place through someone at the SDSU CMA club. I blocked roundhouse kicks with my elbows, leaving my hands up. I believe that's pretty standard fighting technique. Anyway, they complained that I shouldn't block that way.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 2:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 3:52pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese View Post
    Also, Kpop sucks dick.
    Drunken Tiger, ************.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 3:53pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok bro got it.
    Ask stupid questions full of stupid assumptions, get stupid responses.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast