Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Set me straight.

In general is it frowned apon to promote a bjj program while wearing a judo black belt while being ranked a purple in bjj. Or just a little shifty.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on exactly what you mean by 'promote' it sounds at minimum slightly unwise.
  3. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharon View Post
    In general is it frowned apon to promote a bjj program while wearing a judo black belt while being ranked a purple in bjj. Or just a little shifty.
    If you have to ask, you may have answered your own question. If I was a black belt in Judo, I would focus on Judo and integrate bjj on the side, but I wouldn't in good conscience be able to sell the idea that i am an expert if I only held a purple belt just my 2.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it's pretty shifty. Yea it's kinda frowned upon. People will assume because you are wearing a black belt, and promoting BJJ that you are a BJJ black belt. Wear your purple belt, it's more honest. And there is nothing unimpressive about a purple belt IMHO. I'd take a lesson from someone wearing a purple belt any day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Depending on exactly what you mean by 'promote' it sounds at minimum slightly unwise.
    By promote I mean to make a promotional video for your website. I'm leaning towards your slightly unwise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    And there is nothing unimpressive about a purple belt IMHO. I'd take a lesson from someone wearing a purple belt any day.
    I Agree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eloneamigo View Post
    If you have to ask, you may have answered your own question. .
    I Disagree.
  8. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Disagree.
    You weren't very specific on what "promoting" bjj meant. It almost sounded like you wanted to open a bjj program with a purple belt while being or wearing a black belt in judo. If you want a specific rebuttal ask a specific question. It sounded like you were asking if it's ok to mislead or use one belt to promote another form. Not being a dick or anything your question was vague at best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 1:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eloneamigo View Post
    You weren't very specific on what "promoting" bjj meant. It almost sounded like you wanted to open a bjj program with a purple belt while being or wearing a black belt in judo. If you want a specific rebuttal ask a specific question. It sounded like you were asking if it's ok to mislead or use one belt to promote another form. Not being a dick or anything your question was vague at best.
    I think "is it frowned apon to promote a bjj program while wearing a judo black belt while being ranked a purple in bjj. Or just a little shifty." Is pretty specific. I don't see why it would matter rather it was me or not wrong is wrong.

But if it makes you happy no it's not me.
  10. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think "is it frowned apon to promote a bjj program while wearing a judo black belt while being ranked a purple in bjj. Or just a little shifty." Is pretty specific. I don't see why it would matter rather it was me or not wrong is wrong.

But if it makes you happy no it's not me.
    It was a vague question in which the medium of the "bjj promotion's" context would be applied. If their doing a video wearing their purple belt that's one thing, but you didnt specify whether the black belt has their own judo school, and they are trying to add bjj into their judo program while wearing their black belt from judo, which ultimately makes a big fucking difference. If they are attempting to teach "BJJ" while only wearing a black belt they earned in Judo, well you answered your own question, yes it's dishonest, and they would fraud to purport anything other than their actual earned rank.
    Last edited by eloneamigo; 7/13/2012 1:27pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast