Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Well their krotty (shito ryu) has a really bullshiting type sensei that has them really into the philosphical and life stuff for example I posted in facebook "I wanna do some Muay Thai :)" one of them asked "what? well if you wanna have loads of medals and beat up anyone Kyokushin and Muay Thai will make you the best but if you want something else spiritual come to shito ryu"
    That's funny. I have a friend who competes in national tournaments under a Shito Ryu school, and from his perspective it's pretty no-nonsense (other than the point sparring thing).

Yes I have showed her and the other shito ryu "karatekas" a couple of things of Kyokushin they either say its a brawl or that "LOLZ THEY DONT PUNCH HEAD!!1!! THEY SUXX!!"
    Other people from her dojo still think that my cousin could beat up the MT fighter he fought
    and they all fully-believe that their almost 70 years old master would knock the MT guy with a single punch.
    I've seen that video a few times, and yea, it's a good example of why you need intensity and contact in a striking art. Every time i see it I want to take Muay Thai so damn bad. Anyway, I've also seen a lot of that sensei worship in a multitude of different arts, and now that I'm coming out of that mentality it sickens me. I mean there is evidence right in front of these people, but then comes the no true aikidoka/scotsman/kareteka crap.

Also LOL. Tell them to full contact spar you and show them why they suck. (probably not your girlfriend though...)

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apology accepted. Most of us went through similar experiences to yours.

Now go do some burpees and work on your takedowns damnit!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Apology accepted. Most of us went through similar experiences to yours.

Now go do some burpees and work on your takedowns damnit!
    Yes sir!

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    In this thread, how many of you have had to overcome ego problems similar to this in the past? What was the breaking point?
    I used to try to "fight" and I'd get myself hurt. Often trying not to "hurt" the oponent with my "ninja skills" or whatever it was I was convinced I possesed.

I'd fight for various perceived slights or injuries, all of them often more a product of my ego than any actual greivance.

Some part of me (ego? id? gonads?) saw the fight as a competition. I would "prove" something. My ego told me I was trying to prove something to other people, my oponents. My heart knows that I was really trying to prove something to myself. This occasionally got my ass kicked. It's a lesson all fighters must learn.

Older, and hopefully wiser I no longer care what others think of my "toughness". Their immaterial thoughs have no bearing on reality and as such now have even less bearing on my immaterial thoughts.

I no longer see violence as a "competition". I see it as an ugly moment that must be dealt with quickly and decisively. A "win" is if I go home instead of jail or the hospital or both. That is all. My trophy is life in peace. My belt holds up my pants. And I'll use any "style" that serves me in the moment. Period.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 12:20am

Style: KK

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went and tried to find my first couple of posts. They're equally embarrassing. The new site won't go back that far, and I can't seem to find them on Google. I remember one of them was chiming in on one of LI Guy's threads with some really asinine bullshit, and another was indignantly defending Aikijutsu (my art at the time) when it was completely unnecessary. If Fake or someone has access to them, they're perfectly welcome to..(ugh) quote them here.

I hate me.

Anyway, thanks Bullshido. **** you Fake.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: The Jits + Hung Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it makes you feel better I totally believed in combat ki when I was 11 and I still shudder at the memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 7:08am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Props for writing this thread. I am also an ex-aikidoka convert. No hard feelings for my instructors but I know how you feel.

I never made a point of telling people Aikido was effective, but deep within that's what I always thought. Sanda woke me up, and now I'll sign up for MMA/BJJ lessons.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 7:30am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done. Didn't realise you and Kokikai were the same person.
    FTR, I thought Kokikai was a prick.

I was very lucky. I wrote my first post at work just before going on holiday so it never got posted (pending my return). Thanks be to heaven, that by the time I eventually got around to re-reading it to post, I had moved on. I too would have come across as an enormous ballbag.

My actual first post wasn't great, but it could have been so much worse.

Welcome the new you :-)

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 6:19pm

Style: yellow bamboo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    This is me from the thread: (my first post on Bullshido) Aikido myth or truth

Second: Despite my former sensei's wishes, I went into a Judo class, and then a few days later in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. I got my ass kicked royally. To my surprise they told me I was doing pretty well for my first day, but I felt like I was doing horrible. I realized then the inflation of ego that I had been suffering.
    Yep. Sounds kinda like what I went through. My Kokikai sensei was kindof using me as his "tough guy" example,when really,my skill came from being a yonkyu in Judo ATT.

I could tell that he absolutely HATED the fact that I was training in Judo. One night he made a condescending remark about it. And I straight way-layed his ass with hiza garuma in front of about 30 people. Quit shortly after that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    Yep. Sounds kinda like what I went through. My Kokikai sensei was kindof using me as his "tough guy" example,when really,my skill came from being a yonkyu in Judo ATT.

I could tell that he absolutely HATED the fact that I was training in Judo. One night he made a condescending remark about it. And I straight way-layed his ass with hiza garuma in front of about 30 people. Quit shortly after that.
    Yea, they tend to do a lot of style vs. style, and street vs. sport stuff in Kokikai. Hence me being such the dickhead I was. I got a lot of stuff like that for my other studies or my past martial arts experience. It was really nice going into a class where none of that was prevalent. I mean I remember my BJJ instructor made a comment about standing wrist-locks and their effectiveness(or lack thereof). But that is it. I can remember atleast every class in Aikido we did techniques of "other arts" as attacks. Though now I get it.

I got similar condescending responses from my ex sensei about doing Judo and Jiu Jitsu. He even tried to pick a fight with me when I left the school. He physically threatened me in phone calls and threatened to take me to court over the whole matter. He was smart enough not to try and follow through with that threat, considering he knows less about the law then he does about fighting.

I thought it was really funny how he kept saying that my choosing to do Judo and Jiu-Jitsu would just make me violent and not teach me self control or help me find peace in life, yet he blew up when I left his school and made a total ass of himself. So much for that whole "we're atleast better at the life stuff" thing. My Judo and BJJ instructors are incredibly moral and ethical people who give great advice when they are in their depth, and are totally willing to admit when they aren't. I have no idea if any of these are normal, but it was definitely a refreshing change.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast