Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 12:36am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh you mean since your opponent's stance is mirrored knees have a better opening? Where do you train at? Thanks for input bud I do appreciate it!
    I think he meant when you are clinched up
    I meant when you are throwing your kicks, and both of you kick at the same time and thwack knees accidentally.

I train in a gym near Wat Pho Temple in Surat Thani, I'm not sure it has a name.

On actual effect of being a Southpaw during the clinch and with knees, there's not a huge difference I've noticed as while you have a preferred arm for doing "technique" (throws?) I tend to take knees with whatever leg is handy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 1:00am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I fight south paw, and like it, using right for Kizami tsuki is great for the control I have and I like having the option to switch if I have to say using taisabki and changing my feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 3:03am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese View Post
    I'm a Southpaw, born a lefty at everything. If you do make the switch, be wary of knee-banging it'll happen way more often now.
    Man I always get my lead foot stepped on or accidentally do the same to others when in close and its annoying. Counter-jabbing to the body is my favourite bonus though, fun stuff orthos tend not to be used to

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 4:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese View Post
    I'm a Southpaw, born a lefty at everything. If you do make the switch, be wary of knee-banging it'll happen way more often now.
    I've had too many encounters with knee banging. I'm a natural lefty too so I fight using the Southpaw stance as well. Countering left lead rear kicks with your rear cut kick get a little slow too but I've been able to work that out a lot during timing sparring. I like to counter kickers with the left cross or a lead teep to their left side of their abdomen instead (if you're looking at him it'll be your right side).

Also I've heard many experienced fighters will try to target your liver if they are fighting against Southpaws since it's a lot more forward. People who fight left lead will joke around saying they can't knock out Southpaws, so they hit them in the liver hahaha.

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 9:19pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hinsaru View Post
    I've had too many encounters with knee banging. I'm a natural lefty too so I fight using the Southpaw stance as well. Countering left lead rear kicks with your rear cut kick get a little slow too but I've been able to work that out a lot during timing sparring. I like to counter kickers with the left cross or a lead teep to their left side of their abdomen instead (if you're looking at him it'll be your right side).

Also I've heard many experienced fighters will try to target your liver if they are fighting against Southpaws since it's a lot more forward. People who fight left lead will joke around saying they can't knock out Southpaws, so they hit them in the liver hahaha.
    Good point on the liver, I hadn't considered that before. And good counter, I like the left cross a lot as well and I often do a right teep to their forward/posting leg as well or an inside leg kick with my left under their kick. I'm so slow on checking kicks that's it's about all I can do.

Do you check mostly with your back leg or your lead?

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 1:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah I heard the best way to be aware of your liver is to make sure your lead foot (right foot for us southpawers) to be outside of your mixed lead opponent's foot (their left foot which is the right side if you're facing them). This will make it a lot more harder for your opponent to reach you since they have to get you inside and at a certain angle.

Our instructor likes to teach us a hybrid of Muay Thai offensive techniques but be elusive and use footwork like Savate when it comes to sparring. What I like doing is actually moving the lead foot away (like you're trying to get gum off your feet) and although it's a great evasive technique for leg kicks, it works well for the body kick too in my opinion. But to answer your question, I was taught to always check kicks with my lead leg since my instructor believe it's the easiest way to throw combos right after your opponent kicks. I think it's personal preference though, I've seen people check with their rear leg, with their lead, or even with both. What I'm having trouble a lot is when people kick with their lead leg when you're orthodox. Those lead leg kicks without the switch step are almost impossible to see especially if they set it up right hahaha.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 1:15am

Style: karate/kickbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im really interested in savate man. do you like it?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123