fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the dark side ;-p.

I used to be a stand-up guy for decades (I consider Hapkido more stand-up than grappling), but once I discovered BJJ and Judo I keep a good mix between stand-up and grappling.

What is the background of the "Submission Wrestling"?
    What is the background of the instructor?

I'm just asking so because "Submission Wrestling" is just a portmanteau for No-Gi Grappling Arts.
    It could stand for Catch Wrestling, Shoot Wrestling, No-Gi BJJ, the grappling part of Combat Submission Wrestling, a combination of HS Wrestling and Judo, No-Gi Sport SAMBO? You name it and it all can be "Submission Wrestling".

Probabely your instructor will be legit, but it's better to ask both questions because at your level there's a good chance that you can't make a distinction between crappling and grappling.

Have fun, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:31pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good question. My coach started out as a high-school wrestler before getting into Muay Thai. His "submission wrestling" has come sporadically through training for MMA fights. I don't think he has any credentials of any kind, nor does he claim to. We share gym space with a Pro-Wrestling organization, some of whom are also legit wrestlers, but none of them were coaching the class I was at.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Good question. My coach started out as a high-school wrestler before getting into Muay Thai. His "submission wrestling" has come sporadically through training for MMA fights. I don't think he has any credentials of any kind, nor does he claim to. We share gym space with a Pro-Wrestling organization, some of whom are also legit wrestlers, but none of them were coaching the class I was at.
    Not a problem at all.
    There are two ways to check if you get decent training:
    - instructors credentials and/or competition record
    - students competition records

Having a decent HS Wrestling background is already a good and legit beginning. Finishing techniques (armbars, leglocks and chokes) can be easely added if there's already a Wrestling background.

Does he have students in MMA and/or Submission Grappling tournaments and if so, how do they perform?

Well, I wish you all the best luck on this path and I hope that there are some real Catch As Catch Can Wrestlers in that Pro-Wrestling Org and that they show you some great techniques.

I always found it a shame that CACC is slowly disapearing from the worldwide Wrestling scene, it's a great style that has inspired a lot of other styles of grappling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea we have several fighters who fight in amateur MMA bouts. In our most recent competition all three of our fighters lost :-( but a couple of them have others wins on their records.

Our coach has a pretty decent ground-game as far as I can tell from watching his fights.

I think the people who can't afford BJJ are maintaining a good wrestling presence, like our gym for example, it's small and not too profitable yet. Oh for the days of the great gama and frank gotch!
  5. Derpjitsu

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling turns into a chess match once you start getting into sparring. Also wipes me 2x as fast as standup bag work.

I took FMA for 5yrs and unfortunately had to take legendary bullshido Kyusho Jitsu grappling with it as well as for some reason this 8th dan Dillman guy would come in every month and do grappling. We all knew it was bullshido but did it anyways just to get our FMA blackbelts in Arnis. So I have 5 years of Kyusho bullshido Jitsu grappling until I left to go do BJJ as I couldn't handle the Dillman bullshit anymore.

For lulz, I've tried out some of the Dillman stuff while sparring and it does work for pain compliance to break somebody's guard just enough to slip out, but only in sparring. No real fighter would care at all about pain, they break their hands and tear groin muscles and keep fighting all the time and we always knew this although the Kyusho Jitsu guy would basically threaten us whenever we called some of his bullshido. He also claimed to KO me (when I didn't believe him) by surprise palm striking me square in the back of the neck just behind the ear when I busy doing an FMA BB demonstration and wasn't even paying attention. "See your pupils dialated, you're KO'd" uhh no I'm still standing here with a rattan stick in my hand ready to choke you out with it.

In the demonstrations you see them doing these ridiculous light knocks and the guy drops, but in the 'class' the guy basically judo chop's you right to the neck. Dangerous strike moves, reckless, stupid and doesn't even really work. I hope all those guy's end up in prison someday for endagerment and fraud.

But that's how I got into grappling, from bullshido.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Great and Almighty XXIV has also found grappling this past week and is addicted but extremely sore from getting wiped all over the mat. Lots of BJJ but also elements of other types of wrestling mixed in - we have an all BJJ guy but there is some sambo and greco-roman leaking in.

XXIV the kung fu lover... She learned to shrimp! She learned to sprawl! She got armbarred 10 times and learned to shoot, only took hitting her head on the mat once to remember to breakfall! Hopefully soon she will stop flopping around like a walrus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm.....walrus......new kung fu animal form?

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 6:57pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, we did not. But thank you for your contribution. Now we are better informed.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    No, we did not. But thank you for your contribution. Now we are better informed.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling Rocks? I am unaware of this individual.

/bad joke off

Yes, to me when I first started I saw it as the realistic version of what kung fu movie masters did to people when they threw them and broke their bones. Then it got more gritty and real, and now it's going back to magical. My favorite thing about grappling it becomes entirely individual after a certain point. You can mold moves to you and "own it".

Pretty much like a real life RPG, except I can't have elf ears.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast