Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 12:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing chunner View Post
    He trained with Dan for 9 years off and on before Vunak.
    What's his certification under Dan? He's way more rigid than any of Dan's guys that I've seen.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 1:05pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Hey Bhodi, who do you like for picking up drills and sinawali?
    For Sinawali I go to Doug Marcaida. Sinawali isn't a drill, it's a method of double stick fighting. If you don't know the method, the sinawali drill is just banging sticks together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I agree that Barry is supper compliant. I like the gross motor skills one can pick up from his flows but if there's someone more well rounded I'd like to check them out.
    Ron Balicki's got good stuff. Guru Dan, of course. Kuya Doug as mentioned above, and Guro Jun De Leon, who Kuya Doug gives all respect to as a teacher.

Seriously though, none of these YouTube guys are worth learning from. No one is worth picking up a drill from off a video, even if it is Dan Inosanto. All of these drills are meant to convey energy back and forth, and there's more to them than just the drills themselves. You've got to feel them from someone who's got the complete picture, knows the drill, and can do without the drill. You might pick up a random thing or two from a video, but in the end, it's just like any other martial art system, you have to find a teacher.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 1:13pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I've gone back and reviewed the videos. I would not pay money for any of Mr. Cuda's products. He moves stiffly, and his technique is worse than mine. I don't mean this to say I am great at JKD or kali. I am fair to middling, and a beginner compared to many other names in this thread and in the JKD community.

So why would I go to someone who is as good as I am or worse for material? Especially when there are so many virtual paragons of amazing technique and skill? Ron Balicki, again. Diana Inosanto. Joe Simonet and Addy Hernandez. Watch their videos on YouTube. Compare their motion to Mr. Cuda. It's just not there.

Mr. Cuda is "good". Declaring him as being amazing either shows a lack of experience with excellent, master class JKD and Kali instructors, or massive nuthuggery.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 7/16/2012 1:17pm at .

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    You might pick up a random thing or two from a video, but in the end, it's just like any other martial art system, you have to find a teacher.
    Aw man, you mean I can't get my cert online?

J/K, thanks for the leads!
  6. Wing chunner

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir do you have School or DVD where is your school at, Could you Spar with Barry and Win.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir do you have School or DVD where is your school at, Could you Spar with Barry and Win.
    Who are you asking? And are you planning on asnwering any of the questions brought up?

Do you have any videos of Barry sparring?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  8. Wing chunner

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir you don't have **** on Barry Cuda where is your Kali DVDs , and 9 years of training with Guro Dan, Barry trained with Guro Dan 1985-1993

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 2:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir do you have School or DVD where is your school at,
    You posted about the DVDs you are now in a discussion. Don't try to divert the comments to his school, dvd or training prowess. If you are going to get upset at critiques and opinions this is not the website for you.

Could you Spar with Barry and Win.
    If you think there is winning at sparring, you need to adjust your training methods. Sparring is for training not winning.

Since you are going this route let me show you what we do on bullshido:
    He trained with Dan for 9 years off and on before Vunak.
    From Barry Cuda's own Blog:
    http://www.bebladesmart.com/apps/blog/
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda on March 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    In the summer of ’86 I flew out to LA for a week at the IMB to train with Dan Inosanto and Richard Bustillo. I was completely blown away at the utter mastery of these instructors.

I remember in ’86 when I became a student of Paul Vunak, he was teaching us an unheard of art called Brazilian JiuJitsu taught by the unheard of Gracie Brothers, but I’ll get to that later.

When Inosanto’s top students, Paul Vunak, Burt Richardson, Cass Magda and others starting becoming successful in their own right, Jeet Kune Do suddenly became popular.
    --snip--
    So what about my beloved Filipino Martial Arts? They are finally popular and it makes me want to wretch. I honestly never thought it could happen, but it has. The three main people I have trained with are Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak, and Wing Chun Instructor Randy Williams. These three people are the most amazing martial artists that I have ever seen, and still, they are humble enough to always acknowledge where they came from and are diplomats at representing their arts. They have never turned their back on those that came before them and claimed to have invented some crazy new thing. Now that we are in the 21st century the latest fad is Filipino Martial Arts, especially knife fighting According to Grandmaster Ben Largusa, who was the top disciple of Kali Grandmaster Floro Villabraille, the Filipino knife and stick arts date back to the First Century.
    So, no he wasn't training with Inosanto for 9 years before Vu, he calls Vunak one of Inosanto's top students, and has established his lineage. You are wrong.Welcome to bullshido where we WILL fact check and call you on your mistakes. Carry on.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir you don't have **** on Barry Cuda where is your Kali DVDs , and 9 years of training with Guro Dan, Barry trained with Guro Dan 1985-1993
    Slow down there tiger. These guys will be total dicks to you if you play fantasy ninja ball.

If you relax and take in what people say for what it's worth you can learn quite a bit and branch outinto things you may never have considered before. No need to knee jerk into "my kung-fu is the strongest" arguments because unless its actually been demonstrated on film they won't take you seriously. There's a reason for that. It's the same reason that boastful LARPing styles aren't proven on film as requested...

As for Barry, can't speak for his sparing. I've never seen it. Check out The Dog Brothers. They pressure test FMA like a mofo. It's kind of their mission statement. Also, Pektiti Tirsia Kali. It's what the Filipino special forces use and is the only FMA I know of officially adopted by a military, i.e., it's the only style FMA still tested in life or death strugles on a very regular basis. (At least on paper..)

http://dogbrothers.com/

http://www.pekiti.com/
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast