Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How often should I train at first?

Pretty simple question - I'm doughy and out of shape. XXIV is a doughball. Moved away, got psychologically better but it took a long time. Anyway I joined this MMA school down the road.

Started with Boxing, then Kickboxing and Boxing twice per week. Now it's Week 3: Went running on Monday for the first time in ages and I just did submission wrestling/BJJ on Tuesday for the first time and it is now Friday - I am STILL so sore the DOMS is rendering me nearly useless, it's hard to get up off the toilet much less train again. Also sprained my ankle and it's still kind of tweaked up. Gave it plenty of RICE loving.

Let's just say I've NEVER wrestled for real before. I just hopped in, shrimped over and over again and dove right into 10 solid minutes of double leg takedowns. Was made to grapple with more advanced student at end of session, so I could get a feel for the ground and my limbs and try to get the panic out.

Anyway my main question is - At first, how often should I train?

I don't want to be a wuss or anything but the DOMS is so bad that I wouldn't even make it through warmup calisthenics (jumping jacks, jump rope, shadow boxing) much less the class and the end of class conditioning (leg lifts, some plyometrics, burpees).

Also - is there anything I can eat to help speed up recovery of muscles or is it just a waiting game? I'm going from doughball to hitting the gym a lot so I'm trying to keep up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 9:30pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found that on weeks when I train several consecutive days I sometimes just feel "off" and can't do anything right.

I think training 3-4 days per week is where it's at for both skills and/or conditioning training, so you have those off days to recover at the beginning. Once you feel like you have a solid base, you can train more days, by alternating the sorts of things you are doing.

Rule of thumb: Don't do stuff that has a high probability of burning you out or making you quit.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 10:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need to know your height, weight and age to make any kind of remotely accurate suggestion. Failing that, I would suggest no more than 2 days a week for 3 months of martial arts and 1 different day devoted to physical conditioning. No more than that. Allowing for recuperation goes a long way in preventing both short term injury and long term wear and tear.

If you're 19 and bulletproof, maybe more. If you're 35 and overweight, then what I wrote is applicable.

Also, you'll need to make sure you're eating healthily.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 12:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey sorry about being vague before. I'm Female, 24, severely overweight - 5'7" and 260 lbs. Had lost some before and gained some back - took care of the mental side of things so now the physical is starting to follow after quite the long battle. Sedentary artist job / student.

Just started eating healthy a month ago and completely cut out added sugars as much as I could (if it's sprinkled or hidden in sauces I will deal with it once and a while) and I've been feeling much better overall. I'd describe it as about 3/4 paleo. No more soda, very little grain intake, curbed the alcohol, pretty much just plants and animals in my mouth.
    Last edited by XXIV; 7/14/2012 12:32am at .

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 12:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    I've found that on weeks when I train several consecutive days I sometimes just feel "off" and can't do anything right.

I think training 3-4 days per week is where it's at for both skills and/or conditioning training, so you have those off days to recover at the beginning. Once you feel like you have a solid base, you can train more days, by alternating the sorts of things you are doing.

Rule of thumb: Don't do stuff that has a high probability of burning you out or making you quit.
    Oops didn't see your reply, thank you kindly for the input. I guess it's just something I have to take my time to get through? I might be trying to make this into rocket science when I really need to just shut up and listen to my body