Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial arts vetting.

Sup guys

Why when starting some martial arts, but not all of them they ask you if you have ever been convicted of violence.

But i thought about this and i don't think they can even find out.

I mean what do they do? ring up the local police station and say "hello i'm a local karate/jujitsu instructor and i want to know if mr smith has ever had any fights. so can you bring up his criminal record file."

and what happens if they did, would they say to you one session oh your doing very well with the kata but we checked your background and you bottled someone in 96 so unfortunatly we can't teach you anymore sorry about that.

What are your thoughts on this is it a load of old bollocks?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollykate View Post
    Sup guys
    Sup

Why when starting some martial arts, but not all of them they ask you if you have ever been convicted of violence.
    Personally never been asked this when signing up for any MA. Not sure how to answer since this is a business decision by the owner of the establishment.

Sure they can if you answer "yes"

I mean what do they do? ring up the local police station and say "hello i'm a local karate/jujitsu instructor and i want to know if mr smith has ever had any fights. so can you bring up his criminal record file."
    Might work. Depends on where you live and what the policies are on releasing criminal information

and what happens if they did, would they say to you one session oh your doing very well with the kata but we checked your background and you bottled someone in 96 so unfortunatly we can't teach you anymore sorry about that.
    Why yes they can exclude you from their establishment.

What are your thoughts on this is it a load of old bollocks?
    Can't say as I never had to deal with it. It is a business decision though. Why does it matter to you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:24pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been convicted of "violent crime", twice, in the early 90s when I was in my late teens. Neither of them was for bottling someone. One was for burning a colleague with a teaspoon. True story.

I've been asked several times when working in various places, applying for visas and God knows what else . Never said anything about it. I wouldn't tell an MA school if they asked either.

If you bottled someone that makes you a **** btw.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:29pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the TKD school I attend there is a 'do you have a criminal record' part for your black belt, but I think its just for the insurance

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do the Gardai ever really give anyone criminal records though? I always thought all the micks were generally up to no good with complete impunity?

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had to pass a background check to study with anybody myself.

The kind of person who's just going to use their skills to bully people or rape women or whatever b.s. they think their going to be able to do usually out themselves pretty fast. They tend not to take well to discipline or patience and they can't be an Uke without getting all personally butt hurt and turing things into 7#3 R341 D34D1Y.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:44pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Do the Gardai ever really give anyone criminal records though? I always thought all the micks were generally up to no good with complete impunity?
    An example of an Irish criminal record

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My current teacher had a "Do you have a criminal record?" question on the form when I started and a line to explain. Two of his top students are active LEOs, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he never followed up on it. It kinda makes sense to me- at least if I were to ever get into some trouble eskrimaing people and they decided to question my teacher, he could point to the piece of paper, so even if I lied at least there's a record that says that I said my record is clean. In this respect, I don't think that a background check is usual even though the criminal record part is common enough. I seem to recall that from my old kung fu school too. I also wonder if its a bit of a marketing gimmick, to imply how dangerous the art is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

In my state, anybody can use the above to look up anybody else's convictions. And there are numerous other such sites, both free and paid, with varying degrees of effectiveness. Finding out if somebody has been convicted of a violent crime, at least as an adult, is pretty easy.
    Last edited by dougguod; 7/11/2012 6:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the link for the OP, who's in the UK if memory serves:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJus...ords/DG_199794

Salient points - members of the public can't check on other people's criminal records, any conviction becomes spent after a certain period and once it's spent your are no longer required to declare it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast