Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 5:49pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thank you Bullshido and I'm Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokikai90 View Post
    While most styles are very rigid and slow, this isn't the case for all styles in aikido. And "ki" is not magic. It's a principle for using relaxation to create what I can only describe as "dead weight". You ever see a kid in a store throwing a tantrum and his mom is trying to pick him up, he just slumps down and she can't move him? Same thing. The style I take is Kokikai Aikido, which was founded by Shuji Maruyama, direct student and uchi deshi for Koichi Tohei, who was a 1st generation student of O-sensei. Maruyama even did some work with O-sensei later in his life. Tohei brought alot to aikido, though modern "ki society" schools are ineffective as far as i can see. Still rigid, no fluidity, trying to force technique. Maruyama has brought just as much, his theory on aikido is that it is an ever-evolving art. He came to America when Aikido was still relatively young anywhere except for Japan. So he, frankly, got destroyed by fast striking martial arts, and advanced grapplers. He then modified his techniques, through trial and error, to come to some basic principles that make aikido insanely effective. The first of which is to master evasion. Don't get hit. By taking out the rigidity of the techniques and taking alot more balance, implementing small changes in technique, and training with resistance, It starts to work more smoothly. Also, trying to figure techniques from the jab, leg kicks, and clinch can help you loads.
    as for compared to other martial arts? It's a coin toss really. There is no art that will make you an "ultimate badass". That is up to how you train. If you train aikido techniques in hardcore situations with people who know what they are doing, you can use aikido in hardcore situations against people who know what they are doing.
    ok... That is my rant.

Also, my sensei is 34, and he can still take on 5 people all trying to beat the hell out of him no problem. Train in what you want. If you want to be a master, you have to train to become a master. No style will give you more effectiveness. And Aikidokas, if your aikido doesn't work after 12 years? then you are doing it wrong. Period. I've only taken aikido for 2 years and I can easily apply technique in a self defense situation, without killing anyone.

This is me from the thread: (my first post on Bullshido) Aikido myth or truth

I was fuckin retarded for thinking this. I fully regret talking ****. I fully regret acting like I knew AT ALL what I was talking about here. After stopping posting on this thread, I proceeded to do a few things:

First: I confronted my (now ex-)Sensei about the problems presented to me by the very intelligent members of this site (most notably would be Rock Ape, I appreciate your patience in the matter, and I apologize for my idiotic behavior; Honorable mention to Ignorami, who also contributed quite a bit to the conversation).

His (ex Sensei's) reactions were, in my now more educated opinion, to be expected. He told me that I shouldn't worry about such things and that my training would come to fruition. That he was teaching me something I couldn't learn in "silly play fighting". He then made it a point to demonstrate one technique against an attack from MMA at every class I attended, in an attempt to convince me of it's ineffectiveness. I could smell the bullshit from a mile away at this point.

Second: Despite my former sensei's wishes, I went into a Judo class, and then a few days later in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. I got my ass kicked royally. To my surprise they told me I was doing pretty well for my first day, but I felt like I was doing horrible. I realized then the inflation of ego that I had been suffering. I went on here and read the Newbs guide to BJJ in the Basic Technique Forum and it helped me get over the tapping thing. Tap Early Tap Often. And to be honest, I feel like a total tool for what I said, and the complete ass I made of myself in my previous posts.

I have since realized that I know nothing about martial arts, or about fighting. And my own assessment of my skills was inflated and skewed by faulty training methods and blandishment from my former sensei. I am truly sorry for who I was before I found this site, and am grateful for it's existence.

TL;DR I Suck, I'm sorry

In this thread, how many of you have had to overcome ego problems similar to this in the past? What was the breaking point? What was an example of your "lowest moment" before you tossed the ego aside and just started training? Or if you can't relate to this at all, then why are still reading this thread?

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no getting rid of the ego. If you think you have, you're fooling yourself. It is possible to train patiently, but if you're training at all it's ego driven. You're in a competition for crying out loud. And while Aikido may be silly, BJJ is just as, if not moreso, ego driven because it is obsessed with competition.

If you could get rid of your ego, there'd be no point to training and you'd feel zero satisfaction when you tapped someone, and zero disappointment when you got tapped.

But that's the point. Your ego is as much a part of "you" as your legs are, and the problem isn't having an ego it's pretending you don't. For those who can admit they're human goddamn beings, competition, especially competitive martial arts, provide an outlet for that energy that's there whether we like it or not. That's the failing of Aikido, as I see it. Is that it's too high-minded. It uses a lot of metaphors that sound pretty but the thing about metaphors is they're incredibly tricky... because it's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking someone is right if they can clearly articulate a good metaphor, even though they might be entirely full of bullshido.

And having a community of mature practitioners, who all recognize that they've got a similar itch to tear each other apart because even with our fancy clothes and fancy technology we're still mammals that need to battle to feel good about ourselves, you can agree on a couple of civilized rules for sustainability's sake. Like no eye gouges or groin shots.

At least it beats passive aggressively fighting with your spouse or family.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:20pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by broctonrye View Post
    There is no getting rid of the ego. If you think you have, you're fooling yourself...
    Sorry to mislead you into thinking I don't have an ego. I wasn't choosing my words carefully enough obviously. I mean I'm no longer inflating my ego. I have an idea of the skills I've gained and I'm proud of every tiny incremental victory. I definitely have an ego. I just like to think that it now represents my abilities more honestly than before.

And to be honest I have no qualms with tapping, in training. In competition I still want to win, of course there is no denying that. If i didn't then why would I be there? In training I want to learn. And I've found, at my level, the only way to do that is to tap, a lot.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perfect, congrats on waking up.

Most of us have been there (and worse), then found our way thanks to people on Bullshido.

Now if I can just lose the bad taste from reading such a German username... :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:28pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I have to disagree with you on BJJ being more ego-driven than Aikido. In Aikido, the way it is commonly trained, there is no defeat. Everybody wins. I've personally noticed that, at least with the aikidoka I trained with, ego is all they have. And anybody who is a blue belt and up in BJJ I've noticed is usually very no-nonsense, and honest about their abilities. All of them admit their failings and focus on improvement. It was very refreshing to see that change of mindset. It changed how I view training and martial arts in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Now if I can just lose the bad taste from reading such a German username... :-)
    My girlfriend speaks German and is a huge fan of Germany. She picked the name. I needed something other than "Kokikai90", which was related to my old style of aikido, which I no longer wish to be affiliated with.
    Last edited by Zerstörer90; 7/13/2012 6:30pm at . Reason: avoiding double post

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    ...My girlfriend speaks German and is a huge fan of Germany. She picked the name. I needed something other than "Kokikai90", which was related to my old style of aikido, which I no longer wish to be affiliated with.
    It's OK, it's got to do with region - you haven't been occupied by Germans, so you wouldn't understand... :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:43pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad about your story yet I have mixed feelings reading this
    having my gf, my cousin and friends still believing in the deadly point krotty

Funny how my Aikido friends have started other things (boxing or BJJ)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    It's OK, it's got to do with region - you haven't been occupied by Germans, so you wouldn't understand... :-)
    But he's occupied a German, so that's something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Glad about your story yet I have mixed feelings reading this
    having my gf, my cousin and friends still believing in the deadly point krotty
    Yea I can relate, most of my friends are either in krotty or aikido. Though your girl is drinking the kool-aid? That sucks. Though you being in KK it seems like you could point some things out to her, I mean switching styles of karate isn't as big of a jump (i'd imagine) as switching to Muay Thai or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwuld View Post
    Funny how my Aikido friends have started other things (boxing or BJJ)
    You have smart friends. All of my friends who are in aikido fully plan on getting hakamas and preaching bullshit to people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    But he's occupied a German Major, so that's something.
    Fixed. She is perfectly fluent, and she has lived there, but she is American.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast