Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Might switch to South Paw, anyone else go to the dark side?

Never thought I would be saying this, but it would appear that my left leg is beastier than my right leg. I am actually pondering to set up as a southpaw MT practitioner, was wondering if any of you have gone through a similar change where kicks are considered heavy artillery?

What I realized is that I am right handed, but left eye dominant when I shoot guns. When I skate or surf i am goofy foot, "left foot pushing" which might explain why my left foot is more co-ordinated.

My coach recommended trying both ways, and said that SP for MT can be advantageous against right handers since you have ways to counter the dreaded straight right which SP's must pay attention to when Boxing.

Have any of you guys gone through a similar situation after training for a while and discovered that you have been boxing with the wrong foot forward so to speak?

Any way, I know I can't be the only one who has experienced this, interested in learning more about making a decision on the matter.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:19am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also a righty and my front leg kicks are pretty nasty, but I don't think I'd want to switch. Most people don't really watch the front leg all that much, and they sure as hell don't expect it to be delivered with much power. It seems like the general idea is that front leg kicks are for speed, but you can really crank the crap out of them if you set it up right, and it almost always surprises the hell out of my sparring partners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:00am

Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a long time boxer, can or do you feel that your lt. cross is delivered accurately and with power? The lf cross is also the big gun against righties. Joe
  4. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I'm also a righty and my front leg kicks are pretty nasty, but I don't think I'd want to switch. Most people don't really watch the front leg all that much, and they sure as hell don't expect it to be delivered with much power. It seems like the general idea is that front leg kicks are for speed, but you can really crank the crap out of them if you set it up right, and it almost always surprises the hell out of my sparring partners.
    I was thinking similarly, especially for switch kicks, that being sneakier my be more advantageous than telegraphing that your back leg is more powerful. What camp are you training at currently? I am planning to head out your way in about a year, maybe sooner. I was thinking of checking out the new Banchamek gym in Surin Village. How long have you been doing MT? Do you fight in Thailand as well? Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.
  5. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    As a long time boxer, can or do you feel that your lt. cross is delivered accurately and with power? The lf cross is also the big gun against righties. Joe
    Thanks bud, I have only been boxing for about 2 or 3 years, so I would say I am a mediocre boxer that works hard, but compared to many people I train with I am definitely on the lower end of the totem pole LOL. My leftX is solid though, but i would say my right is my power hand. What I am starting to think is that I was one of those kids who were a lefty at birth and was forced to write with my right, maybe I should start trying to become ambidextrous and figure out from there. Thanks for your input bud I do appreciate it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also ride goofy footed and skateboarding has firmly established my right leg as a balancing post while my left foot is a kicking device. Its for this reason that I actually like a regular lead- because I like to use front leg thrusting kicks. I've been considering using a right lead more so to link my stickfighting and empty hand together more closely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:36pm

Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick training tip: stand in front of a mirror for 5 or 10 mins a day. Practice your jabs and crosses, making sure you do not drop hands. That your hands returt to the correct position each time. Start slowly at first and steadily increase your speed especially the return to guard. Joe
  8. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good call, thanks for your point of view, as it's kind of messy being left eye dominant, right hand dominant, left foot dominant and trying disseminate what to do from there. I know I wasn't the only going through this similar scenario, so i always welcome any personal insight on the matter.
  9. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    A quick training tip: stand in front of a mirror for 5 or 10 mins a day. Practice your jabs and crosses, making sure you do not drop hands. That your hands returt to the correct position each time. Start slowly at first and steadily increase your speed especially the return to guard. Joe
    Thanks man, I was doing something similar with a tennis ball tied to a string and pop it for hand eye coordination development, do you mean, if I decide to switch over to SP? Or just in general to develop quicker hands?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say beastier, do yo mean it feels way harder or bigger? My right side is bigger than my left side, apparently to compensate the more stronger left side.

BTW when i throw a punch with my left, and my right, my right feels like "yeah! hard shot! nice" and my left feels like "this is going to go through my opponents body then explode on contact" (born SP)
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast