Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Vidar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swedish hapkido practitioner

Hello everyone,

The fancy yellow sign in my browser suggested that I made my first post over here and I guess introductions are in order.

I am a 22 year old would-be martial artist from Sweden and have trained in hapkido for almost 8 years now. I've found it to be an enjoyable hobby and has helped me develop an interest in health and fitness, not to mention it has provided a great social environment.

As I have moved from my hometown due to studies, I've started looking into other MAs as I want to become a more complete martial artist. I've tried out alot of different styles in the past, though mostly TMAs, which were rarely big on full-contact sparring and competative fighting.

Recently I've started to seriously look into MMA and the styles commonly represented in it. I can recognize alot of the techniques in the UFC, K1, etc, from what I've been taught in hapkido, but also that my profiency with them are under-developed due to a lack of sparring.
    My current goal is finding a good environment to learn new skills, and develop present ones, in an alive and competative manner.

See you around!

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I see you didn't ask for a recommendation, but I'm gonna give some anyways: Judo to replace hapkido. Supplemented with Muay Thai or even Kyokushin, since I hear that's easier to find over in EU than it is here.

Otherwise just find an MMA gym and enjoy, they're all fun MAs in their own right.

Vidar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the welcome.

Judo is probably my top choice at the moment, with kyokushin second.

However, I've started to wonder about kyokushin. When I took a few trial lessons at the local kyokushin club I was told I had to pass my first belt test and train for one semester before being allowed to spar. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it, as I wasn't able to tell what I could expect the club to offer and didn't really want to spend time practicing stances and striking the air. I can do that in hapkido.

Maybe I am simply better off with muay thai for striking?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    Thank you for the welcome.

Judo is probably my top choice at the moment, with kyokushin second.

However, I've started to wonder about kyokushin. When I took a few trial lessons at the local kyokushin club I was told I had to pass my first belt test and train for one semester before being allowed to spar. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it, as I wasn't able to tell what I could expect the club to offer and didn't really want to spend time practicing stances and striking the air. I can do that in hapkido.

Maybe I am simply better off with muay thai for striking?
    I have no personal experience with KK, so I can't say for sure if that's normal, but I wouldn't say that definitely counts out that school as a solid dojo. Kyokushin sparring is bare knuckle, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if you have to wait a while to jump in, for your own safety.

I do however have experience with Muay Thai, and it's always a solid choice. They'll have you sparring in no time. If you can find a cheap enough gym nearby, and you go to a couple of classes and like the feel, go for it.

Hard to go wrong with MT or Judo.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    In the end I decided it wasn't worth it, as I wasn't able to tell what I could expect the club to offer and didn't really want to spend time practicing stances and striking the air. I can do that in hapkido.
    Yeah, but your hapkido probably won't eventually graduate to KK sparring.

It's reasonable to have someone train "dead" for a good while before having them spar. There are lots of habits that need to be in place before one should be bareknuckle sparring with intensity. How to take a hit, how to tuck your chin, etc.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido put me on the right path as well, I now train in BJJ and did a bit of judo. Judo and KK are good. You'll have an advantage due to your hapkido, but only a slight one.

MT usually makes you wait a bit before hard sparring as well, so it isn't that much different from KK from what I can tell.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Vidar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your advice.

Just to clarify, I do not question the reason or the validity of the kyokushin club for making the new students wait, though I am questioning if it is suiting my needs at the moment.
    Right now I have a pretty good selection of MAs to choose from, but I expect having to move to a smaller town for work within a year which could limit my training opportunities.
    That's why I want to spend as much time as possible until then training full contact.
    Judo seems to be avaliable pretty much everywhere over here, so that should not be a problem. Kyokushin though, while not entirely uncommon, I haven't seen as much of.

If muay thai get's down to the business a little faster than kyokushin, that is what I need right now, even if I feel more inclined to go with kyokushin in the long run.

In either case, I'll go and check out a few MT gyms when I get the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Hapkido put me on the right path as well, I now train in BJJ and did a bit of judo. Judo and KK are good. You'll have an advantage due to your hapkido, but only a slight one.
    That is nice to hear! Have you stopped doing hapkido alltogether since?

I've been sparring with friends from different styles (boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, karate) for a few years which has really been an eye-opener. The different training methods we were used to from our respective styles really became evident, even if alot of the techniques were similar.

Hitokiri88
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. I've seen some Hapkido videos around. It looks like a cross between Taekwondo and Ju-Jutsu. Very cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last