Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 10:47pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not caring because you did it first? Hipster.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 10:52pm

Style: Aikido / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol he made me remember something I told my students in class last year when they were griping about something not being fair, "look, I have no favorites, i hate you all the same"

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 11:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Not caring because you did it first? Hipster.
    :cereal:

I meant to refer, dear Sir, that I do not measure my hate with that of others. Not that I had anything to be shy about, though. My hate, it burns bright.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 11:28pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    I also hate everybody. And I am no hipster.

Because I didn't care if I hated you before others did.
    I just hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    :cereal:

I meant to refer, dear Sir, that I do not measure my hate with that of others. Not that I had anything to be shy about, though. My hate, it burns bright.
    Please, newborn kittens have more hate than you. Don't kid yourself.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 11:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I... Just hide it well.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 5:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don't Understand

Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    This is just an awesome article

THE TWO FACES OF COMBATIVES, 

Hunter B. Armstrong

"affective aggression (in animals, predominantly displayed towards members of the same species) is typified by a high level of emotional display with comparatively little potential for lethal results. In contrast, predatory aggression, while often lacking overt display, frequently has a more lethal outcome."

This is the big draw to Bullshido for me, the insane level of accountability, and confrontation allow for a discourse to develop.

from the article
    "Affective combative-systems are predominantly those fighting systems aimed at civilian, single self-defense, and agonistic (sport and/or display related). However, the dominant impetus for the development of non-battlefield combative-systems would have been civilian self-defense, from which would emerge the duel, the agonistic, etc., as historico-cultural influences dictated."

"With the development of more densely populated, agroindustrial societies, we would see more and more blurring of the distinctions leading to certain kinds and degrees of maladaptive application."

"These distinctive affective/pseudo-predatory behaviors are retained within the structures and functions of the fighting arts within socio-cultural traditions world-wide. In the traditional fighting arts of older cultures, especially, we are provided a window into the combative behavior of our ancestors. By comparison with modern fighting systems, we gain a further insight into the differential evolution of our own combative behaviors, contextually determined, as affective combat, pseudo-predatory combat, or, more likely, a blending of both."

I like the paradigm created in the article. I have read somewhere that Shotokan Karate is a dueling art, but always wondered what the circumstances leading to the development of a dueling art where, as compared to something like Wing Chun. Not necessarily discussing the effectiveness of an art, but examining it as a phenomenon within its cultural parameters.

Their Spartan acadamy is just a 2 hour drive from me, I think I might take a road trip.
    What's UP! I am learning some real grass roots ****-maybe I really don't know what I'm doing on this site.I suppose I better admit to being a newbie all around! Affective Aggressive Behavior? I must not actually understand that I am not aggresive but must learn aggressive acting?

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 8:17am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been a big fan of Burton for many years. I had heard before that his wife had burned all his notes after his death, thus eliminating vols. II and III of his Book of the Sword. Found out not that long ago that the notes survive - he'd just never bothered publishing them, because the response to Vol I was so poor. They're stored in, IIRC, the British Library.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12