Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:53pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe good for you bro...

Also, it is funny, how weird and silly all the thing you said sounds now, even though most of us have been through that phase.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember wanting to write a "sorry Bullshido" thread. I was really contrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:58pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    In this thread, how many of you have had to overcome ego problems similar to this in the past? What was the breaking point? What was an example of your "lowest moment" before you tossed the ego aside and just started training? Or if you can't relate to this at all, then why are still reading this thread?
    It took a lot of guts on your part to admit you made a mistake. It took even more to admit it to a website full of opinionated assholes like this one.

Good luck in your future training.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gave up my ego in the 90's, but I kept a bit of an attitude. I try not to post anything here that I would have to apologize for, but sometimes I do. Many martial artists tend to be opinionated, and set in their ways; it the shoe fits, I wear it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 8:25pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I remember rolling with you at JT's like 2 and half years ago when I was a gassing-out white-belt, and I didn't think you were a bad person at all. Remember when we went to Judo a few weeks later? That was a lot of fun. Either way, glad to see you are on your path. I do BJJ all summer when the main university club is closed, so maybe I'll see you there.

EDIT: My lowest point in terms of ego so far (I am still on this journey!) was probably about six or eight months ago, when I realized all the mistakes I had been making, when I couldn't throw or submit anyone, when I was tired all the time, when I was mad at others. Then my eyes were opened, I was able to laugh and enjoy myself, and ego literally vanished. This corresponded with my skill increasing significantly (this is a relative thing, I know). Its no coincidence that I am also more relaxed at competitions and when rolling/doing randori. Ego still rears its ugly head from time to time depending on outside influences (did I have a shitty day?), but I feel more like a permanent student now and less like someone trying to win all the time. It's changed me to a degree as a person in a positive way, and made me more humble. But that psychological change only happened from getting my ass kicked all the time, five to six days a week for several plus years. I love martial arts and will practice them all my life.
    Last edited by hathor; 7/16/2012 8:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 10:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hathor View Post
    Well, I remember rolling with you at JT's like 2 and half years ago when I was a gassing-out white-belt, and I didn't think you were a bad person at all. Remember when we went to Judo a few weeks later? That was a lot of fun. Either way, glad to see you are on your path. I do BJJ all summer when the main university club is closed, so maybe I'll see you there.
    Ah, I'm no longer training with JT. I think he is an incredible instructor, but I can't afford it anymore. And yea, I remember that Judo class. I was so exhausted after that. Also I really enjoyed the format you guys practice under (lots of conditioning). Sadly by the time my finances get together enough to afford training again, I'll have moved back home. It was a ton of fun though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 12:30pm

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    I got similar condescending responses from my ex sensei about doing Judo and Jiu Jitsu. He even tried to pick a fight with me when I left the school. He physically threatened me in phone calls and threatened to take me to court over the whole matter. He was smart enough not to try and follow through with that threat, considering he knows less about the law then he does about fighting.

I thought it was really funny how he kept saying that my choosing to do Judo and Jiu-Jitsu would just make me violent and not teach me self control or help me find peace in life, yet he blew up when I left his school and made a total ass of himself. So much for that whole "we're atleast better at the life stuff" thing.
    WHOA! Really? It wasnt Grimes,was it? I kinda figured him as being the least arrogant of the higher ranking Kokikai froots. But I've been wrong before.

I think Imma have to take a friend or two to this club you speak of and have a little fun,lol.

And yeah, the lame "defense against......." I think the best thing I learned though was curling and twisting my wrist when someone grabs it. Its actually worked well in my kumi kata in both ne waza and tachi waza.

But I do remember trying to use Aikido techniques at Judo when I was a white belt. Lo and behold,it DIDNT work against 100% of the people 100% of the time. surprise.

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 4:24pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I remember wanting to write a "sorry Bullshido" thread. I was really contrite.
    Man, I'd have read that one for sure.

Perhaps we should have a contrite thread competition. For those who didn't post the bullshit they were probably still thinking (and that includes MMA fucktards, not just TMA fucktards), they should apologise for what they would have written.

Except maybe for Devil. He can apologise for what he's going to write in the next few weeks ;-)

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before Bullshido, I used to post on the Attack Proof forum, so yeah. I'm sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 12:55pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    WHOA! Really? It wasnt Grimes,was it? I kinda figured him as being the least arrogant of the higher ranking Kokikai froots. But I've been wrong before.

I think Imma have to take a friend or two to this club you speak of and have a little fun,lol.
    You've been wrong before, and you are definitely wrong again. He's just much better at the whole "lying to his students and getting away with it" thing. He constantly stresses that competition sports wont teach you any real self defense skills (street vs. sport), that aikido is some ancient samurai art that is unbeatable when "done correctly" (no true scotsman, appeal to authority). And he got on my case constantly about sparring with other martial artists and testing my skills. Saying it would "hinder my development of "Ki".

Also there was a matter of a student losing their temper over a conversation and breaking their sister's face (eyesocket/cheekbone needed surgery). The student was not reprimanded for this obviously un-aikido-like thing to do. Not even after he had just received his sankyu rank. I was thrown out of the school at one point for failing to call and notify him of not being able to show up when I was homeless, starving and frankly had more important things to do than aikido.

Also after I had been incredibly respectful to him, looked up to him, and pretty much served as his dojo bitch for over a year, he had the nerve to say I wasn't respecting him enough as a sensei because I didn't cater to his every whim and offer to fold his hakama.

Then there was the multitude of times I saw him slam minors (under 18 practitioners) into the mat head first (me being one of them). To show how "good" he was. At the time (probably due to the concussion) I figured it was a good thing to learn. Now I realise he was in his 30s and slamming poor teenagers heads into the mat to show how "tough" he is. And not to mention he taught those teenagers to attack incorrectly, and to put themselves in the position so he could do it. Talk about unethical.

So... yea, you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    And yeah, the lame "defense against......." I think the best thing I learned though was curling and twisting my wrist when someone grabs it. Its actually worked well in my kumi kata in both ne waza and tachi waza.

But I do remember trying to use Aikido techniques at Judo when I was a white belt. Lo and behold,it DIDNT work against 100% of the people 100% of the time. surprise.
    The wrist curling is pretty useful I'll admit. Makes it pretty hard to isolate an arm when I'm trying to defend submissions (keyword: trying). Also It's pretty nice for handfighting and other things. Also like I put in my original post, I've actually used some of the stuff to defend myself, so it's not useless. It's just useless against a committed opponent skilled in actual fighting.

And yea, I didn't even try when I went to judo classes. I tried for a few sessions in BJJ, but just kept getting my ass kicked and decided I should learn the system, because what I was doing wasn't working. By the time I was in the Judo classes, I already knew the **** I learned in Kokikai would just: a) get me/someone else hurt (despite how they constantly talk about it being "safe") and b) would not help me one iota in terms of grappling.

EDIT: Missed these

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    FTR, I thought Kokikai was a prick.
    FTR, So did I.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Welcome the new you :-)
    Thank you. Coming from someone who was dealing with the old me, I take this as a compliment.
    Last edited by Zerstörer90; 7/19/2012 1:06pm at . Reason: Avoiding double post.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast