Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:43pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. It speaks to your character, though it may not be a good indicator of future behavior;
    Lord knows many of us have had our "scrapes" at a younger age.

2. More likely, at least here in the States, it has to do with insurance. People like to sue
    here if they are injured and the cause was negligence or psychosis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:58am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its on the Doce Pares registration form, but I'm reasonably sure its an insurance thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 6:52am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a UK perspective there is no point in ringing up the local Police as they won't tell you (data protection etc).

As mentioned earlier you would also have to take into account the rehabilitation of offenders act that detirmines if you have to declare a previous offence for applying for a job/insurance etc (not sure how that would apply for a martial arts club).

In short, in the UK it is pretty damned difficult to find out unless you put a lot of effort and money into finding out of someone has a criminal record.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While a lot of on-line information is available, it is hard to tell sometimes. I always checked the sex-offender, and local court web sites. I did it more as a precaution; didn't want some thug or pervert beating, groping, or licking on students.
    I can see an issue with insurance, but mine only required a waiver (that wasn't worth much). I haven't operated a school since 1994, so things may have changed.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I've never had to pass a background check to study with anybody myself.

The kind of person who's just going to use their skills to bully people or rape women or whatever b.s. they think their going to be able to do usually out themselves pretty fast. They tend not to take well to discipline or patience and they can't be an Uke without getting all personally butt hurt and turing things into 7#3 R341 D34D1Y.
    How do you know that? did you and your friends not do well? which MA in your opinion is best for raping and pillaging with emphasis on raping?

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I've been convicted of "violent crime", twice, in the early 90s when I was in my late teens. Neither of them was for bottling someone. One was for burning a colleague with a teaspoon. True story.

I've been asked several times when working in various places, applying for visas and God knows what else . Never said anything about it. I wouldn't tell an MA school if they asked either.

If you bottled someone that makes you a **** btw.
    What is "to bottle someone?" is it when you smear Vaseline all over a bottle and stick it up someone's ass?! if so it does make you a C*&@..that is not a nice thing to do, i sure wouldn't want someone that did that to train with me! i can understand your instructor for not allowing you to train with them..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    What is "to bottle someone?" is it when you smear Vaseline all over a bottle and stick it up someone's ass?! if so it does make you a C*&@..that is not a nice thing to do, i sure wouldn't want someone that did that to train with me! i can understand your instructor for not allowing you to train with them..

Hee hee - it's Brit slang, it's to smash a bottle and then shove it in someones face. Common past time in the UK

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Hee hee - it's Brit slang, it's to smash a bottle and then shove it in someones face. Common past time in the UK
    Oh, that one is a little bit better, still not nice but at least less sexual..
    When people from the UK say " he lost his bottle and ran" what do they mean by that? that the guy lost his weapon so he got scared and ran?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Oh, that one is a little bit better, still not nice but at least less sexual..
    When people from the UK say " he lost his bottle and ran" what do they mean by that? that the guy lost his weapon so he got scared and ran?
    Nope - having "bottle" is roughly translated as having "guts", if you lost your bottle it means that you wimped out and ran off

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:33am

Style: TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Nope - having "bottle" is roughly translated as having "guts", if you lost your bottle it means that you wimped out and ran off
    Sounds like you could start a thread with "UK slang and Pub Crawling" That would be a hoot.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast