Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    This is me from the thread: (my first post on Bullshido) Aikido myth or truth

I was fuckin retarded for thinking this. I fully regret talking ****. I fully regret acting like I knew AT ALL what I was talking about here. After stopping posting on this thread, I proceeded to do a few things:

First: I confronted my (now ex-)Sensei about the problems presented to me by the very intelligent members of this site (most notably would be Rock Ape, I appreciate your patience in the matter, and I apologize for my idiotic behavior; Honorable mention to Ignorami, who also contributed quite a bit to the conversation).
    Fucking brits. They always get the recognition while the spaniards do the hard work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Fucking brits. They always get the recognition while the spaniards do the hard work.
    Fair point. Further Honorable mentions to DCS. Your insight was invaluable as well to my recovery. Hell lets also give one to Bodhi, for being just enough of an ass to get me to listen.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I can relate, most of my friends are either in krotty or aikido. Though your girl is drinking the kool-aid? That sucks. Though you being in KK it seems like you could point some things out to her, I mean switching styles of karate isn't as big of a jump (i'd imagine) as switching to Muay Thai or something.

You have smart friends. All of my friends who are in aikido fully plan on getting hakamas and preaching bullshit to people.
    Your friends don't do karate.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...p/t-74091.html
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Lol yet another fair point. So what do they do?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on being perceptive and aware.

On the ego issue, everyone has one. The important thing is the awareness that you have one, and how it can lead you astray.

A major part of combat sports (Judo in my case) is to have a "safe" place to expose those sides of your personality that maybe you don't want to look at. All sorts of interesting things come up. Happened to me several times, and I've seen it go on with my students as well over the years.

It does take some serious and dedicated training, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, you were full of **** back then. Do you wish you could get back that time you spent masturbating in Aikido? And fucked some of that real live Martial Arts *****? Because I spent 4 years in some god motherfucking awful CLF believing all kinds of ignorant ****. Now I thrown knives at the face of my old sifu taped over a dart board, plotting revenge for 4 years of being misled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:28pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I can relate, most of my friends are either in krotty or aikido. Though your girl is drinking the kool-aid? That sucks. Though you being in KK it seems like you could point some things out to her, I mean switching styles of karate isn't as big of a jump (i'd imagine) as switching to Muay Thai or something.

You have smart friends. All of my friends who are in aikido fully plan on getting hakamas and preaching bullshit to people.
    Well their krotty (shito ryu) has a really bullshiting type sensei that has them really into the philosphical and life stuff for example I posted in facebook "I wanna do some Muay Thai :)" one of them asked "what? well if you wanna have loads of medals and beat up anyone Kyokushin and Muay Thai will make you the best but if you want something else spiritual come to shito ryu"

Yes I have showed her and the other shito ryu "karatekas" a couple of things of Kyokushin they either say its a brawl or that "LOLZ THEY DONT PUNCH HEAD!!1!! THEY SUXX!!"
    Other people from her dojo still think that my cousin could beat up the MT fighter he fought

and they all fully-believe that their almost 70 years old master would knock the MT guy with a single punch.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey sorry, I didn't mean to sound like *you* were making these mistakes or I thought less of you for saying what you did. Much the opposite, it takes a lot of guts to write the post you did and admit you felt you were wrong and apologize. That's awesome. I applaud you.

I was trying to clarify a distinction between ego on the one hand and dishonorable or unpleasant on the other. In other words, I'm saying that ego does not necessarily equal bad.

I'm going to take another crack at it and hopefully I'll make my point more clearly: If my goal is to improve myself, in martial arts or in anything, what is fundamental to that endeavor is that I've got a self to improve in the first place.

And that sense of self is precisely ego. Our name. That's what ego is. Our sense of self as separate from our environment and other selves. And so long as that sensation exists, I'm going to be aware of how I'm either inferior (tends to be insecure) or superior (tends to be secure).

That's what it's really all about. BJJ being more alive than Aikido has made it a more verifiable discipline in terms of competitive legitimacy, and so there are more people out there who will vouch for it's authenticity as a smart way to improve yourself.

A skilled Brazilian Jiu Jitsu man has very good odds in unarmed combat against damn near anyone, especially an Aikidoka who has never trained against a resisting opponent.

But if we were to look at these disciplines truly without ego we could admit that all they really prove is that human beings tend to develop skill when they practice something over time, and that BJJ is a more intelligent approach to real unarmed combat with a resisting opponent than Aikido is.

When I step onto the mat though, and my intention is to become better, that very act is evidence the ego is alive and well, running full throttle. The basic idea I'm putting forward is since having an ego is part of the human condition, better to keep it healthy and out in the open than becoming totally neurotic and self-deceptive (the common approach of Aikido, and for that matter, the "self-help" community) by trying to overcome it or hide it.

I meant no offense or criticism to you, personally. Your posts were exemplary of someone with a healthy ego.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Congratulations on being perceptive and aware.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    On the ego issue, everyone has one. The important thing is the awareness that you have one, and how it can lead you astray.

A major part of combat sports (Judo in my case) is to have a "safe" place to expose those sides of your personality that maybe you don't want to look at. All sorts of interesting things come up. Happened to me several times, and I've seen it go on with my students as well over the years.

It does take some serious and dedicated training, though.
    I agree, and I'm starting to see it more and more in Combat Sports. It's a fascinating experience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Man, you were full of **** back then. Do you wish you could get back that time you spent masturbating in Aikido? And fucked some of that real live Martial Arts *****? Because I spent 4 years in some god motherfucking awful CLF believing all kinds of ignorant ****. Now I thrown knives at the face of my old sifu taped over a dart board, plotting revenge for 4 years of being misled.
    To be honest? Yea, I wish I could take all that wasted time, money, and opportunity back. But part of me is glad I did it so I can appreciate what I do now. I wouldn't mind teaching my ex-sensei a thing or two about boxing though lol.

Also, tip of the hat to you Q, you crack me the **** up man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by broctonrye View Post
    Hey sorry, I didn't mean to sound like *you* were making these mistakes or I thought less of you for saying what you did. Much the opposite, it takes a lot of guts to write the post you did and admit you felt you were wrong and apologize. That's awesome. I applaud you.
    Thank you, I appreciate you can see what I'm doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Broctonrye
    I'm going to take another crack at it and hopefully I'll make my point more clearly: If my goal is to improve myself, in martial arts or in anything, what is fundamental to that endeavor is that I've got a self to improve in the first place.

And that sense of self is precisely ego. Our name. That's what ego is. Our sense of self as separate from our environment and other selves. And so long as that sensation exists, I'm going to be aware of how I'm either inferior (tends to be insecure) or superior (tends to be secure).

That's what it's really all about. BJJ being more alive than Aikido has made it a more verifiable discipline in terms of competitive legitimacy, and so there are more people out there who will vouch for it's authenticity as a smart way to improve yourself.

A skilled Brazilian Jiu Jitsu man has very good odds in unarmed combat against damn near anyone, especially an Aikidoka who has never trained against a resisting opponent.

But if we were to look at these disciplines truly without ego we could admit that all they really prove is that human beings tend to develop skill when they practice something over time, and that BJJ is a more intelligent approach to real unarmed combat with a resisting opponent than Aikido is.

When I step onto the mat though, and my intention is to become better, that very act is evidence the ego is alive and well, running full throttle. The basic idea I'm putting forward is since having an ego is part of the human condition, better to keep it healthy and out in the open than becoming totally neurotic and self-deceptive (the common approach of Aikido, and for that matter, the "self-help" community) by trying to overcome it or hide it.

I meant no offense or criticism to you, personally. Your posts were exemplary of someone with a healthy ego.
    I take no offense by your comments. I appreciate any criticisms about my ego and training methods now. I can't say I was so understanding in the past, but now I try to be. Also I agree. We do all of this to satisfy the Ego. Though in order to improve you have to put the ego aside, admit you suck, and learn from those who are better than you. At a certain point you have to understand when you've improved enough to let your ego loose a little more, but I figure it's more about keeping the ego in check rather than expelling it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast