Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 9:04am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glove comparison

You guys seem to be more knowledgeable on boxing gear matters than me so help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to decide between buying "everlast" brand gloves that look like this and cost 1400 pesos or "windy" gloves that look like this and which normally cost 2800 pesos but I can get from the gym I go to for 2300 pesos.

Is there a big difference in quality between the two gloves that would justify the higher cost or would I get better value from the cheaper everlast gloves?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't personally ever used a pair of Windy gloves, but they have a good reputation.
    Everlast gloves are generally crap and will wear out quickly. Can't speak to that specific pair, but pretty much all lower end Everlast stuff stinks, and for their higher end stuff you can still find better quality at that price point.
    I'd go with the Windys

PSEdit: Also those Windy gloves look badass

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 9:14pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by profroche View Post
    I haven't personally ever used a pair of Windy gloves, but they have a good reputation.
    Everlast gloves are generally crap and will wear out quickly. Can't speak to that specific pair, but pretty much all lower end Everlast stuff stinks, and for their higher end stuff you can still find better quality at that price point.
    I'd go with the Windys

PSEdit: Also those Windy gloves look badass
    I agree completely with this. Never used Windy but have heard good stuff. My everlast gloves fell apart pretty quick.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 9:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom line? Most Everlast non professional gear sucks. Windy is always consistent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 11:05pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So "windy" gloves it is. Thanks for the information, guys.

I normally just rent gloves at the gym but they have other peoples stank on them and that sorta wierds me out. The changing of glove type also messes up my hand. Different gloves seem to have different "sweet spots", so I have to try and discover where on the glove to hit everytime, again and again. Most importantly, I've gotten the smallest and most minor wounds on my hand infected from the rented gloves.

Sure hope the gloves are a decent investment.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 11:35pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Windy is generally a pretty solid choice. Although if you're getting them specifically for boxing, I'd probably go with something that was made specifically for boxing, not muay thai. Thai gloves typically have a different design that's made to accommodate clinching and kick-catching- short cuffs, a more open palm, different thumbs, and a generally more "square" shape.

Still, Everlast is the wrong choice in any case. It's all **** unless you go for the really high-end stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 5:45pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to treat myself to a pre-Christmas gift of new gloves.

Anyone owned a pair of Bad Boy Thai gloves?

One of the places I train has a sponsorship deal with them and can get gear with a decent discount. However so far the only person I've spoken to who's owned a pair didn't really rate the quality.

Worth a try or should I just spend the extra cash and buy a pair of Sandee/Fairtex/Twins?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 7:47pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll reiterate everyone else. Windy good, everlast crap. I did a lot of Internet research before buying gloves and went with hyabusa training gloves and combat sport international mitts. Seemed to be the most bang for the buck.